Thread: Harsh 1/2 shift --- 4L65e

Tuner in Training

Harsh 1/2 shift --- 4L65e

I pulled the trans to have the converter tightened up and since I was there I had the trans ckd out. Found that there had been some slippage in the forward clutch and the band so I had my trans rebuilt with billet input and output shafts, billet 2nd and 4th gear servos, etc. Previously, it had a corvette servo (nice crisp shift), but this time we went with the billlet 2nd gear servo along with all of the other mods. The trans shifts great, but the 1/2 shift is really firm at moderate to heavy acceleration. The builders intent wasn't to create a firm or harsh shift, but he was trying to increase capacity/holding force.

The trans is in an AWD Silverado SS that currently runs 12.20's. I will be dropping those times down into the 11's and I'm afraid with the firm shifts I have now, it will break stuff.

I would like to soften up the shift by one of the two methods:

1. Reduce the values in the 1/2 shift pressure table
    2. Go back to the vette servo

I would prefer #1 but I'm afraid of reducing the pressure and potentially damaging the band.....Maybe a normal practice though hence my question....

Thoughts?

Tuner
    Are your pressures at stock level right now?
    I agree with you on not wanting to cut the pressure in half, I'd just go back to the vette servo.
    I can't wait until I can control the slushbox in my truck

Tuner in Training
    Pressures are elevated over stock. Around 225-230psi. I agree that the vette servo is looking to be the best option.

Right now, if I understand how this table is working corrrectly, I'm cutting my line pressure down xx% at the time of the 1/2 shift. If I understand that correctly, that is not only cutting my pressure for the 1/2 shift, but pressure in the trans overall. In other words pressure to the forward clutch which I can't think is good.

There is another table besides the "Shift Pressure" table that can be used to make adjustments to the 1/2 shift. It's called "Shift Pressure Modifier Upshift" table.

I would like to know what that table does specifically different than the "Shift Pressure" table?????? Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty05 View Post
    Are your pressures at stock level right now?
    I agree with you on not wanting to cut the pressure in half, I'd just go back to the vette servo.
    I can't wait until I can control the slushbox in my truck

I think that the new servo is whats cranking your pressure up.

If other gears are okay, I would do a trial and error test on taking about "10" off from 200ft lbs and lower from your NORMAL shift table. If you're running in to it bottoming out @ zero in your pressure table and still being too much, then your only options are:

1) Replace that solenoid with a vette
    or
    2) [if thats not an option] take the left half of your force motor table and add 150 or 200 to it, fade them together to get a ramp, then go back and firm up the 2>3 and 3>4 shifts.

Personally, I wouldnt think that servo would do that to you to that extent but anything is possible.

If you'd like, send it to me and I'll see if I can fix it for you.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Zippy. E-mail sent your way.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy performance View Post
    If you'd like, send it to me and I'll see if I can fix it for you.