Thread: Replacing a problematic ECM

Replacing a problematic ECM

A friend is replacing the ECM in his 06 CTS-V under the assumption that its causing his codes and triggering REP mode. He asked if I could reflash the replacement computer. I have not licenced the stock computer. Will I be able to download his stock tune and write it to the replacement computer using the write entire feature without licensing the original computer? In other words, I'm hoping to only license the replacement computer. Is that the case?
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

Fighting solves everything...
    ...except partial differential equations.

Click here to combine multiple VE Logs into one.

Senior Tuner
    No, you will have to license the original file and the new pcm. This will only work if it is a used pcm. If it is a new one it has to flashed by the dealer first.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Why not just read out both pcm's, license the NEW pcm and copy over the differences from the OLD pcm to the new file? Takes about 10 seconds to copy over all the differences from one file to another.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Why not just read out both pcm's, license the NEW pcm and copy over the differences from the OLD pcm to the new file? Takes about 10 seconds to copy over all the differences from one file to another.
    That's what I was thinking.

My friend just stopped by to show me the computers he picked up at a junkyard. He bought two. But here's the thing, they're out of Impalas. He has a CTS-v which is a 6.0 with a 5 speed and the Impalas are 3.5s with autos and front wheel drive. Is it possible that the computers will work? I know I can't just copy all that stuff over, since they're autos, but might a write entire work if I license everything?
    2006 Tahoe
    Iron ls2, built up 4l60e w/vig 3000 stall, 232/234 114, 4.30s, LTs, ORY NNBS intake and LS2 TB etc.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Give it a shot, worst case scenerio is it fries the pcm

Its really best if you have it flashed to the proper calibration via tech 2, read with our software, license & tune away.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

All right. I emailed Wait4Me. I think they may be able to do just that. I'll check the cost at the dealership as well. Thanks you guys.
    2006 Tahoe