Thread: boost control with stock sensors

Tuner in Training

boost control with stock sensors

In an effort to fix my raped DAL table, I decided to import a gms1 proportional max table. The far right column ends with 23.2 vs 17.4 for the stock OS. It appears that it did not work as the 17.4 is still on the header. I wanted to put my DAL's back to stock or close to stock and use the newly add waste gate contol. Waste gate control is all very new to me so I guess I am a little lost. Can someone help me with this?
    2009 SS/TC

Click on the header for the columns, it'll pop a table for the column headers then you can change them to the new values. If you are running the stock sensors, IDK why you want to change the columns though. The sensors will never read (measure) over 22.4 psi.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Tuner in Training
    I tried clicking on the column header and a table came up to change load not boost. Clicking on the row header creates a table for rpm as it should.

Good point on the stock sensors. I want to stay at the same boost level ~ 22psi but use the waste gate control instead of DAL's. Maybe my logic isn't correct....even if you max out the 17.4 column to 100%, then all you'll get is 17.4 (with stock DAL's)???? I want to use stock DAL's and only use waste gate control to refine my tune. Thoughts....
    2009 SS/TC

It's not a limit, it's a setpoint. That table header reads in kPa, you need to convert it if you want psi it seems. If you use the stock DAL's and work the wastegate I don't think you will get to 22 psi anyway. Nothing wrong with increasing the DAL's as needed to get boost, just don't rape it. Let me look at a stock sensor tune I did for a guy...brb.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Here's what I did for a car at 5k elevation to get to 22 psi. You will need to reduce the Duty Cycle Correction table Desired boost % in the midrange to keep from spiking very high in the midrange unless you are at 5k elev. Try 60% at 3500 rpm and ramp up from there. Smooth it also.

The second attachment is the one I used for 24 psi with the GMPP 3 bar MAPs.

Edit...I hosed that, I'll try again in the next post.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Here's the screenshots... These had good drivabillity, weren't too touchy and boosted well.

This was how I reduced the midrange boost on the 3 bar MAPS... You might need more or less depending on mods, sensors, ect. My boost was flat until the turbo ran out of steam up top.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    On the first screen of the turbocharger tab, the change from 240kpa to 270kpa is a boost limiter? Were you getting boost spikes in the lower gears before the adjustment to the duty corr table? I like how you used the torque per gear table on your own car. That wouldn't work if you were getting spikes in the lower gears.
    2009 SS/TC

Quote Originally Posted by stratosteve View Post
    On the first screen of the turbocharger tab, the change from 240kpa to 270kpa is a boost limiter? Were you getting boost spikes in the lower gears before the adjustment to the duty corr table? I like how you used the torque per gear table on your own car. That wouldn't work if you were getting spikes in the lower gears.
    1.Yes, but it will still overshoot and overcorrect if you try to use it as a limit.

2. Not so much in the lower gears as traction was an issue, but in third & fourth, yes.

3. I used 90% torque/gear in 4th & 5th just to stay under 24 psi for speed runs, otherwise it would pull 25-26 ish in 4th & 5th. It was set up for 3rd gear pulls initially.

No one approch is right or wrong, just different means to an end. This is what I favored on mine.

Tuner in Training
    Tweaked what you did a little and loaded it up. Did a short run just using the aeroforce for reference (will log later when it isn't so hot). Peak boost in the mid to high 22's, so pretty good guess! Second spiked to 22.xx and then held 21.xx to rev limit (oops that came a little fast!). Not sure what sensor the aeroforce uses for boost, so that might not be totally accurate. Did notice some kr that I never had before. Could be due to heat. I will see where it is during the logs. Higher gears (3+4th) seemed to spike into the 22's according to my aeroforce.
    2009 SS/TC

Glad it's working out for you. Splash in some Ethanol. adjust the inj constant and add timing to suit. lol.

Tuner in Training
    GRRR....getting some kr or phantom kr. Strange when looking at it in chart form, some of the kr happens on individual cylinders BEFORE wot. Getting some very random kr during cruise with low pedal %. IAT's around 90 and IAT2's around 109 at the end of a third gear pull. I think I am going to what until it cools down some before doing anymore.
    2009 SS/TC

thanks for the tables im liking them alot . My first run with these i siked at liek 26, it pulled really hard there but idk if i like it being that high. Also my boost dies off hard starting at 5k. It falls from what my log says 22 down to 16 at 6500 which is what i have my rev limiter set at. I do have stock sensors though.

edit, i saw your gear limiting im going to change that now. Will that also reduce the timing? Im having an issue where 2nd likes alot of timing, but with the extra load in 3rd it knocks a little.
    Last edited by Dayhoff35; 07-13-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Won't reduce the timing, just lowers the boost in & 4th & 5th for speed runs.

Tuner in Training
    I am a little concerned that I might be overboosting. I am "flatlining" like dayhoff35 is. My logs are maxed out (stock sensors) but my interceptor is holding 22.7 through the areas in question. Does anyone know if the interceptor is remotely close to actual?
    2009 SS/TC

i believe interceptor reads it as i have mine set up in hp tuners which is map-16.7 i have a new pid that i was shown that is supposed to let you read actual boost [PID.2338.PSI]-[PID.51.PSI] try that in your log.

Tuner in Training
    I had to reduce my DAL's to 220 in the spike area (around 4k). Now that they are reduced, the torque/gear is very noticeable. I was experimenting with 3rd and left it at 90% @3500. During a wot pull, it spiked to 22.7 then lowered to 19.x and back up to 21.x. Pretty cool feature. Temps were much cooler this evening and no kr with the new DAL's.
    2009 SS/TC