Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10-11 V6 Camaro support, why not?

Tuner in Training
    Glad to see the Camaro5 guys coming on here and showing intrest. Be careful, though. Bill get's tired of customers asking for this support, and already locked the last thread. Hopefully Chris is a little more interested in folloeing through.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid View Post
    Glad to see the Camaro5 guys coming on here and showing intrest. Be careful, though. Bill get's tired of customers asking for this support, and already locked the last thread. Hopefully Chris is a little more interested in folloeing through.
    I don't mind people asking for support, I'm the one that receives all the new support requests. What I don't like is people calling me a dick for basically stating that not everyone with a v6 wants to mod & tune their vehicle. Personal attacks on our forum are uncalled for and will not be tolerated.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I don't mind people asking for support, I'm the one that receives all the new support requests. What I don't like is people calling me a dick for basically stating that not everyone with a v6 wants to mod & tune their vehicle. Personal attacks on our forum are uncalled for and will not be tolerated.

[QUOTE=Bill@HPTuners;223134]Majority sold doesn't always = majority getting mods or tuning. My mom had a gen 4 Camaro V6, did she mod or tune it...um no.

[QUOTE]

I felt your comment was rude and not called for. Follow your own forum rules when addressing paying costumers.
    Last edited by kid; 07-21-2011 at 09:11 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    [quote=kid;263335][quote=Bill@HPTuners;223134]Majority sold doesn't always = majority getting mods or tuning. My mom had a gen 4 Camaro V6, did she mod or tune it...um no.

I felt your comment was rude and not called for. Follow your own forum rules when addressing paying costumers.
    Here is the whole thread so this doesn't just get taken out of context http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...light=majority

Stating that a high production vehicle doesn't mean people are modifying it isn't rude, its an educated opinion. Also the FACT that my mom owned a gen 4 camaro v6 that she didn't modify is just that, a FACT. In many cases you'll find higher prices and lower availably for V6 parts because of this. For my GTP there are very few header choices and what is out there is upwards of a grand whereas for an LS1 Camaro could be had for less than $400. Try and find aftermarket heads for a GTP, theres always talk but most never come to fruition because the amount of people willing to spend the $ up front to cover the R&D cost are few and far between.

The top Ten Best selling cars of 2010 included the Toyota Camry, honda accord, & toyota corolla. Lets just say we aren't jumping to get into those markets.

In any event nobody came on here and called you a Dick such as you did. You are out of line and if you continue to push the issue we will be forced to act.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 07-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I won't continue to argue my comment vs your comment, because we obviously both feel we were in the right. We will argree to disagree.

I understand your comment about Hondas and Toyotas. However, you are looking at differant groups of people buying these cars. People are modding the Camry, Accord and COrolla, they just aren't going to the extent that the Camaro owners are. At the end of the day, it would be nice to have this program written for our cars, but for now we'll just give our money to Trifecta and soon a couple of other companies.

Tuner in Training
    Peoples that buy camry's are not the same group of peoples that buy camaros lol. I think it make alot more sense to compare in the chllenger and mustang arena than a toyota/honda, and that is not a guess but an educated fact. We have tons and tons of aftermarket parts available for our v6 5th gen camaros at a very competitive price as any other vehicles in the same category. We dont have any issue in those areas at all.

Also, tuning is not even really an issue with our camaros either with trifecta and now hypertech in the market.The problem is that there are some peoples that want to be able to tune their own cars and that is the reason why we are hoping you guys can come through. There are many things that I disagree with regarding your outlook on the 5th gen V6 camaro, but out of respect of being on your forum and on your playground I will just keep my thoughts to myself.

Maybe you guys should poke your head in once in a while over at camaro5.com.. maybe you will change the way you think of what is priority.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by V84BRKFST View Post
    Peoples that buy camry's are not the same group of peoples that buy camaros lol. I think it make alot more sense to compare in the chllenger and mustang arena than a toyota/honda, and that is not a guess but an educated fact. We have tons and tons of aftermarket parts available for our v6 5th gen camaros at a very competitive price as any other vehicles in the same category. We dont have any issue in those areas at all.
    Thats fine, personally I haven't had anyone with a V6 Challenger/Charger contact us for a solution everyone I've had asking for Dodge is either a Hemi, SRT4 or Viper thus far. We've had maybe 7-8 Mustang V6 strategies sent in for mapping in the last 3 years compared to 100 or so V8 strategies. Thats my argument and I'm sticking to it

Maybe you guys should poke your head in once in a while over at camaro5.com.. maybe you will change the way you think of what is priority.
    Actually I did, there was a thread someone started 14 days ago and there were about 10 or 12 INDIVIDUAL posters looking for a personal tuning solution. If thats the extent of the market its hard to put a high priority on putting it out there in front of other projects.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 07-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Bill,

That thread is new, but there have been multiple others in the past 11 months I've belonged to that foum.

Most of the threads go like this:
    Post 1 - How can I tune my V6? What companies have a tune for us?
    Post 2 - There's only one company, and you have to rent the cable to put the tune on.
    Post 3 - So there's no handheld like they have for the V8?
    Post 4 - No.

And that's the end of the thread and it fades into the background.

We've had several long threads where people discuss the possibility of companies like yours and those go for 2 to 4 pages. The number of VIEWS is close to 200-300 even if only 20-40 people posted.

So the forum is a good example, but it's not fully accurate, because anyone wanting a tune either searches and sees all the "nope, no handheld and no personally adjustable tune" threads and stops searching, or they post and get shut down in a heartbeat.

A better example would be to ask the Cold Air Inductions companies how many they have sold to V6 owners. If only 50% want a tune, you're still easily into the thousands. Check with CAI, inc.; Roto-Fab; Hennesey; K&N; Injen; Airaid; and several others.

Please consider contacting them and asking for sales figures. I am confident you'll see numbers that will show it's worth your time.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    So the forum is a good example, but it's not fully accurate, because anyone wanting a tune either searches and sees all the "nope, no handheld and no personally adjustable tune" threads and stops searching, or they post and get shut down in a heartbeat.
    I understand this

A better example would be to ask the Cold Air Inductions companies how many they have sold to V6 owners. If only 50% want a tune, you're still easily into the thousands. Check with CAI, inc.; Roto-Fab; Hennesey; K&N; Injen; Airaid; and several others.
    These numbers wouldn't exactly be accurate either, not everyone that buys a CAI gets a tune and a $200 intake kit is far less expensive than a $650 tuning package, some will not see value in this.

In this case it will likely come down to a "build it and they will come" mentality and it will hopefully come to fruition.

-Bill

Advanced Tuner
    I have 12 customers waiting for v6 mustangs tunes and 3 for v6 5 gen camaros, 3 vipers, 2 charger SRT10, 1 F250 V10 ... and I'm living in France ... us cars are 0.0001% here.

ho ... I've already tuned 16 camaro V6 gen 4 with hptuners ...

I don't wanna buy SCT !!!!

Maybe tuners'd buy hptuners than efilive for example if they know they can tune v6 cars too!
    Last edited by Brice; 07-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I have 12 customers waiting for v6 mustangs tunes and 3 for v6 5 gen camaros, 3 vipers, 2 charger SRT10, 1 F250 V10 ... and I'm living in France ... us cars are 0.0001% here.

ho ... I've already tuned 16 camaro V6 gen 4 with hptuners ...

I don't wanna buy SCT !!!!

Maybe tuners'd buy hptuners than efilive for example if they know they can tune v6 cars too!
    We already offer case by case tuning for Mustang V6's(2005-2010)

Advanced Tuner
    We already offer case by case tuning for Mustang V6's(2005-2010)
    ok ... so what's up with my 07 mustang (September 28, 2010 mail request) ?
    I've got a bunch of customers waiting for it !!!!

I really love your products ! As a computer engineer I know customers always moaning about the products ... and they are just ok when all is perfect (no bug)!

I don't want to dictacte your business way, it's your product, but I think it would be worth it ! Working on mustang V6 and camaro V6 besides of dodge progress we are waiting for years. GM guys knows and love your products (good reputation)! Ford guys barely knows your product and dodge ones are like 'wtf is hptuners', we will have to have great marketing.

I don't know how is tuning in USA, but in Europe, even city cars or just small diesel goody cars owners want tunes. (fuel economy, transmission tune), not specially performance oriented.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ok ... so what's up with my 07 mustang (September 28, 2010 mail request) ?
    I've got a bunch of customers waiting for it !!!!

I really love your products ! As a computer engineer I know customers always moaning about the products ... and they are just ok when all is perfect (no bug)!

I don't want to dictacte your business way, it's your product, but I think it would be worth it ! Working on mustang V6 and camaro V6 besides of dodge progress we are waiting for years. GM guys knows and love your products (good reputation)! Ford guys barely knows your product and dodge ones are like 'wtf is hptuners', we will have to have great marketing.

I don't know how is tuning in USA, but in Europe, even city cars or just small diesel goody cars owners want tunes. (fuel economy, transmission tune), not specially performance oriented.
    Brice I sent you another email regarding this, basically the software was reading it out as a 1024k pcm rather than 2048, we fixed this about 6 months ago at which time I sent you a follow up email(maybe you didn't get it for some reason )

Ford was weird in that it used 1 or 2 pcm's for each year/model so determining which pcm it is using is a pita sometimes.

-Bill

Advanced Tuner
    Excellent. Ive just received your email.
    Let me call me customer and try it asap!

Tuner in Training
    Thats fine, personally I haven't had anyone with a V6 Challenger/Charger contact us for a solution everyone I've had asking for Dodge is either a Hemi, SRT4 or Viper thus far. We've had maybe 7-8 Mustang V6 strategies sent in for mapping in the last 3 years compared to 100 or so V8 strategies. Thats my argument and I'm sticking to it

Actually I did, there was a thread someone started 14 days ago and there were about 10 or 12 INDIVIDUAL posters looking for a personal tuning solution. If thats the extent of the market its hard to put a high priority on putting it out there in front of other projects.
    That one thread you are talking about is a fairly new thread. The reason why you dont see too many peoples replying to that thread is because most peoples have given up on you guys ever coming out with a tune for v6 camaro. Maybe you should do a search for your name within the past 1 year and see how many times your name have been brought up from v6 owners that wanted your service. Another thing you might want to look into is trifecta tuning for v6 camaro. Most peoples have the full kit which is 600 bucks, now go and see how many peoples have gotten a 600 dollar kit on c5. You would be very surprised to see what you guys have been missing out on. Thanks anyway.. guess there's nothing to look forward to here anymore.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXXER View Post
    That one thread you are talking about is a fairly new thread. The reason why you dont see too many peoples replying to that thread is because most peoples have given up on you guys ever coming out with a tune for v6 camaro. Maybe you should do a search for your name within the past 1 year and see how many times your name have been brought up from v6 owners that wanted your service. Another thing you might want to look into is trifecta tuning for v6 camaro. Most peoples have the full kit which is 600 bucks, now go and see how many peoples have gotten a 600 dollar kit on c5. You would be very surprised to see what you guys have been missing out on. Thanks anyway.. guess there's nothing to look forward to here anymore.
    Thank you for your input.

Tuner in Training
    I remember in the beginning of this post chris stated that the problem is reading the files. Well, it look like EFI live have found a way to do this. Just wanted to let you HP guys know. Maybe this can give you guys more hope?

"We've tested reading on a number of different 3.6L ECM's and it works fine (06 VZ Comm-E55, 08 VE Comm-E77, 08 SRX-E77, 09 STS-E69), it takes about 12-15 mins, but we are at the mercy of Bosch's limitations there and we are currently reading out the entire ECM (OS and cals) so it does tend to drag on a bit (compared to Delphi ECM reads)."

Advanced Tuner
    I can read out my '09 CTS E69 ECM fine with EFILive, I just can't do anything with the file obviously since that's as far as they went.

Again, the customers suffer because there's no way these two companies can join forces and turn into one big WAY more productive tuning solution. Manpower, or lack of it, seems to be the biggest problem with both companies. Having two groups of people working on the same projects, towards the same goals, separately and without being able to share information isn't very productive. I'm no business expert and I'm not running either company, but if I was I'd sure try to figure out a way to join forces and dominate the market. Imagine if HPT, EFILive and Vince at Trifecta all joined to make one tuning solution company? There would be NO competition and you'd be able to support damn near every ECM out there. It's not a ridiculous idea, the tech industry has been doing it for years. If there's a company out there with ideas or product that competes with yours, or is working on the same projects as you are what do they do? They buy up the company and not only do they gain all that knowledge, they eliminate that source of competition. Now of course, that would also mean higher prices for us, but I don't think money is a huge factor with many guys that have an engine they can't tune. How much money is spent in the market on hardware mods? WAY more than is spent on an HPT or EFILive license, or even on the cables and entire tuning package.

Business 101 coming from someone that knows very little about it! I know it's not quite that easy.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2009 GMC Acadia and would love to be able to tweak it's tune for a little better economy, performance and to make adjustments to its shift calibration (maybe even some tweaks for some small add on's like a CAI). I'm not sure how big his market is or how many wackos are out there like me, but if you combine all of the V6 camaros, G8's, etc, and add on the SUV market it seems like it makes sense.

I like the guys idea about combining companies. It's just business after all and it would make you guys that much stronger if everyone involved could come to an equitable business deal. That would be cool, but probably unlikely.

Tuner in Training
    you have the pontiacs, caddys, and now the camaro, and im sure I am leaving some behind. Just to have a hp tune available for camaro would be a goldmine. Trifecta is still busy cashing in $600 plus shipping for their canned tune at least 1 a week, just check the forums. Im sure you can't say that about too many cars.