Thread: Meth tuning

Tuner

Meth tuning

What's better way of tuning for meth, adjust maf error to compensate for the added fuel. Or lean out PE to account for the difference

Depending on the mixture you run you typically use 7% less fuel. You want to compensate for it via the Maf correction/frequency. If you command a leaner PE then the car will go leaner then try to correct still when the meth is injected. You want to make a set point for the meth to come on and use that set point from then on tuning the maf correction tables. this is the easiest way ive found and had the best results with it. Anyone else have other ideas or ways?
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

I may be speaking out of turn because I haven't done it on an LNF but there are lots of schools of thought on meth tuning. Some tune without it and then spray on top of it. Some add timing with the IAT spark table when the meth hits and some add timing and lean it back out. If you just add timing its safe because the timing comes back out if IATs rise due to a meth failure. If you lean it out via the MAF or PE (MAF preferrably) then you'll be lean if the meth fails. I gained ~25 RWHP when I leaned mine out in addition to adding timing.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Running 60% ethanol & 40% gasoline and a 5 gpm nozzle on 50/50 meth my WOT fuel trims didn't change much at all. Lots of extra 02 in there already.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Tuner
    Car in question is not an LNF.. It's a tvs powered lsj.

Okay seems to me the preferred method is using maf frequency to tune out the extra fuel. Running 80/20 meth/water. This is how I have been doing it.

Never thought about using the iat tables to add the timing though. That's a good idea. I've been doing it on the main spark table.

Advanced Tuner
    I dig the idea of using the IAT table to your advantage when spraying meth.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

I thought you had a LNF sorry. Yea the IAT table will work as long as your spraying before the sensor. I always notice a negative fuel trim after spraying meth on a car that was already dialed in.

Advanced Tuner
    I was always taught to tune the MAF error. Dont use the PE. That is just how I do it though.

In the lsj we always spray before the sensor since it is on our number 1 cylinder right next to the head.

Tuner
    Correct.. In my case I am spraying after the laminova coresbut still before the sensor.

How are you spraying after them?

Tuner
    tapped the back of the manifold

Since you put it that close you sure its mixing well with the incoming air for all the cylinders?

Tuner
    yup. using this nozzle Outside mount nozzle

people direct port meth all the time. Also I have the meth facing the Laminova cores. So basically the meth injector is spraying the opposite way the air is coming in. I had pretty even flow with the manifold off the car with no air going through it. I am not worried

So you only got one of those? I understand people don't direct injection all the time but that means one per cylinder. If you got a fog with manifold of that don't mean with the air flying past it that it will do same on the car. Kinda like a fog machine works great for party but when the wind blows parties over, but I don't know meth.

Tuner
    I'm saying that people do direct injection, which means you can put the injector even closer than where my injector is..

Like I said I'm not worried. I'm spraying against the air, which should help it mix even better.

I mounted the nozzle in the bend on the cold pipe from the bottom so it aimed straight up at the throttle body. works good from what i can tell.

wait forgot you were a lsj. Best place would be after the supercharger somewhere. It just doenst seem good to have a S/C that it +200* then spray meth into it and cool all of its internals during a pull... I believe i saw some kind of spacer plate almost like a carb nitrous plate somewhere for the lsj that mounted under the S/C. idr