Thread: Turbo Surge During Shift

Tuner in Training

Turbo Surge During Shift

I know everyone's going to jump to saying "it's the stock BPV, get the forged BPV" when I post this but I'm debating whether that's really the case (even though I ordered it. LOL)

Anyways, I'm getting turbo surge during shifts but it's intermittent between starts. ie: If I start the car and on the first shift it doesn't surge, it won't surge during that whole drive. If on my next drive I do my first shift and it surges, it won't stop surging during shifts until the car is restarted. Sometimes it doesn't surge for a few consecutive drives, sometimes it surges for a few consecutive drives.) It's quite random and it's driving me nuts. One other thing to add is that this morning I had the idea to re-flash the tune and when I started the car, it went away for the drive after my re-flash but the following drive it was back. Could have been co-incidence but throwing that in there. Also getting P0236 code if the surging happens for 2 or 3 consecutive drives.

Is there some kind of controller for vaccuum going to BPV? It sort of adds up. Could something in my tune have caused this to start happening? I had the K&N SRI for about a month before I started tuning and had no issues with this then. Since I started tuning, I've gotten intermittent surging.

Any help is appreciated.
    Cobalt SS Turbo - GMS1, MPX Catted DP, MPX Catback Exhaust, K&N SRI, Custom HP Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Jar Jar View Post
    I know everyone's going to jump to saying "it's the stock BPV, get the forged BPV" when I post this but I'm debating whether that's really the case (even though I ordered it. LOL)

Anyways, I'm getting turbo surge during shifts but it's intermittent between starts. ie: If I start the car and on the first shift it doesn't surge, it won't surge during that whole drive. If on my next drive I do my first shift and it surges, it won't stop surging during shifts until the car is restarted. Sometimes it doesn't surge for a few consecutive drives, sometimes it surges for a few consecutive drives.) It's quite random and it's driving me nuts. One other thing to add is that this morning I had the idea to re-flash the tune and when I started the car, it went away for the drive after my re-flash but the following drive it was back. Could have been co-incidence but throwing that in there. Also getting P0236 code if the surging happens for 2 or 3 consecutive drives.

Is there some kind of controller for vaccuum going to BPV? It sort of adds up. Could something in my tune have caused this to start happening? I had the K&N SRI for about a month before I started tuning and had no issues with this then. Since I started tuning, I've gotten intermittent surging.

Any help is appreciated.

From what I have seen over the years is that most turbo surge is from being lean, (bad or incorrect wb setup) or waste gates not in sink for TT applications. Surge will cause a rich condition on your wideband as it is pushing air pressure back on the map/maf. I call this a false rich and in most cases adding fuel will correct it and the afr when it shows you 10:1 afr when surging.

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    From what I have seen over the years is that most turbo surge is from being lean, (bad or incorrect wb setup) or waste gates not in sink for TT applications. Surge will cause a rich condition on your wideband as it is pushing air pressure back on the map/maf. I call this a false rich and in most cases adding fuel will correct it and the afr when it shows you 10:1 afr when surging.

I been tuning with purge solenoid unplugged and my fuel trims are within 3 or 4. My PE Lamda is 1 or less everywhere. What could cause it to go rich during shifts?
    Cobalt SS Turbo - GMS1, MPX Catted DP, MPX Catback Exhaust, K&N SRI, Custom HP Tune

I would need to see a log and tune.

Tuner in Training
    I sent you an email with tune and scan.

Thanks!

Just want to add that the scan was done during a drive when I didn't have the surge. I'm sure I can scan it sometime when it is surging if that would help.

Advanced Tuner
    Unless the bpv isn't opening and the air in the pipes hits the turbo when the throttle closes there's no way the stock turbo is surging.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by shabby View Post
    Unless the bpv isn't opening and the air in the pipes hits the turbo when the throttle closes there's no way the stock turbo is surging.
    That's exactly it, the BPV isn't opening and it causes surging.

Did you adjust the bov as I suggested?

Advanced Tuner
    Well take it apart, check the spring and diaphragm, check if the hose doesn't have anything stuck in it, bypass that solenoid that's in the middle and connect the bpv directly to the intake manifold and try again.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Did you adjust the bov as I suggested?

Trying to figure that out actually. I was going to email you to ask how that would work. If it's getting stuck closed sometimes I would want to lower the ratio of the upper surge limit? Not overly familiar with this. I notice too that the upper and lower limits are pretty close to each other. Should I be modifying the lower limit as well?