Thread: Turbo 2200 1 BAR and 2 BAR MAP Sensor Problems

Turbo 2200 1 BAR and 2 BAR MAP Sensor Problems

I just got my ‘00 turbo 2200 build done and I’m starting to tune it. I’m a complete newbie to HPTuners, so please excuse my ignorance with some of the technical terms. I’m running into some problems with the 2 bar map sensor. The car is running extreamly rich. I got the LD9 supercharged reflash from a reputable source, and he edited it to run on 650cc injectors. The problem is that the map is reading way off. Key on, engine off, it reads 195kPa. At idle (870-920 RPM), it reads 106-112kPa. My knowledge is that kPa reading is off by about 1 bar, key on engine off should be around 100kPa, and at idle it should be around 30-40 kPa. Correct??? I was told to check my wiring and the harness, which hasn’t been messed with. So I reflashed the original stock tune, and installed the OEM 1 bar map sensor. With key off, black/white wire is a good ground, tan wire is 4.98V, and green wire (signal) has a slight ground. With key on, engine off black/white wire is a good ground, tan wire is 4.98V and green wire (signal) produced 4.75V which is correct, 14.7 psi (atmospheric pressure or 1 bar) My current elevation is 619ft. above sea level. I thought that the signal wire having a slight ground was weird. So I tested resistance between the sensor harness and PCM harness, got 0 ohms. Tested for polarity, got neither + or -. Tested corresponding pin on PCM and found the slight ground. I’m assuming that is normal??? I made a configuration to show MAP kPa, MAP PSI, and MAP inHg. (so I can see corresponding values, I’m new to the conversions) I’m going to log the OEM tune with the OEM sensor, key on and key off. Also going to log OEM tune with 2 bar sensor, LD9 tune with OEM sensor, and LD9 tune with 2 bar sensor. With the 1 bar, 0-5v, is 0-100 kPa, which is idle to wide open throttle (30 kPa-100 kPa) correct? With the 2 bar, 0-5v is 0-200 kPa, which is idle to +14.7 psi (30 kPa - 200kPa) correct? My newbie assumption is that the LD9 tune I got is still looking for the 1 bar, which is why its putting out the high voltage at atmosphere when the 2 bar is hooked up. At atmosphere the 1 bar should put out 5v, and the 2 bar should put out 2.5v, but it is saying 4.75. I am aware the there is 1 bar of measurement consumed by the vacuum of the vehicle, so technically only 1 bar out of 2 bar is for positive pressure.

These are my logs for atmospheric pressure:

2200 OEM Tune
    1 BAR Sensor
    4.68V 99kPa 14.4PSI 29.2inHg
    2 BAR Sensor
    4.65V 98kPa 14.2PSI 28.9inHg

LD9 Supercharged Tune
    1 BAR Sensor
    4.70V 196kPa 28.4PSI 57.9inHg
    2 BAR Sensor
    4.65V 195kPa 28.3PSI 56.6inHg

My conclusion is, I was sold a 1 BAR sensor, not a 2 BAR sensor.

Any questions, comments, or corrections would be greatly appreciated.

You have to set the map sensor up in the tune for your map sensor settings. I would send it back to the tuner and have them correct it.

Linear & Offset

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    You have to set the map sensor up in the tune for your map sensor settings. I would send it back to the tuner and have them correct it.

Linear & Offset

Is this Chuck? BTW, how is business lately?

Anyway, His OS does not have these settings to change. Its a complete "hack" that GM left us with, but we are able to use the LD9 SC Reflash (which is speed density) instead of using the Alpha N OS.... I am the one who wrote the base file for him. Its setup as just a base file to get it going. He sent me the logs, and the KPA readings are all off. I was thinking it was a wiring issue (ran into this same issue with another customer's car//very similar build) But after talking to the OP and some trials and errors, it appears that the MAP sensor he has is actually a 1 BAR, not a 2 BAR as he thought......

P&P Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    On the 2 bar map. Did you get voltage readings? With the key on and the engine off?

Also 4.75v is the standard max value for most 5v pressure transducers like our map sensors.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    On the 2 bar map. Did you get voltage readings? With the key on and the engine off?

Also 4.75v is the standard max value for most 5v pressure transducers like our map sensors.
    He did..... Called me with readings in "boost" with Key On/Engine Off.....

P&P Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Well then, that was easy.

These are the readings with the key on and engine off.

2200 OEM Tune
    1 BAR Sensor
    4.68V 99kPa 14.4PSI 29.2inHg
    2 BAR Sensor
    4.65V 98kPa 14.2PSI 28.9inHg

LD9 Supercharged Tune
    1 BAR Sensor
    4.70V 196kPa 28.4PSI 57.9inHg
    2 BAR Sensor
    4.65V 195kPa 28.3PSI 56.6inHg

I'm going to buy another "2 BAR" tonight.
    I will be sure to test this one before final installation.
    I will also post, if that solves it.

Quote Originally Posted by imphat0260 View Post
    how is business lately?
    This extremely hot weather is really bring out the work, we are booked solid! Plus with the BMW group buy that we just had, we are scrambling to keep up!

We Can Fix Your Bricked PCM Or Your YYYYYY OS ID

OK, well last night I bought two more "2BAR" sensors for a 07 Cobalt SS 2.0L SC. One from Autozone, and one from Advance Auto Parts. The "2BAR" currently in the car is from Carquest. Scanned all 3 in reference to the OEM 1BAR and they all read the same thing. So all the "2BAR" sensors are WRONG. I have a GM 3BAR sensor as well, but im not using it due to the loss of resolution on my particualar tune. I hooked that one up and it read in the desired range for a 3 BAR, so this confirmed that my wiring / harness is fine. I returned them all, and ordered a cross referenced sensor that corresponds with the GM part number 12580698. Should have this by saturday. Also, if anyone is looking for a GM 3BAR with harness, I have one for sale.

Advanced Tuner
    If either of those dont work I can almost guarantee the one you buy from ballenger motorsports will be the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    If either of those dont work I can almost guarantee the one you buy from ballenger motorsports will be the right one.
    Thanks for that, your about 12 hours too late.
    That could have saved me about $50, the one I bought was $110, theirs is $60!!!!!
    O well, right now money isnt an option, just want to get it running!

New sensor worked!!!!! Went logging all weekend!
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by phil4286 View Post
    New sensor worked!!!!! Went logging all weekend!
    Thanks guys!

P&P Tuning