Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable VATS - 2007 Cobalt Swap into Buggy

Advanced Tuner

Disable VATS - 2007 Cobalt Swap into Buggy

I have a customer who swapped a 07 Cobalt engine into a custom dune buggy. I'm not sure which Ecotec this is but wanted to know if the VATS can be disabled from the OS/General/VATS1 & 2 settings and is there anything else I need to be aware of?

He is indicating the engine starts and runs for 3 seconds then quits. I am assuming this is VATS related but won't know until the buggy gets to the shop.

Is there anything I should be aware of here? I never worked on one of these swaps. I did search and read here that there is no VATS disable for LNF's...

Thanks!
    Mike

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Can you post the file in question? 07 Cobalts used several different pcm's.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Can you post the file in question? 07 Cobalts used several different pcm's.
    Not at this time. The vehicle won't be arriving for a few hours. I was trying to be as prepared as possible.

Are there any 07 Cobalt PCM's that can NOT have the VATS disabled?

Thanks for the lightning fast response!!!!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The vats tables(and patches in the case of E37) are already there. In some cases theres an additional starter check patch we can add but I would need the file to see if its already added.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    The vats tables(and patches in the case of E37) are already there. In some cases theres an additional starter check patch we can add but I would need the file to see if its already added.
    So assuming that this requires no "starter check" patches would the procedure be:
    1. Set OS/General/VATS1 & 2 to disable
    2. Perform a "Write Entire"
    3. Start the engine and tune away?

Advanced Tuner
    The steps I listed above worked like a charm. No patches needed.

Thanks Bill for the help and fast responses!

Potential Tuner
    I?m trying to do the same thing for a 07 Saturn Ion I dont see vats under General is there something different I need to do?
    Last edited by badnewsmike; 09-18-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    can you post your current tune file
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    can you post your current tune file
    So got an answer thanks hptuners

I was viewing the file as basic not advanced all better
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by badnewsmike; 09-18-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i was going to say that was likely the issue but also i needed a file to open so i could find its location and report it.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Hey I have a 07 Cabolt that I’m needing to vats delete and I went into os and disables vats patch but still nothing what can I do to get this straightened out any help would be greatly appreciated

Senior Tuner
    What do you mean by still nothing?

Do a write entire instead of calibration

Potential Tuner
    Noticed this thread, while searching for a solution for a customer

I can?t seem to find where I can look up and verify if for example I wanted to disable the immobilizer on a 2007 Chevy cobalt.

Is there somewhere on the product support page where it will show things such as the various faecium?s in if immobilizer delete is a option?

If this is a option and I go to do it, do I do just a calibration or right? The entire drive? Also, I noticed in the vehicle I am not able to communicate with a Immobilizer system. A.k.a. the vehicle theft deterrent module, which is why I?m wanting to disable that as we?ve already ordered one coil because the other one was damaged by the owner of.

I hope I?m going about the proper way rather than creating a new thread. From reading, I?m guessing I?m going to have to get a photo of the vehicle PCM?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HP72 View Post
    Noticed this thread, while searching for a solution for a customer

I can?t seem to find where I can look up and verify if for example I wanted to disable the immobilizer on a 2007 Chevy cobalt.

Is there somewhere on the product support page where it will show things such as the various faecium?s in if immobilizer delete is a option?

If this is a option and I go to do it, do I do just a calibration or right? The entire drive? Also, I noticed in the vehicle I am not able to communicate with a Immobilizer system. A.k.a. the vehicle theft deterrent module, which is why I?m wanting to disable that as we?ve already ordered one coil because the other one was damaged by the owner of.

I hope I?m going about the proper way rather than creating a new thread. From reading, I?m guessing I?m going to have to get a photo of the vehicle PCM?
    No instructions available from HPT to do much of anything for specific ECM's. You have to dig through the forums (or youtube, classes, etc,) for most of that type info.

You can disable the VATS on the 2007 Cobalt, but I don't know all of the steps. Typically it will be write entire, with vats turned off and possibly some starter diagnostics disabled also.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    depends on the ecm type, if its E37 or E67 the vats patches are located under the os tab, there is a description in the os tab for disabling them.

If its an E69 or E77 ecm found in some cobalts our software cannot disable vats in those applications. Either way check os tab and system tab, those are the most common places for vats switches.

Senior Tuner
    As far as I know the E69 ECM was only used in the 2008-2010 Cobalt SS/Turbo/LNF (It's the one that I have). I don't know about the E77. Looking through some post on here, it looks like maybe at one time (2013 or so), HPT was mislabeling the E69 as E77.

Senior Tuner
    Or is E77 the unsupported 2005 Cobalt ECM?

Potential Tuner
    ok looks as if I need to get ecm info.

I thought HP Tuners use to have it here you could see what options were available for the certain YM&M vehicles before purchasing the credits? So is it now you pay for the credits to find out if it can or not? /I hope not as this type of modeling for sales could drive sales and tuners likewise away. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things? I hope not.

Senior Tuner
    HPT has a supported vehicles list but it doesn’t go into every option/table available for that donor. Maybe a support ticket with HPT will confirm vats option. I’m 99% sure it is available for any 2007 Cobalt since it’s used a lot on the DF Kit car and is asked about on that forum from time to time.