Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBD II Readines Monitor "trick"?

OBD II Readines Monitor "trick"?

I am due for inspection and I flashed my car not too long ago which caused my monitors to not ready. I got 4 out of 7 and have done countless drive cycles to get them ready. I don't have any CEL or anything so it's just taking a long time, I guess. This happened to me last year and it took 2 months to get them to ready! I can't pass emissions without having 6 of the 7 "ready".

I read somewhere (possibly on here but can't find it) that if you go into your DTC's and set them all to "3" (No error reported), that all your emissions readiness monitors will automatically set to "ready". I want to try it but am afraid of undoing everything I have done this past week or so....

Can anyone verify this?
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    Its how my car passed. I was and still am 100% emissions legal but I didnt feel like waiting. You just have to watch out, some places/states are getting tricky now and they pull the battery and re connect it and if you are still passing they fail you, because you obviously tampered with it.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

Okay, thank you.

I go to the same place every year and the guy likes my car. He just does everything by the book. I can't wait any longer for the monitors to ready and I'm also trying to track down a couple issues as well as get my fuel trims in line.

This will help me until next year.

Thanks again!
    Total Masshole.
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD

I just went to go do this and I don't have that option for the LNF......?
    Total Masshole.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have a cooler stat in there it'll take longer.
    Mine did just that. put the stock stat back in, drove for a little bit, through the GM drive cycle.
    Got green lights.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

No, stock stat.
    Total Masshole.

Advanced Tuner
    It should be there in the tune, not in the scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    It should be there in the tune, not in the scanner.
    I know. It's just not an option on the LNF for some reason... And "0-Disabled" doesn't work like the option I mentioned in my first post. I've had that on my rear O2 sensors and they never ready.

Total Masshole.

Sould be under the engine diag tab then go to the DTC's tab and scroll through them.
    Wouldn't # 6 do the same thing not 0 disable?
    Last edited by tazz; 07-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.

#6 is "MIL off (remove after x cycles)"

Would that work? I could try it...
    Total Masshole.

Advanced Tuner
    No idea, it takes like 2 minutes to flash a new tune, you won't break anything, might as well try it. And I'm going to assume you're from mass ours if it doesn't work, go get inspected anyways, they'll give you a sticker that says you need to fix emissions and they give you like 2 2 week extensions to make it pass.

No idea, it takes like 2 minutes to flash a new tune, you won't break anything, might as well try it. And I'm going to assume you're from mass ours if it doesn't work, go get inspected anyways, they'll give you a sticker that says you need to fix emissions and they give you like 2 2 week extensions to make it pass.
    I'll give it a shot on my lunch break. Can't hurt. Car already has an idle issue anyway that I'm tracking down.

I really don't like driving around with that "R". I did last year and got hassled so bad by local PD. I'll do what I can though.

Thank you for your help! I'll update if that works or not.
    Total Masshole.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    #12 or #13 maybe ive never had to deal with that
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Having the same issue, I've been waiting a week for the evap purge test! Just flashed back to stock wondering if that had something to do with it. I'll try and disable it. Thanks for posting!

Its how my car passed. I was and still am 100% emissions legal but I didnt feel like waiting. You just have to watch out, some places/states are getting tricky now and they pull the battery and re connect it and if you are still passing they fail you, because you obviously tampered with it.
    I wonder why they would ever think of that?

Advanced Tuner
    Lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you seen/done this?
    ---------========----------=========----------==========---------========--
    General Motors Driving Cycle
    A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

* Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
    * Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
    * Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
    * Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
    * Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
    * Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
    * Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
    * Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

I've done that drive cycle more times than I care to count. I've tried BMW's drive cycle and even a basic one I found on another forum. I have get my evap system to ready. There are no codes, no pending codes and half the damn sensors are new. It took so long last time and I feel I'm in the same position again - having to get my sticker months late.

I've got 5 out of 7 right now. I just need 1 more to pass. That evap is pissing me off. So I don't have to start all over again, could someone please please try setting all the DTC's to one they might think force all the monitors to ready?

I'm going to try another drive cycle tomorrow. I read somewhere that the car needs to sit for 17 hours before you can start over :/
    Total Masshole.

Ive never been able to get the system ready via the cycle posted above or any for that matter for me and in my area there are just too many variables that hinder safe operation of my vehicle unless Im in the middle or no-where to start the drive cycle.

Advanced Tuner
    Dont you have to like fill the gas tank or something weird to get the evap to work?