Thread: Read TCM only

Tuner in Training

Read TCM only

Is it possible to make Hp Tuners read only the TCM and then write only the TCM?

I have an 81 camaro with a LS3 and 6l80e. The kicker is the MAST motorsports harness and computer the engine runs on. Hp tuners or even a Tech 2 recognizes the software in the Mast ECM.

Im trying to reprogram the Tcm, but since everything has to connect with the ECM first, its not letting me do anything with the Trans.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fast00ss View Post
    Is it possible to make Hp Tuners read only the TCM and then write only the TCM?

I have an 81 camaro with a LS3 and 6l80e. The kicker is the MAST motorsports harness and computer the engine runs on. Hp tuners or even a Tech 2 recognizes the software in the Mast ECM.

Im trying to reprogram the Tcm, but since everything has to connect with the ECM first, its not letting me do anything with the Trans.
    It is not possible with the Mast computer. Your only bet is installing the tcm into another vehicle and flashing it there. It would be a tricky deal to pull off.
    You do know the tcm runs off of the computer right? I doubt it will run at all without a factory style harness and pcm like the GMPP.

Potential Tuner
    I am running into the same problem. is there a way to use a bench harness with an E38 attached as well as the T43/6l80 to read the t43 and then write changes to it. We have two vehicles with newer 6l80s so the other software won't work with it effectively. both vehicles use the Mast M90 for an L92.

So we purchased HP Tuners but now we seem to have a bigger problem that HP Tuners won't read from a TCM if a GM ECM isn't present.

Is there a way around this with HP Tuners?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    no, because we don't license the tcm and we ONLY license the ecm there is no way to read/write to it separately.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

you can use a TCM & ECM on the bench so long as the ECM/TCM operating systems are from a valid vehicle combination.

Running the 6L80e without the ECM would be very tough since there are many CAN bus signals between ECM and TCM that are required for normal operation of the TCM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Understood but the two buggies I am working on are running a Mast M90 ECM with a 6l80 add on harness and it does send enough/the right can bus signals to get the tcm to work. basically RPM and load information.

we realized by trial and error we were going to need a bench harness and an e38 so we built one and get HP Tuners to read the TCM information. that was working yesterday. now for some reason our bench harness is letting us ready the ECM but it can no longer read the TCM on three different 6l80s when using the "read entire" function.