Thread: Should I sell everything and start over?

Potential Tuner

Should I sell everything and start over?

I'm posting this here rather than on LS1Tech or LS1GTO because my main concern (fear) is the tuning side of things.

My original purpose for purchasing HP Tuners was to use it on my '05 GTO LS2/T56 I had planned on putting in my BMW 540i with a pair of GT35R's.

4 Years later, I have purchased other cars, a house and still have no touched the BMW, in fact the GTO, despite missing some parts I've sold, still runs and drives perfectly. I've used HPT to disable the VATS in the GTO, as well as the LS1 I swapped into my 52 Cadillac and disable a few other things.

I'm now selling my BMW and I was thinking of tossing the LS2/T56 into a 67 Chevelle or perhaps my 70 El Camino thats been sitting for years as well, but I think I may part ways with the El Camino or just stick the LT1/T56 I have sitting around in it.

Finally, I think I convinced myself to toss the LS2 into my Typhoon, however to make this work, I need to ditch the T56 and convert it to a 4L80E. Little did I know, that isn't such an each chore since the '05/'06 has a separate TCM and on the M6 cars there are even more steps involved to getting the 4L80E to work.

I hate the fact that I already wasted credits disabling things on the LS2, but I think the only sensible thing to do is just unload my complete LS2/T56 and go buy a 2001+ 2500HD and start over?

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that its going to be the best way to go and not end up with a hacked up, spliced harness abortion PCM code vehicle when all is said and done.

I do not want to run a stand alone TCM, manual valve body is out of the question too. Am I overlooking anything that would enable me to keep the current engine/PCM I have?

Thanks.
    morgan . www.tensixgarage.com
    52 cadillac coupe - TT6.0/4L80E Swapped
    93 gmc typhoon - Turbo 4.3/700R4
    07 sierra 2500hd 4x4 - LBZ/Allison
    06 sierra 3500 4x4 - LBZ/Allison
    85 volvo 745gle turbo diesel - 2.4L/M6 Swapped

Senior Tuner
    The credits are probably one of the cheaper things you will have to replace, sucks, but no big deal. If you have to sell the ls2/t56 to fund the project, so be it. From the look of your list of projects, I would keep it around, I am sure you will find it a home. Your typhoon will get you a lot of different viepoints. I would say run with 2001 up 2500 idea. I prefer dbc tb setup, the rtt is awesome, and it would simplify your install. Sure the pcm is a little slower, but the other benifits out weigh that imho. My 2 cents....

Ps, if you create post/blog on your typhoon build up, pm me the link. I would like to see.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    The credits are probably one of the cheaper things you will have to replace, sucks, but no big deal.
    thats what I figured and I'm hoping the disabled VATS might make it more interesting for a less knowledgeable buyer who is just starting out, one less thing to worry about right off the bat.

If you have to sell the ls2/t56 to fund the project, so be it. From the look of your list of projects, I would keep it around, I am sure you will find it a home.
    No doubt, I certainly could, I actually own 8 vehicles right now, but Im trying to make my collection a little smaller, as I feel Ive been spreading myself too thin. Could I find something to put it in, yes... but I could just as easily pick up another doaner car and star over and be at the same point in the wallet.

Your typhoon will get you a lot of different viepoints. I would say run with 2001 up 2500 idea. I prefer dbc tb setup, the rtt is awesome, and it would simplify your install. Sure the pcm is a little slower, but the other benifits out weigh that imho. My 2 cents....

Ps, if you create post/blog on your typhoon build up, pm me the link. I would like to see.
    I'm sure there will be mixed reviews on the project, there always is, but there have been crazier things done to nicer trucks than mine, especially back when they first came out. I know of three brand new trucks that were gutted and turned into rolling stereos by a couple shops for their competition cars back in the early 90's.... tragic...

Either way Im sure I'll post something up, but I dont expect anything to really get cooking until spring.

Thanks for your input, its nice to know Im not completely crazy yet.
    morgan . www.tensixgarage.com
    52 cadillac coupe - TT6.0/4L80E Swapped
    07 sierra 2500hd 4x4 - LBZ/Allison
    06 sierra 3500 4x4 - LBZ/Allison
    85 volvo 745gle turbo diesel - 2.4L/M6 Swapped