Thread: Need first startup help...L92 E38, LS3 Intake+MAP, 6L80E

Need first startup help...L92 E38, LS3 Intake+MAP, 6L80E

Hi everyone.
    I will be doing my first tuning with after my engine swap.
    A little background....
    I am installing a L92/6L80E from a 2007 Escalade in my 1968 Bel Air wagon.
    I have swapped on an LS3 intake and will need to tune for the LS3 MAP sensor. Otherwise everything will be basically stock for now.

I have pulled the file from the ECU.
    Disabled VATS, Changed from 2 fans to 1(still need to understand how to

But my primary issue is how to tune for the LS3 MAP sensor with the E38 computer? Can you guys help me get going? I'm trying to start it today.

Also, what is the LS3 sensor good for. Ultimate goal is a 1000whp build down the road.

Thanks!
    Brad

FYI, MAP part number is 12591290.

Okay something else has changed as well...LS3 injectors.

I found the MAP data for the LS3 Map.
    I changed both the MAP and SCIAP values to 128.13 linear and -0.31 offset.
    Should I have only changed the MAP only?

For the injectors I found some previous data from another user.

I had a no start condition. I had fuel pressure, power to coils and injectors, but no spark and no fuel smell. I also confirmed the ecu is getting ignition to turn on and stay even while cranking. My grounds also are working fine. It seems the commands to fire injector and coil are not being sent.

Only DTC's were....
    P0315 - Crank Learn Not Completed
    P0615 - Starter Relay
    P0633 - Immobilizer Key Not Programmed

I turned the immobi key and starter codes off....but now I turned them back on for diagnostics purposes. All others were EVAP.

I then, after some searching, saw that the starter diag needed to be disabled. I disabled the clutch interlock as well(not sure why that would have been enabled on an Escalade program).

Once the neighbors get off to church, I will try to fire her again.

Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by c.u View Post
    may have to get with bill on this. thay can set you up with a starter chek patch for the e38 and motor swap.
    Okay, with all of the changes...injectors, starter diag disabled, still no start.
    I also don't see oil pressure but it seems to be backed up at my filter so I assume its just low.

My cranking rpm is only about 120-150rpm.

I confirmed the coils have both power and ground, but i did not see spark when holding the plug on the header.

I am going to get a spark tester and noid light to help me further diagnose.

It seems to me the coils and injector just aren't firing...i.e. no command from the ecu.
    What would cause this?

Only DTC are still crank position not learned and immobi key. Could the immobi key be the issue?

Thanks,
    Brad.

Tried to crank this morning...still nothing.

I also found in the scanner IAT, ECT, and MAP are not working. Map was previously working after the tune for the LS3 map.
    The ECU at least is trying to send a signal to the injectors(duty cycle and pulsewidth look ok)...it may just not be getting there.

Based on that info, I think maybe my grounds needed work. Maybe the "lo ref" is not connected to a ground. So I cleaned every ground from the ecu, block/heads, body, and frame.

I am using the scanner to help diagnose this.
    I set up to scan crank decode mode...thinking it would give me an indication of what my crank signal was doing. It said "24X angle". Shouldn't mine be 58X? Am I reading this wrong?

Reset ECU couplers and still nothing.

So I found the answer to all of the above...I had added a few channels to the scanner and saved a config file. When I went back to the default imperial config file, IAt, ECT, and MAP all worked. ??????

Car still will not start.
    I checked injectors with a noid light and saw nothing.
    Last edited by Wicked; 08-07-2011 at 04:01 PM.

try this engine diag-DTC`s set po633-2 no mil then go to p1629-30-32 set thes to 3 no error set p1631 to 2 no mil. unchek the ses box on all. you need to log your cam sensor counts as well. look over you crank and cam sensor wireing as well. do a write entire after thes changes.
    Last edited by c.u; 08-08-2011 at 06:01 AM.

c.u.
    I will give it a try.
    I also can't remember if I did a write entire after I killed the vATS. But from what I've read, VATS is a fuel pump control only? Fuel pump is working fine.
    Thanks.

SHE LIVES!!!

Running pretty good so far.
    I don't have the belt on yet(gotta adapt power steering pump) so I can't run her for long. But she is running. I think the write entire fixed it.
    Thanks for your help C.U.

When she started up, I was still seeing no oil pressure. It would barely blip 1psi. I messed with the connector a little and restarted couple of times to see if it would start working. I started seeing oil pressure but not nearly what I would expect. 10psi at 2000rpm or so. When I look at the log the oil pressure sensor data is a little notchy so I'm wondering if its the relief valve sticking or the sensor is going out. Need to do a little research before I run her much further.
    I did replace the oil pan with the musclecar(LH8) pan to clear my frame and used the supplied pickup. I lubed the oring and was super careful that it went on right. I hope I don't have to go back in there.

good to hear. well just put the mechanical gauge to it that will tell the tail.

Swapped pressure sensor. 50psi at cool idle.

Advanced Tuner
    What did you do to fix this? I have a E67 T42, no start seems vats isnt quite turned off, P0615 code, no spark or injector control, wont crank either, but I think thats because I dont have neutral park signal 1786 hooked up to the right spot, on the 4L80E, it should be normally open, and grounded in drive 123, reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    What did you do to fix this? I have a E67 T42, no start seems vats isnt quite turned off, P0615 code, no spark or injector control, wont crank either, but I think thats because I dont have neutral park signal 1786 hooked up to the right spot, on the 4L80E, it should be normally open, and grounded in drive 123, reverse?
    Hey man,
    I think I wasn't properly getting VATS removed by not doing a "write entire". But I also tried what C.U. suggested in post #6. Good luck.
    1968 Bel Air Wagon
    L92/6L80E