Thread: Service Traction Control System

Tuner in Training

Service Traction Control System

Post Cartuning turbo If I am under boost for more than a couple of seconds the Service Traction System light comes on. It goes off pretty quick but the Trac Off light comes on and stay's on until the ignition is turned off and the car is restarted.

I was told that is because the tranny freaks out over the extra torque. In searching through codes I found the following section.

P0856 Traction Control Input Signal
    P0857 Traction Control Input Signal Range/Performance
    P0858 Traction Control Input Signal Low
    P0859 Traction Control Input Signal High

However, I have a DHP tuner and can't get to this section with that unit.

Does HPTuners have access to that section?
    Has anybody run into and corrected this issue?

TIA for information you may provide.

take care
    2003 MonteCarlo SS, Galaxy Silver, Charcoal Leather, Under Pressure.
    I love the sound of a Turbo in the morning.

Please, Please, Please, Please,
    Never let my car sound like one of those damn flatulent Honduhs!

I have patience sort of like Dr. Kevorkain's... It ain't around very long.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlj4214 View Post

However, I have a DHP tuner and can't get to this section with that unit.

Does HPTuners have access to that section?
    Yes we have access to DTC's. (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) You may have to search the forum for previous posts regarding this traction issue. There may even be torque tables/management settings available with HPT that you could adjust for a solution which wouldn't require playing with DTC's.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 08-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    Yes we have access to DTC's. (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) You may have to search the forum for previous posts regarding this traction issue. There may even be tables/management settings you could adjust for a solution that won't require playing with DTC's.
    I have access to DTC's also. Just not the tables for the ones listed unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

I did a search and found questions but no answers.

Hopefully somebody at HPTuners will say something.

Thanks for your reply.

Senior Tuner
    Have the resistance of your hubs checked to rule it out. If you are exceeding your max torque table, could be TQ management causing this. I have to say as well, I dont like the MSD stuff on the GM platform. May I suggest GM coils and stock wires. GM makes some of the best dam coils anywhere and your car came from the factory with them!
    HP Tuners has come a long way with the V-6 platform and the investment is well worth it I must say.... wink, wink Being able to post logs and tunes that the guys here can help with would go a long way in getting you set up right, just sayin.... lol
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Have the resistance of your hubs checked to rule it out. If you are exceeding your max torque table, could be TQ management causing this. I have to say as well, I dont like the MSD stuff on the GM platform. May I suggest GM coils and stock wires. GM makes some of the best dam coils anywhere and your car came from the factory with them!
    HP Tuners has come a long way with the V-6 platform and the investment is well worth it I must say.... wink, wink Being able to post logs and tunes that the guys here can help with would go a long way in getting you set up right, just sayin.... lol
    OK, Thanks

I will not argue the MSD issue at this point as that is not where the problem is. Certainly it is your prerogative and you may feel free to suggest what ever you wish. The torque management area is what I have been looking to find an answer for all along. I have not been able to find tables in DHP to adequately address this situation and solve what I perceive the problem to be. I am not alone in this area, search other forums for concerns related to this subject an you will not have trouble finding them.

I will check the hub resistance to confirm your suspicions. Thank you for the suggestion. My questioning of this logically is why would it only trip the error when it is under boost for at least a few seconds? That may make sense, but, I do not get the connection at this time. Feel free to elaborate further on the subject, I'm all ears.

I will most likely be purchasing from HP Tuners soon. We will see how it all turns out. The only other serious consideration I have at this point is Tuner Cat and Moats. I guess we will see. Who knows, I may end up with both.

With the last arrogant, brazen reply I received from EFI live written by Cindy I will likely be looking at other options for my diesel also. Telling a customer one thing, waiting 4 years for them to fulfill and getting a denial later is a bit much for me. I really dislike being mislead by a vendor.

Oh yeah, and maybe a dual chip PCM mod from PCMCalibrators. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thank you very much for you input.

Take Care
    Last edited by rlj4214; 08-10-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo

Tuner in Training
    OOPS!

As a slight correction to the above statements I do have access to the following tables.

Torque reduction for shifts
    Max turbine torque locked and unlocked
    Brake torque limits

I have also modified them to a MUCH more tolerant level to no avail.

Sorry for neglecting that. The car has been running good so I haven't been in the tuner for a while and forgot.

Didn't mean to mislead.

Take care
    Last edited by rlj4214; 08-11-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: I seem to have trouble typing what I'm thinking sometimes. :-)

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlj4214 View Post

As a slight correction to the above statements I do have access to the following tables.

Torque reduction for shifts
    Max turbine torque locked and unlocked
    Brake torque limits
    O.K. This might help. I've got an older V6 (2001) and have access to alot more tables than that. Although I haven't seen an HPT file for your car I feel comfortable going out on a limb and saying it most likely does as well. The tables I have access to which are relevant to this topic include:

-Max Torque Timing (They warn you not to mess with this one)
    -Max Allowable MPH for each gear Timing Limiter
    -Max Torque Output allowed at RPM values in each gear
    -Max Torque allowed in each gear
    -Max Torque allowed at various RMP values
    -How much spark reduces how much torque
    -Max torque allowed by the Traction Control Freak System
    -Commanded Air Fuel Ratio and Commanded Spark if TCFS kicks in
    -How (or if at all) injectors disable during TCS
    -Speed tables and RPM tables Commanded AFR and Commanded Spark tables, and injector disable tables for declaring both Gear Abuse & Differential Abuse
    -Seperate tables under Transmission for declaring/activating/recognizing and effect of Abuse Mode and Torque reduction

With HPT I can set the Max Torque Output to 640 so I think you wouldn't need to worry about exceeding those figures!

P.S. there is a gentlemen on this forum codenamed "Frost" who I believe sells a dual PCM with a switch setup. You could use HPT to individually licence each one and have your own personally customized tunes on them. And please feel free to post in a little more depth, your (sadly negative) experience with other tuning companies or products in the lounge, as it may help others make decisions as well. Or at least make me that much happier that I went with HPT anyway!
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 08-11-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you very much for your reply. At this time I have every intention of getting a HPT.

In looking last night I found a bit more than I recalled being available. I will test and reply as soon as I can.

Take Care

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    O.K. This might help. I've got an older V6 (2001) and have access to alot more tables than that. Although I haven't seen an HPT file for your car I feel comfortable going out on a limb and saying it most likely does as well. The tables I have access to which are relevant to this topic include:

-Max Torque Timing (They warn you not to mess with this one)
    -Max Allowable MPH for each gear Timing Limiter
    -Max Torque Output allowed at RPM values in each gear
    -Max Torque allowed in each gear
    -Max Torque allowed at various RMP values
    -How much spark reduces how much torque
    -Max torque allowed by the Traction Control Freak System
    -Commanded Air Fuel Ratio and Commanded Spark if TCFS kicks in
    -How (or if at all) injectors disable during TCS
    -Speed tables and RPM tables Commanded AFR and Commanded Spark tables, and injector disable tables for declaring both Gear Abuse & Differential Abuse
    -Seperate tables under Transmission for declaring/activating/recognizing and effect of Abuse Mode and Torque reduction

With HPT I can set the Max Torque Output to 640 so I think you wouldn't need to worry about exceeding those figures!

P.S. there is a gentlemen on this forum codenamed "Frost" who I believe sells a dual PCM with a switch setup. You could use HPT to individually licence each one and have your own personally customized tunes on them. And please feel free to post in a little more depth, your (sadly negative) experience with other tuning companies or products in the lounge, as it may help others make decisions as well. Or at least make me that much happier that I went with HPT anyway!

Senior Tuner
    Can you scan for Delivred Trans Torque with DHP and compare it to your MAX TQ table?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Can you scan for Delivred Trans Torque with DHP and compare it to your MAX TQ table?
    I will look as soon as I can

Working on fixing a pressure hose, thought I replaced the right one but obviously I was incorrect. Needed replacing anyway it was a little melted from the turbine housing.

I will let you know

Thank you very much for your input

Tuner in Training
    I have an 02 Monte ss L36/67 and was having a similar prob. When in second under boost at the top of the gear service trac system would come on in the message center and trac off light came on. had tech II scan and came up like tourque input out of valid range or something. Also i was having some wheel spin issues where it was pulling timing when I tried burnouts. I used hpt and eliminated most of the tourque management. Never saw the message again.

Tuner in Training
    I'm still after this and finally got the HP Tuner.
    The code that showed up in an EFI Live DTC scan was
    ABS C1276 Delivered Torque Signal Circuit
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...1276-code.html
    Car has been sitting for quite a while so I'm back after it.
    c-ya

Tuner in Training
    pretty sure nobody cares but...
    it appears that DHP let me set the torque limits and triggered the error at the lowest settings
    by taking it to the factory limits i have pretty much eliminated it I THINK
    i'll know in the next few days