Thread: Stock to mildly modded Zr1 tunes?

Stock to mildly modded Zr1 tunes?

Hey guys,

My dad just picked up a new Zr1 about four weeks ago and has been bugging me to tune it for him for a few days now, so I finally agreed and told him I would after much argument. It's a brand new totally stock car, and it is runs surprisingly good, but it's just slow to start making power when you lay the hammer down..... Much like a two stroke. I'm sure it's just the PE Delay and Enrichment Rate as usual, but under WOT it smells rich. It may just be me though.

I'm too damn lazy to drag out the Wideband and weld in bungs for it just for this to determine AFR (Lambda actually), so I was wondering if any of you have tuned a stock or mildly modded Zr1 before and would mind posting up what you changed to make more power. (I.E. Timing, Fueling, Transients, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
    -Robbie
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

If you are too lazy to put a wideband dont bother dealing with a $22k engine!

Leave it stock cal!

Quote Originally Posted by yellz06 View Post
    If you are too lazy to put a wideband dont bother dealing with a $22k engine!

Leave it stock cal!
    Yep. Since when did you need to add a bung? Pull a front O2.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Dad doesn't care about the warranty?

HPtuners needs a flashcount resetter.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Dad doesn't care about the warranty?

Agreed

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post

YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Yep. Since when did you need to add a bung? Pull a front O2.
    Where did I say to add a bung?

Quote Originally Posted by yellz06 View Post
    Where did I say to add a bung?
    The OP did.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Jeez guys.

I was simply hoping for a little advice.

If you want to fry me for it fine, but I haven't seen anyone support anything concerning the Zr1 yet so I figured a few of you might want to help me out.

Apparently he doesn't care about the power train warranty, which is the point that I argued.

Maybe the way it drives is something he doesn't like, I dunno.
    ):~
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Jeez guys.

I was simply hoping for a little advice.

If you want to fry me for it fine, but I haven't seen anyone support anything concerning the Zr1 yet so I figured a few of you might want to help me out.

Apparently he doesn't care about the power train warranty, which is the point that I argued.

Maybe the way it drives is something he doesn't like, I dunno.
    ):~
    Yeah I was a little disappointed at the responses you got too. I'd help you if I could but I've never tuned a ZR1. I know what you were looking for, just a few pointers on what tables to concentrate on or some links to info about what to do with the ZR1 tune. If all you want to do is tweak the throttle mapping or TM you don't need to put a wideband in it like guys are slamming you about not wanting to do. My buddy has a 2011 Z06 and he wasn't happy with the throttle response either. I looked at his calibrations and there's a ton of throttle mapping and TM, not to mention lots of other tables you could tweak to get it better. I never messed with his though since he IS worried about warranty issues.

And I didn't see anything in your first post that said you wanted to discuss the moral, ethical, financial or environmental issues surrounding whether or not your dad SHOULD have you tune his new car. Or what HPT should be adding to it's software either. ???

Geez people, just give him some pointers on tuning his dad's ZR1, that's all he asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
    Yeah I was a little disappointed at the responses you got too. I'd help you if I could but I've never tuned a ZR1. I know what you were looking for, just a few pointers on what tables to concentrate on or some links to info about what to do with the ZR1 tune. If all you want to do is tweak the throttle mapping or TM you don't need to put a wideband in it like guys are slamming you about not wanting to do. My buddy has a 2011 Z06 and he wasn't happy with the throttle response either. I looked at his calibrations and there's a ton of throttle mapping and TM, not to mention lots of other tables you could tweak to get it better. I never messed with his though since he IS worried about warranty issues.

And I didn't see anything in your first post that said you wanted to discuss the moral, ethical, financial or environmental issues surrounding whether or not your dad SHOULD have you tune his new car. Or what HPT should be adding to it's software either. ???

Geez people, just give him some pointers on tuning his dad's ZR1, that's all he asked for.
    Ha thanks man. I feel a little better now.

I'm motivated to go ahead and hook up the WB and post up the tune I finalize so everyone will have it to look at for future Zr1 owners. I just figured that some would be a bit more accommodating. :O

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Potential Tuner
    Tuning is pretty straight forward like most, but the last one we did the suspension switch stopped working on, were still trying to resolve that at this point.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is my experience with a stock ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwqRab97So

Pig rich from Factory ! Easy HP gain. Lean it to 11.4 AFR.
    The stock octanes tables are optimized, even with 93 octane, I haven't won more than 3 hp/4 ft lbs playing with the timing.

Next step : Pulley !
    Last edited by Brice; 09-12-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Old_Car View Post
    Tuning is pretty straight forward like most, but the last one we did the suspension switch stopped working on, were still trying to resolve that at this point.
    Did a write cal only on this Zr1 and got a suspension inoperative code. Three consecutive on/off cycles of the switch cured it. Try it?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Here is my experience with a stock ZR1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwqRab97So

Pig rich from Factory ! Easy HP gain. Lean it to 11.4 AFR.
    The stock octanes tables are optimized, even with 93 octane, I haven't won more than 3 hp/4 ft lbs playing with the timing.

Next step : Pulley !
    That's fantastic! 21whp with a slight tweak to the tune is incredible. Did you guys do anything to the timing? And would you've picked up more with a little leaner AFR? these things are only pushing like what 8 or 9 psi?

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    That's fantastic! 21whp with a slight tweak to the tune is incredible. Did you guys do anything to the timing? And would you've picked up more with a little leaner AFR? these things are only pushing like what 8 or 9 psi?
    just leaner AFR : 11.4. I've tried 11.8, same results approximatively.

On a Z06, I'm only gaining 12 rwhp with AFR and timing. I've set set rev limiter to 6800, set back to 6700 for the customer.
    lose -10 rwhp with hypertech tune ... lol
    I was were happy to win 20 hp from a stock ZR1. Very easy.

Btw, If you look carefully on the dyno sheet ... (superflow dyno, very reputable shop, used for french magazines), the data are flywheel hp (15.8% loss found by the dyno). Stock the ZR1 were only 581 hp, 610 after the tune (513 rwhp). The shop has dynoed another ZR1 with the same results.
    very surprising. Nevermind, a dyno is just a tuning tool ...
    Last edited by Brice; 09-13-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    just leaner AFR : 11.4. I've tried 11.8, same results approximatively.

On a Z06, I'm only gaining 12 rwhp with AFR and timing. I've set set rev limiter to 6800, set back to 6700 for the customer.
    lose -10 rwhp with hypertech tune ... lol
    I was were happy to win 20 hp from a stock ZR1. Very easy.

Btw, If you look carefully on the dyno sheet ... (superflow dyno, very reputable shop, used for french magazines), the data are flywheel hp (15.8% loss found by the dyno). Stock the ZR1 were only 581 hp, 610 after the tune (513 rwhp). The shop has dynoed another ZR1 with the same results.
    very surprising. Nevermind, a dyno is just a tuning tool ...
    Still a large improvement over stock. I set the PE Tanle across the board to 1.300 and it picked up quite a bit via the asscelerometer. I'll do a few experiments with timing as well. Thanks for the advice and conversation.

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Should be straight forward. I would just start with the "basics" (MAF, Fuel, Timing) and go from there.

21rwhp+ is too shabby on a stock car. However, adding an intake, headers and just an upper yields decent increases.