Thread: Fan setting question...

Fan setting question...

When I set my dual e-fans using HP Tuners in the PCM...what is the best temp settings for each fan?

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/160%20Thermostat.swf
    As the name suggests, this is if you have installed a 160 stat. Highly recommend doing this for extra protection/performance if you're tuning a vehicle. If you do this also set your idle to stabilize earlier (140 degrees for example) so it's not still bouncing around while the coolant temp changes/settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/160%20Thermostat.swf
    As the name suggests, this is if you have installed a 160 stat. Highly recommend doing this for extra protection/performance if you're tuning a vehicle. If you do this also set your idle to stabilize earlier (140 degrees for example) so it's not still bouncing around while the coolant temp changes/settles.

I wasn't really interested in installing anything other than a 195 degree (fail-safe) t-stat which is what my truck came from the factory with because the engine is designed to get up to a certain operating temperature.

I understand that if I put in a 160 degree t-stat the engine would be colder and the computer would advance the timing slightly since it thinks the engine is still warming up...but I can advance the timing slightly using HP Tuners, can't I?

On my other truck I did do this and when winter came...my heater barely even got warm so I had to put the OE 195 degree t-stat back in so the engine would function normally (I know, I could have put cardboard in front of the radiator to block airflow making the engine run warmer)

Anywho, I was just wondering what the best temp settings would be to make my e-fans come on at when I get them installed which will be soon once I figure out some of these settings...

Last edited by Rockrz; 09-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
    I understand that if I put in a 160 degree t-stat the engine would be colder and the computer would advance the timing slightly since it thinks the engine is still warming up...

Anywho, I was just wondering what the best temp settings would be to make my e-fans come on at when I get them installed which will be soon once I figure out some of these settings....
    Hate to split hairs an all, but not exactly. The baseline timing and overall profile will not change/advance just from the 160 stat swap. It would (stat swap) however generally keep you farther away from conditions in which your computer is set up to subtract timing from the baseline. There are tables refering to startup/cold startup that affect fuel & timing, but most of them have a time component not strictly temp based like before. I've done the 160 stat swap & fan tune and it got pretty cold last winter. I had no problems at all with warmup or my defroster. Lots of guys with older trucks tell me about the cardboard blocker thing. They also tell there was a time before The Simpsons??? I can't imagine either. I think nowdays with fuel injection and HPT if you set up the tables close enough warmup shouldn't be a problem, but if you insist on the stock stat just keep the factory fan settings.
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 09-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.

I'm new to all this so I gotta big learning curve to work out...

Black Bear tuning is coming to my area so I may have them "professionally tune" my truck to start with, and as I learn more I can tweak it from there.

So, what are the common things done on a tune to get better performance?

I figured it would be advancing the timing (until it knocks under acceleration, and then back it down slightly), and maybe increase the auto tranny pressure for slightly quicker shifts.

What else do they do beyond that?

Removing Torque Management seems to be a big one around here as well as disabling all types of limiters and abuse modes. If you read around the forum a bit, you might pick up a few more tricks here an there.

That's a cool flash presentation...do they have one of these for disabling Torque Management? What about one for tweaking the transmission shifting and advancing the timing?

Nah. I guess they figure tranny tables are self explanitory enough. As for Torque Management & Timing, there are too many different looking tables that function differently throughout the various vehicles, OS's, and years. There would be like 15 or 30 demos just to cover all the timing tables. I had to learn by looking at what others had done in their tunes or had posted up as food for thought.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10615
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5573
    This should help a little.