Thread: New VCM

Potential Tuner

New VCM

I am installing an LS1 engine into an aircraft, I have no use for any of the trans functions, plus a lot of other stuff. Will the HP tuners let me remove the trans functions from the VCM? Also, I have a new VCM, I understand it must be flashed at the GM dealer the first time, the thing isn't tied to any car so it doesen't have a serial number, would I have to add my own number? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner

Re: New VCM

I can answer with my experience on VCM of L67's.

The engine code will run without any information from the transmission. No VSS, no temps, no shifts are nesscessary. I install 3800SC engines to manual transmissions and the VCM is fine with no trans inputs.

The new VCM is blank of code when new except for the loading software needed to communicate with things like the Tech 2. If you had the PRO version of HPT I think it will in fact write a new VCM with a complete file that matches the bootloader in the new VCM.

If you want to send me the VCM I can load it with whatever you want. I have done 2 VCM's for camaro guys here on the forum already, and many L67 VCM's.

Loyde

Potential Tuner

Actually, that sounds like a good idea. The engine is stock EXCEPT for being turbo normalised. To the non aviation minded, it will never get any boost, just altitude compensation. In reality, it will have SOME boost, because the intake duct before the MAF on a car probably has some low pressure, while this engine will be at sea level pressure in the same place, so it might have 1 psi maybe. Other than that, it has equal length headers with a low backpressure system, no fuel vapour canister or AC, and only the front O2's. I'm using a Painless harness with it. Let me know how much you might need to do this, and can you in fact load a blank VCM? Thanks!

Potential Tuner

Oh, BTW, you can view the aircraft project at http://members.iquest.net/~aca/

Advanced Tuner

I can assure you, I can load a VCM that is sold by GM.

I have SPS and Tech2 with updates to May 2004.

I suggest a LS1 Camaro with a manual transmission load.

Email me direct for address.

[email protected]