Thread: LLY Tuning

LLY Tuning

So I am new to diesel tuning and have some questions. I have a couple of tunes that I have been comparing to but I do not know the relationship to how much you should change each table. For example, in the tunes I have to compare they have changed the base fuel, injector PW, and injector timing. As well as the desired boost and boost control.

Where do I start and what should be monitored when changing these tables? I do not have any extra gauges in the truck and know I will probably need some.

I searched for a write up of some sort but came up empty handed. Any help would be appreciated.
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    Here is links to the guides in the diesel area. If you are not going to install a pyro dont go past 20 % anything. Also look at what the truck is used for, dont get carried away if it hauls heavy loads.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33487

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34453

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    Here is links to the guides in the diesel area. If you are not going to install a pyro dont go past 20 % anything. Also look at what the truck is used for, dont get carried away if it hauls heavy loads.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34453
    Thanks. I will read over these and see how far I can get!
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

This link takes you to LMM DPF support thread. It has a good write up but a lot of the things you say to change or the cells you say to change are not listed in the LLY tune. Is there a write up like this for the LLY?
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    It was written for lmm/lbz, but info pretty much goes accross to the lly. You just ignore the dpf part.

It was written for lmm/lbz, but info pretty much goes accross to the lly. You just ignore the dpf part.
    Maybe I am missing something but for instance when I get to:

Injector Pulse Width
    Goto Engine, Fuel, Diesel.
    Find cell 40 x 11603.
    Highlight and increase all higher values by 20% (x 1.2).
    Decrease highlighted range 1 column and 1 row.
    Smooth selection 2 times.
    Verify no reversion.

I don't have a 11603 cell....

Am I missing something?
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    Scales, metric vs imperial. 80 mpa is 11603 psi

Scales, metric vs imperial. 80 mpa is 11603 psi
    I changed the settings because I had seen mention of it being in metric but the values in the table do not change. Do I have to just figure it out manually?
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    Yes. I have been meaning to ask support why the lb7 and lly do not convert when you switch from imperial/metric but keep forgeting. It is only for the injector pulsewidth table.

Yes. I have been meaning to ask support why the lb7 and lly do not convert when you switch from imperial/metric but keep forgeting. It is only for the injector pulsewidth table.
    Ok so I was able to make it through and do everything below the DPF stuff. I noticed that I was not instructed to change the base fuel.....is there a reason for this or did I miss something? I ask because all of the tunes I have compared have changed the base fuel.
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    Leave base fuel stock for now, you can play with it later if you desire more power and understand things a little more. People mess with it and it costs them economy.

Leave base fuel stock for now, you can play with it later if you desire more power and understand things a little more. People mess with it and it costs them economy.
    Ok sounds good. For right no I am looking for economy and towing because I am getting ready to go from Indiana to Colorado next month with a 30' travel trailer. Sounds like the tune I built will be good for that. I can mess with the power later. How do you know what parts of the chart you should change so that it gives you more power when you get into it but stays mostly stock for cruising? Is this something I would log to find out what my driving style is like?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to wrap my head around it
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    table decreases with rpm, you find the highest row and increase it from there, except the driveability area. But you need to understand the relationship between all the fuel tables, as you can end up adding more fuel then you planned on.

Hey mecanicman, would you mind looking over this file to see if I missed anything?
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    You did the IPW mod incorrectly, used the the wrong column/row. Switch the row column numbers and reapply from stock numbers. Will require recalculation of timing table. Looks fine besides that.

You did the IPW mod incorrectly, used the the wrong column/row. Switch the row column numbers and reapply from stock numbers. Will require recalculation of timing table. Looks fine besides that.
    Ok got it! I think I used the right row but manually smoothed it out is why there were changes to the other rows. All better now. Thanks!
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

Senior Tuner
    no, you used the row value for the column and vice versa.

no, you used the row value for the column and vice versa.
    O shit! Got it! All fixed now!
    '00 TA
    '05 Duramax

This link is gone. Has it been moved, revised etc.?
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE