Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMM Tune...coming from Quadzilla, help requested

Tuner in Training

LMM Tune...coming from Quadzilla, help requested

Recently bought HP tuners and am looking at doing my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 duramax. I've been running a 50hp no DPF tune from a Quadzilla handheld since it was almost new.

I copied all the quadzilla tunes to study and found there are NO changes to the transmission tables at all, which I had forgotten, or never knew...not sure which. :-)

Anyway, to the point. Although I've always been happy with the Quadzilla tunes, even with a transgo jr installed since new, I've had some shuddering and slipping occasionally under power or when towing, especially the 2-3 and 3-4. I want to fix that, and possibly improve (likely) on the quadzilla canned tune.

Attached is the file I've been using for 2 years, the 50hp Quad tune. Can I get some help with tweaking this, and adding changes to the tranny table to make it better?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Senior Tuner
    We do not have access to the tables to control pressure in the allison. The tables we do have access to should not be adjusted as they are going to be even harder on the trans. If you are already expieriancing slip it sounds like your tune is already to big. You need to A)buy an upgraded trans to handle the load/power or B)dial back the tune you have.

Tuner in Training
    Oooh...now that would have certainly made a difference in my choice to buy HPT, I should have read a bit more I guess. My trans does this even with the "economy" tune in it, God forbid I loaded the 90. :-) I assumed changing the shift time or something else would solve, or help to minimize this.

Regardless of the trans, as I may have a new one coming in the near future it sounds like anyway, I'd like to iron out the rest of the tune too.

Joe

Senior Tuner
    I am not sure any other tuner has the tables either. Here are a couple of links for modifying your tune. Start with the stock, not modified tune and I urge cation if your trans is already complaining.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33487

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34453

Tuner in Training
    That's actually one of the issues. Somewhere along the way my Quadzilla ate my stock tune...now my stock tune according to it is the "economy" tune. I didn't know that until I "returned truck to stock" and then copied that file also...LOL, same exactly as the economy.

I did download a stock file from someone elses truck from the repository, but I have no way of knowing if that represents my stock file. Do you think the file I posted is good/bad, done poorly or ?

Thanks!

Joe

Senior Tuner
    Run through what I posted, you will see the differances.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I had bookmarked those before I started, and they look really helpful, I'm sure there are differences, but if the experts like you thought the quad tune was acceptable I wasn't going to mess with it.

Has there been talk of giving us access to the tables in the transmision we need in a future software release?

Thanks,

Joe

Tuner in Training
    Also, while we're on the topic of your linked posts, does the 50/50 mean 50hp/50tq, or ?

Joe

Senior Tuner
    Acceptable is up to you, you can do better then what you have. 50/50 refers to splitting the injection pulse in half around piston tdc.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. Thanks for the help. As it turns out I'm having a licensing problem getting access to that duramax file, so depending on how that comes out, I may not be able to use the software after all. :-(

Joe

Tuner in Training
    In the meantime while I wait for support to fix the licensing issue, I've been reading the how-to and have made it to the injector timing tables and the xls file. I'm slightly confused by the "record upper left #" and "Change each entire table by the difference value recorded above."

I'm sure it's simple, but I want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before I do it. Can I get a little help with that?

Thanks,

Joe

Senior Tuner
    Just follow my how to post, pretty tough to go wrong.

Tuner in Training
    I'm having trouble finding the LMM tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet actually.... Using excel 2010.

Joe

Senior Tuner
    Never used 2010, not sure on the navagation.

Tuner in Training
    I guess it might be a compatibility issue. Did you use 2007 to make the file?

Joe

Senior Tuner
    yes

Tuner in Training
    Turns out I had an old version of your table. Oops.

Joe

Tuner in Training
    But, even with the LMM tab open, the values in my table go to diff. rpms than your table...yours goes 0-4000, mine goes 200-4800?

Joe

Tuner in Training
    And the increments are off, too, for whatever reason. Is there maybe another newer vesion of the xls file?

Joe

Senior Tuner
    The link in the top of the how to is the newest. Not sure what your looking at, lmm table in mine goes to 4800. The lower increments are slightly different, but all they are is labels. The number of rows is the same, the calculations will com out fine.