Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEN IV E38 Tach Settings for aftermarket tach (autometer)

Potential Tuner

GEN IV E38 Tach Settings for aftermarket tach (autometer)

Correct HPTuners tach settings for E38 ecm with 58x crank sensor.
    Tach Output = Crank
    Resolution - High =14
    Resolution - Low =15

This will make the ECM output the correct frequency for a 2 pulse per revolution tach. The Duty cycle of the frequency will be 48.3%. 14/29

Tach output is on Pin 48 of the black connector.
    You need to add a resistor (about 1k ohm) between the tach output and 12V to Pull-Up the Output signal to a usable voltage for aftermarket tachs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is how I came up with these numbers, for the people who care…
    I have done testing to verify everything. This is what I have found to be true. I may have made errors but I do not think that I did.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tachometer I am using an Autometer Phantom II Part #7588.
    You can configure the tach for
    8 cyl mode (4 pulses per revolution)
    6 cyl mode (3 pulses per revolution)
    4 cyl mode (2 pulses per revolution)
    4 cyl mode (1 pulses per revolution)

A 4 stroke 8 cylinder engine only fires 4 cylinders per engine revolution, 4 are on compression/firing stroke and 4 are on exhaust stroke. This is why tachs typically look for a 4 pulses per revolution.
    HP Tuners Settings

The tach output is OFF in the factory calibration.
    The two options for tach output are frequency and crank. I do not know what frequency is, I tried it, it did not work for me, I got “crank” to work and I understand “crank” so I do not care about frequency.
    The other variables are
    Resolution - High = (number of periods the output stays high) I will call this HIRES
    Resolution - Low = (number of periods the output stay low) I will call this LORES
    These values need to be whole numbers.... The ECM can not handle decimal places.

Through some investigation I have found out that when "crank" is selected the ecm is going to output a pulse (or frequency, a pulse is a frequency) based on the 58x crank sensor. The minimum vales in HIRES/LORES are 1/1. This means for every 2 crank pulses you will get 1 tach output pulse from the ECM. The highest resoulution tach output signal is 29 pulses per revolution. 58/2

To verify this I entered 1/1 in the HIRES/LORES fields and hooked up my trusty Fluke to the tach signal at idle
    670 rpm = 11.17 revolutions per second
    11 revs per second * 29 pulses per rev = 324 pulses per second = 324 HZ
    I verified 324 HZ with my fluke at 670 rpm.

I have heard that the numbers in the HIRES and LORES needed to be equal and I have also heard that they needed to be dividable by 60. I do not think either of those statements are true.

An Autometer tach works off of frequency. Frequency can be measured as the time between the leading edges of 2 pulses. The tach does not really care what the duty cycle is as long as it is within an acceptable range.

I set my tach in 4 cylinder mode.
    I set 15/15 in HIRES/LORES
    At 3000 rpm I read 97 hz with a 50% duty cycle.

I set my tach in 4 cylinder mode.
    I set 10/20 in HIRES/LORES
    At 3000 rpm I read 97 hz with a 33% duty cycle.

The tach still read correctly even though the duty cycle was very different. The frequency remained the same.

Ok so now I have verified duty cycle can be changed and that crank is based on the 58 tooth crank sensor.

The highest number of pulses my tach allows for 8 cylinder mode is 4 pulses per revolution. The higher the pulses per rev the faster the tach will respond. Higher = better.

58/4 pulses per rev =14.5 total crank pulses for each ECM tach output pulse.
    14.5 = 7.25 and 7.25 in HIRES/LORES
    These are not acceptable numbers. Must be a whole number CRAP……

If you use 7/7 your tach will be reading 3.4% too high.
    It will read 2900 when your actual engine speed is 2800.

If you use 7/8 your tach will be reading 3.4% too low.
    It will read 2900 when your actual engine speed is 3000.

I switched my tach to 4 cylinder mode. The tach is now looking for 2 pulses per engine revolution. 58/2 pulses per rev = 29 total crank pulses for each ECM tach output pulse.
    29 = 14 and 15 in HIRES/LORES

If you use 15/15 your tach will be reading 3.4% too low.
    It will read 2900 when your actual engine speed is 3000.

If you use 14/15 your tach will be reading 100% accurate.

I should add. Being 3% off on an analog tach is not a big deal. I tried to run my engine at 3000 rpm and compare my tach to the actual scanner readout. I saw a negligible difference even when the tach was off. Hopefully I helped someone understand what the signal is and how to TUNE it…. ( this can be useful is trying to create a signal to work with a non GM gauge cluster...) Settings of 15/15 will probably not be noticable especially on an analog tach.

Now the older GEN III engines used a 24x system....
    If you set the HIRES and LORES to 3/3 you would get exactly 4 pulses per engine revolution, the world is happy.
    3+3 = 6 total crank pulses to provide 1 ECM output pulse.
    24/6 = 4 pulses per revolution

Thats is what I have learned. I wanted to truly understand this info as it was not clearly stated (for me) anywhere on the internet on what the number actually mean.

7/7 can be used for a 4 pulse tach but your tach will read 3.4% high. It could possibly respond faster then having your tach set in 4 cylinder mode.
    Last edited by kmkommes; 10-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    nice explanation, how did you come up with a resistor of 1k ohm? i was told 680ohms.

can you chime in on why its needed?

-Carl

Advanced Tuner
    bump!

Total bump!
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    nice explanation, how did you come up with a resistor of 1k ohm? i was told 680ohms.

can you chime in on why its needed?

-Carl
    It doesn't matter too much on what value this resistor is provided the ECM can swing the voltage around enough for the tacho to see the pulses and draw enough current to drive it.

The ECM simply grounds the tacho pin so a reference voltage is needed so that the tacho can see a square wave. Pulling the pin up to 12v when it is idle means that when the ECM pulls the tacho pin hi and lo the tacho input sees a swing from 0 - 12v. They are really designed to only need 6-8v though as that is what a regular coil and points ignition runs between.

With a 58X crank a factory and aftermarket electronic tacho runs fine on 15/15 on 4 cyl mode and 7/8 on 8 cyl mode. The numbers simply dictate for how many crank pulses the tacho pin stays hi and stays lo.

Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    It doesn't matter too much on what value this resistor is provided the ECM can swing the voltage around enough for the tacho to see the pulses and draw enough current to drive it.

The ECM simply grounds the tacho pin so a reference voltage is needed so that the tacho can see a square wave. Pulling the pin up to 12v when it is idle means that when the ECM pulls the tacho pin hi and lo the tacho input sees a swing from 0 - 12v. They are really designed to only need 6-8v though as that is what a regular coil and points ignition runs between.

With a 58X crank a factory and aftermarket electronic tacho runs fine on 15/15 on 4 cyl mode and 7/8 on 8 cyl mode. The numbers simply dictate for how many crank pulses the tacho pin stays hi and stays lo.
    Badass Now I have to do some Googling.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Correct HPTuners tach settings for E38 ecm with 58x crank sensor.
    Tach Output = Crank
    Resolution - High =14
    Resolution - Low =15
    This will make the ECM output the correct frequency for a 2 pulse per revolution tach. The Duty cycle of the frequency will be 48.3%. 14/29
    FTW!!!! just did this now and worked great thanks!

Potential Tuner

e38 vhx dakota digital gauges tach

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    FTW!!!! just did this now and worked great thanks!

Hi, Used this info to hook VHX gauges on an E38 ECM. The only difference was they have a 5v input so no resistor. Thanks Mike

Senior Tuner
    A 58x crank is really a 60x crank that's missing 2 teeth...15/15 should be good to go for a 4 cylinder mode tach.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Ditto. The ECM interpolates the missing teeth to produce a 60 pulse per rev signal that is then divided according to the cal.

Tuner in Training
    Nice information. Can you help me with this?

I have problem with my 2008 LY6. I have repinned a wire to pin 48. In HP tuners I have flashed it to "crank" and 15/15. Using resistors for a pull up signal around 1K and a switched 12volt wire I get nothing. I have tried with 3 tachometer different and nothing.

I have other problem that I donĀ“t know if is relationship with Tach. My speed gauge(on HPTuners) show always 252 km/hr.

Specs TJ

Wrangler TJ
    LY6-2008 (Out Silverado 2500HD)
    T56 - Corvette 94
    Adapter T56/D20 in house
    Tranfer Case Dana 20
    F44 front
    F9 rear Detroit locker
    33x12.50 Dunes Grappler

Regadrs
    Raul

This setup worked great on mine. Does anyone know if something similar has to be done in order for the VHX speedo to work?
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Potential Tuner
    So I need to set to crank, 4cyl mode and add resister for my autometer ultralite to work with my ls3 in my 67 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 1967camaro78 View Post
    So I need to set to crank, 4cyl mode and add resister for my autometer ultralite to work with my ls3 in my 67 camaro
    4k resistor 12v+ign to pull up the signal works here, same tach

Potential Tuner

tach signal

does anyone know how to configure this for a window switch setup. i opened my hptuner file and tach output-crank high res-1 low res-1.... my window switch can be set for 4/6/8 cyl mode. i tried a fuel injector initially for tach signal but wouldnt pick up anything so this is obvoiusly the way i need to go to get a usable tach signal. any input would be greatly appreciated

Potential Tuner
    I just came up on this issue too! Running a Dakota digital vhx with e38/ls3. Did all of the above but still cannot get my tach to work. Any other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas3735 View Post
    I just came up on this issue too! Running a Dakota digital vhx with e38/ls3. Did all of the above but still cannot get my tach to work. Any other suggestions.
    Post your tune.
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Potential Tuner
    1969 Camaro LS3 -5.hpt
    Quote Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    Post your tune.
    here it is....

Potential Tuner
    I had the same issues with mine and just got it working (L99 with 6L80E in a 65 Chevelle) I used "CRANK" at 7 on high and 8 on low. I hope this helps

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywhoops View Post
    I had the same issues with mine and just got it working (L99 with 6L80E in a 65 Chevelle) I used "CRANK" at 7 on high and 8 on low. I hope this helps
    Thank you!!! I will try it tonight.