Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GEN IV E38 Tach Settings for aftermarket tach (autometer)

Potential Tuner
    Didn't work. Any more suggestion please

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas3735 View Post
    Didn't work. Any more suggestion please
    Never mind. Figured it out

Tuner in Training
    hey Douglas3735, what did you do to get your dakota digital to work? i have a similar setup and not working for me either.

thanks Gerry

Tuner in Training
    I sorted it out as well, original post worked perfectly, my issue was the tach setting was in between 2 positions. Thanks for the great info!

Tuner
    I tried and tried to get my E67 "crate engine" ECM to output a tach signal my Autometer tach would read but failed. So I gave up and installed a Dakota Digital STA-1000 and it works perfectly. Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by pannetron; 08-13-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to say thank you. I followed these steps but tach was reading about 1/2. Went back and read again and noticed that I missed the 4-cyl mode part. Should be good to go now.

Sorry to bump an old thread but my concern is directly applicable.

This thread is great for explaining how to set up an auxiliary tach from a programming perspective but is there any information on how we're supposed to access pin 48 on the connector? I've seen some pretty scary videos of people cutting up the connector on a bench (how they got it out of the car I don't know) but I'm assuming for myself I would not be able to do much more than disconnect the harness from the PCM, work on it under the hood and plug it back in again. The level of dexterity needed and access to the harness lead me to believe this is going to be a horrible task to undertake and I'm wondering if anyone has developed a procedure for it?

Potential Tuner
    Hi...thanks for the advice....used this set up through a Dakota digital SGI-8e and Dolphin gauges.....no resistor needed. Worked very well. 36 Packard with 09 lq9 6.0 litre 4L65e.

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone done this with stock one gauges ?

I have a 1972 GMC and I'd like to use the stock tach and speedo, but all of these suggestions use aftermarket vhx or auto meter gauges.

I have a stock tach. I want to keep it that way. No robing internals from newer vehicles and that sort of things. Any suggestions?

Has anyone put a scope on this pin to have a look at the square wave? I did and measured 0.5V peak to peak. That's really small and with the noise levels it makes it hard to pick up on the edge. Has anyone else been able to confirm this? Do aftermarket tach's actually work off 0.5V or is my situation an anomaly?

What would the values be for a tach that is looking for a 3 pulse? (V6 tachometer in a gmt400 truck)

Potential Tuner
    Has anyone ever tried this to wire in a fuel controller? I'm looking for a rpm pulse to set a areomotive 16306 speed control.