Thread: Traction Control and Stock 99 C5 A4 File

Potential Tuner

Traction Control and Stock 99 C5 A4 File

I am considering the purchase of HPTuners this week and I have two questions.

1. Can HPtuners adjust Traction Control?

2. Can I get a copy of a stock tune file for a 99 C5 A4 Coupe?

My PCM was programed for 3:73 gears with ls1edit and I have had tranny problems since then. So, I would like to start out with a stock program.

Thanks
    Dennis

Re: Traction Control and Stock 99 C5 A4 File

the only thing you can adjust is the spark retard due to traction control. which if you reduce it will just make traction control come in faster.

I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

Is there a way to remove Traction Control? I know ther is in edit. Also, do you have a library of stock PCM files?

Thanks

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    the only thing you can adjust is the spark retard due to traction control. which if you reduce it will just make traction control come in faster.

Can you explain this a little more? I zeroed the spark retard tables in the traction control section because I was still haveing some issues that I thought might have been TM......just wanted to rule out all the possibilities. Are you saying my TC should kick in faster because of this? I havent had a chance to test since i did this, so please let me know your thoughts.........

Thanx,

Chad

Potential Tuner

Are you planning to add Traction Control adjustments in the future?

okay so traction control does a number of things, i can;t speak exactly for vettes but here's how it goes in general...

1. one wheel spinning, ABS applies braking force to that wheel to stop wheelspin
    2. both wheels spinning, engine reduces torque to attempt to stop wheelspin (this is what the TCS retard tables do)
    3. if wheelspin persists then either throttle relaxer or ETC closes throttle to dramatically reduce power and stop wheelspin.

if you make step 2 less effective (or not effective at all) then you will reach step 3 faster.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    okay so traction control does a number of things, i can;t speak exactly for vettes but here's how it goes in general...

1. one wheel spinning, ABS applies braking force to that wheel to stop wheelspin
    2. both wheels spinning, engine reduces torque to attempt to stop wheelspin (this is what the TCS retard tables do)
    3. if wheelspin persists then either throttle relaxer or ETC closes throttle to dramatically reduce power and stop wheelspin.

if you make step 2 less effective (or not effective at all) then you will reach step 3 faster.

AH......chit.......guess i should put those back in there then... ...LOL......

Thanx for the info

Potential Tuner

Chris, do you have any plans to add a way to reduce Traction Control in future releases??

Thanks

the short answer is i dunno, most discussions i have seen on this topic usually end in the liability issues in doing so... notwithstanding the fact that we don't know exactly the details of how to change it and even if it is changeable via flashing.

Most people (like me) just get used to pushing the button when you start the car

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

I do not have a button to push for traction control,but i see that i have settings for traction control when i edit. does this mean it still will apply when the wheels try to spin?
    1998 Camaro 5.7Modds-SLP lid-flow master cat back-ported MAF.

Potential Tuner

For those who hate pushing the button to turn tcs off, there is a wiring fix you can do to have the tcs automatically off when the car starts. There's an article on one of the f-body websites, maybe installuniversity.com or ls1camero.com. Sorry, but I don't know the specific site.