Thread: SD tune for E38 Questions

Tuner in Training

SD tune for E38 Questions

Ok, questions:

I have a g8 with a 434ci stroker engine in it. Its been tuned but im a perfectionist and im not happy with where its at. Its getting terrible fuel mileage, seems rich and is a bit cranky at times starting. Id like to take a stab at tuning the thing in SD possibly with the custom OS available from HP Tuners. However im not sure i can get it done. so the question is if i flash to the custom OS if i totally screw this thing up can i flash back to my current running tune? If not can someone point me to a good tutorial on where to start with my current tune. I think its a case of someone more familar with gen III's tuning a Gen IV car a lot of playing with the PE table and not much else.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you can save your current file and apply later.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone have a good tutorial on how to do an SD tune for my car with the engine thats in it. I really want to try to tune this car right from the ground up. I think the tune thats in it is a true hack job. The fact i have never even looked at HP tuners and i have improved it vastly based on a few web tutorials says it all to me.

Advanced Tuner
    Get this freeware here : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26884

Great info in that thread.

Tuner in Training
    ive seen this piece of software before, is there a way for me to pull the current tune out and covert it to SD so i have a base point to start with on the SD tune? and what risks do i run changing to a custom OS?