Thread: Newbe

Tuner in Training

Newbe

Hey guys. I've been thinking about buying a HP Tuner for my Vette that I just done a heads and cam swap on. I've always been intrested in tuning and I'm thinking about taking on the challange, but I'm worried about screwing things up and hurting something.

Can you download tunes form this site and then tweek e'm to fit your own needs?

Tuner in Training
    Although it is possible, your safest bet would be to use your original file as your base and make changes to it as you go. Before you do or change anything: Save a copy of the original factory tune/file that you first read and licensed from your P.C.M. and save a backup copy on a flashdrive or something- saving both of those files as read only to maintain their integrity. If you see a file here with some calibrations you think would suit your application, you can highlight a number or an entire column and right click/copy, then open your original file you previously saved and higlight the corisponding area and rightclick/paste. You can then save the file you're working with under a new name and it can then be over-written again allowing you to make tweaks from there. Safer this way (file vs. P.C.M. compatibility), also helps prevent wasting licenses, and will also allow you to make changes to individual parameters like ignition timing or fuel seperately, and then see if you like the results. Even if you were careful in your research and found a tune and O.S. that was safe to flash on to your perticular year P.C.M. you might not like the way it made your car run at all, or it could come extremely close to how you would like it to run, but because so many parameters were changed all at once you won't know which ones you need to tweak. I guess after you've made some progress or are completely satisfied with the tune it wouldn't hurt to save a backup copy of it on that flash drive as well to protect all the time & octane you've invested in tweaking and test driving. And if you ever need to, you can perform a Write Entire onto your P.C.M. using that original file which should completely restore it to the state it was before anything was changed. Good Luck!
    Last edited by PopUpBlocker; 11-06-2011 at 11:12 AM.