Thread: CAN commication issues VZ Commodore V6 alloytech

Potential Tuner

CAN commication issues VZ Commodore V6 alloytech

Have recently had a dead ECU in Australian 2005 V6 alloytech Holden VZ commodore. New ECU was reprogrammed on bench and installed into vehcile.

I am now able to communication with the ECU but i am recieving alot of CAN communication errors.....

- If I try to read VCM it goes very slowly and randomly stops and retrys (error reading TCM at location ????). it will often fail after 5 retrys on the same location.

The PIM contains the following DTC whilst this is happening....

o U2105 Communication error with ECU (If I disconnect ECU, errors reports cannot communicate with ABC/TC/EPS)
    o EEPROM ERROR (There is no code associated with this error)
    o Scan tool resets at this point

I have programmed a new PIM, linked to BCM but I still get the same problem, but my scan tools now lock up when checking the DTC's (Says there are 3 set but crashs trying to show me what they are. Hptuners scanner cannot read the codes from my PIM at all, only from TCM and ECU.

I have seen some axcillary serial communication errors logged in both my BCM and instrument cluster but these are not always reproducable and seem to appear randomly.

I feel its either a faulty new ECU, fault PIM's (new and old) or I have interfearance on my can wires. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I need to put a scope on the CAN wires and check the signals

BTW after about 10 retrys trying to read VCM I got a successful read but it failed the validation checks when trying to open the file, so im thinkings it currupted on the read or VCM in vehicle is currupted. I am also unable to relink the VATS on this vehcile tells me it is unable to unlock the VCM.

Thanks,

Brad.

Senior Tuner
    You need to e-mail Support for a clear answer, but I was having a similar issue with a GTO and it turned out to be a small recovery bug on certain pcms with one of the Beta versions. Later versions should have the fix.

Had a failed Write Calibration and it left all of the modules on the bus un-responsive. Battery reset didn't help.

Might be a similar issue.
    Jaime

sounds like you have a wiring isue of some sort. These little ECMs need to be well grounded to the chassis (the case of the ECM) maybe that is the problem.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    You need to e-mail Support for a clear answer, but I was having a similar issue with a GTO and it turned out to be a small recovery bug on certain pcms with one of the Beta versions. Later versions should have the fix.

Had a failed Write Calibration and it left all of the modules on the bus un-responsive. Battery reset didn't help.

Might be a similar issue.
    How did you end up fixing this issue ?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1012901913 View Post
    Have recently had a dead ECU in Australian 2005 V6 alloytech Holden VZ commodore. New ECU was reprogrammed on bench and installed into vehcile.

I am now able to communication with the ECU but i am recieving alot of CAN communication errors.....

- If I try to read VCM it goes very slowly and randomly stops and retrys (error reading TCM at location ????). it will often fail after 5 retrys on the same location.

The PIM contains the following DTC whilst this is happening....

o U2105 Communication error with ECU (If I disconnect ECU, errors reports cannot communicate with ABC/TC/EPS)
    o EEPROM ERROR (There is no code associated with this error)
    o Scan tool resets at this point

I have programmed a new PIM, linked to BCM but I still get the same problem, but my scan tools now lock up when checking the DTC's (Says there are 3 set but crashs trying to show me what they are. Hptuners scanner cannot read the codes from my PIM at all, only from TCM and ECU.

I have seen some axcillary serial communication errors logged in both my BCM and instrument cluster but these are not always reproducable and seem to appear randomly.

I feel its either a faulty new ECU, fault PIM's (new and old) or I have interfearance on my can wires. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I need to put a scope on the CAN wires and check the signals

BTW after about 10 retrys trying to read VCM I got a successful read but it failed the validation checks when trying to open the file, so im thinkings it currupted on the read or VCM in vehicle is currupted. I am also unable to relink the VATS on this vehcile tells me it is unable to unlock the VCM.

Thanks,

Brad.
    Hi Brad,

Did you ever workout what the problem was?

I'm having similar issues and about to replace the ECU which I as advised could be the problem. I have already replaced the battery as it was on its way out which could have been some issues. I'm trying to fix as many problems I can before getting the car to Holden for new ECU.

Some other errors I have seen in the past and intermittently:

U0001-00 - No communication with Can-Bus (High Speed)
    U2106 - Can-Bus No communication with TCM
    U2100-00 - Can-BUs Circuit Malfunction
    U2108-00 - Can-Bus No Communication with ABS/TC/ESP
    18 - Auxiliary Serial Data Bus Fault
    18 - ECC Fault Logged
    19 - EEPROM Error

P0443-00 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Solenoid Circuit Malfunction (This has been present for the last 2 years and have been advised its the ECU)
    P0206-00 - Injector 6 circuit malfunction
    P1632-48 - Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received
    P1668-00 - Alternator L Terminal Circuit Malfunction
    P2500-00 - Alternator L Terminal Low Voltage

Some of these errors are caused from bad battery and have been cleared.
    I have tested the voltage drop and and various areas I get 0.04V or there about.
    I have cleaned the earth connection cleaned the all fuse and relay terminals. swapped a few relays around.

I'm about to install bluetooth battery monitor just to confirm if there is any issues with the alternator voltage regulator.

Any pointer to diagnose the problem would be great.

Cheers ,

Ermin