Thread: question regarding trans adapt reset/preset

Tuner in Training

question regarding trans adapt reset/preset

I have a rebuilt trans for my 09 cts-v and when initially installed, the car would buck 4-5 times on initial underway and find itself. This would only occur on the intial key turn. If I would pull over and get underway again it would not exhibit the bucking. However if I pulled over and turned off the key and then started the car it would buck again as I got underway.

This bucking when intially underway was either tuned out by the tuner or relearned after about an hour of work by the tuner. Approximately 2,000 miles later, I have a severe bang in the 2-3 shift. In descibing it over the phone to DSteck it was suspected to be a slide bump. It feels as if it has alot of pressure when it attempts to disengage and go into 3rd from 2nd.
    The front end dips as it disengages and bumps under mild accelration.
    It is fine under wot.

DSteck has been working with me over the phone and thru emailing tunes. He sent me 1 file with some adjustments and I loaded the file. The 2-3 seemed to be a little better and he was going to try some other things. He sent me a file last night where he changed the tune by
    shortened shift times for 2-3 in both normal and sport modes, and also upped the oncoming pressure to try and help it complete the shift quicker.

If it was to get worse, what he'll do is back the oncoming pressure back down to stock. If that makes it better, he will lower it even more. If it doesn't seem to change anything, he will mess with the offgoing pressure. Baby steps and he'll play with it. He also lowered the oncoming volume preset for 2-3. I was also instructed to reset the trans adapter stuff.

I loaded the tune and went into scanner and selected vcm controls and started the scanner to highlight the trans reset button. I selected trans reset. This proved to do nothing and I still had the 2-3 bang. I pulled over and selected the trans preset. When this was done the car exhibited the 4or5 bucks from many miles ago and first start up of the new trans, but the 2-3 bang was gone.

I stopped and then got under way again and no bucking and no 2-3 bang.
    So then i stopped and turned the key off and restarted the car. This time, I got the 4 or 5 bucks underway, but no bang in 2-3. I pulled over and then got underway and no bucking and no 2-3 bang again. I did this a few times and eventually after a key turn and getting under way the bucking was gone and the 2-3 is gone.

So as it stands right now, I turn the key, no bucking and no 2-3 bang.

The questions I have are:

1.) Why was there no change when I hit the reset?
    2.) Why the obvious change when I hit the preset?
    3.) What is the proper sequence of key strokes for the trans adapt reset/preset and what is the difference?
    4.) Why would the car buck 4 to 5 times only on the intial key turn and intial underway?
    5.) Why did this 4 or 5 bucks stop after about 4 key turns? Was it due to relearn?
    6.) Is the 2-3 bang possibly going to return?

Last but not least,

WHO IS THIS DSTECK GUY? He is good!
    Last edited by cbloveday; 11-29-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Potential Tuner
    cbloveday, I am in the process of tuning my trans although it is not rebuilt...YET!! ANY lessons learned would be appreciated. I am watching for responses on your post.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cbloveday View Post
    I have a rebuilt trans for my 09 cts-v and when initially installed, the car would buck 4-5 times on initial underway and find itself. This would only occur on the intial key turn. If I would pull over and get underway again it would not exhibit the bucking. However if I pulled over and turned off the key and then started the car it would buck again as I got underway.

This bucking when intially underway was either tuned out by the tuner or relearned after about an hour of work by the tuner. Approximately 2,000 miles later, I have a severe bang in the 2-3 shift. In descibing it over the phone to DSteck it was suspected to be a slide bump. It feels as if it has alot of pressure when it attempts to disengage and go into 3rd from 2nd.
    The front end dips as it disengages and bumps under mild accelration.
    It is fine under wot.

DSteck has been working with me over the phone and thru emailing tunes. He sent me 1 file with some adjustments and I loaded the file. The 2-3 seemed to be a little better and he was going to try some other things. He sent me a file last night where he changed the tune by
    shortened shift times for 2-3 in both normal and sport modes, and also upped the oncoming pressure to try and help it complete the shift quicker.

If it was to get worse, what he'll do is back the oncoming pressure back down to stock. If that makes it better, he will lower it even more. If it doesn't seem to change anything, he will mess with the offgoing pressure. Baby steps and he'll play with it. He also lowered the oncoming volume preset for 2-3. I was also instructed to reset the trans adapter stuff.

I loaded the tune and went into scanner and selected vcm controls and started the scanner to highlight the trans reset button. I selected trans reset. This proved to do nothing and I still had the 2-3 bang. I pulled over and selected the trans preset. When this was done the car exhibited the 4or5 bucks from many miles ago and first start up of the new trans, but the 2-3 bang was gone.

I stopped and then got under way again and no bucking and no 2-3 bang.
    So then i stopped and turned the key off and restarted the car. This time, I got the 4 or 5 bucks underway, but no bang in 2-3. I pulled over and then got underway and no bucking and no 2-3 bang again. I did this a few times and eventually after a key turn and getting under way the bucking was gone and the 2-3 is gone.

So as it stands right now, I turn the key, no bucking and no 2-3 bang.

The questions I have are:

1.) Why was there no change when I hit the reset?
    2.) Why the obvious change when I hit the preset?
    3.) What is the proper sequence of key strokes for the trans adapt reset/preset and what is the difference?
    4.) Why would the car buck 4 to 5 times only on the intial key turn and intial underway?
    5.) Why did this 4 or 5 bucks stop after about 4 key turns? Was it due to relearn?
    6.) Is the 2-3 bang possibly going to return?

Last but not least,

WHO IS THIS DSTECK GUY? He is good!
    DSteck has the answers to the questions?

Reset clears the adapt learn cells to zero. Preset sets the learn cells to nominal factory values.

What do you mean bucks? Normally bucking is the engine or GF.

2-3 bang you will know it once it returns it returns if it returns (sorry ). Was the trans re-built stock or modified? A6 experienced builder?

As for 2-3 bang does it happen at all throttle settings? i.e. cruise throttle, hard throttle, decel? Or only under load?

DSteck is an a**hole.

Just kidding, he's an amazing tuner. Next time I travel through his city I'ma have to look him up and buy him a beer. Not to mention whoop up on his TT Vette with my latest little project
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    DSteck is an a**hole.

Just kidding, he's an amazing tuner. Next time I travel through his city I'ma have to look him up and buy him a beer. Not to mention whoop up on his TT Vette with my latest little project
    Guilty as charged.

Bring it on, limp dick!

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Guilty as charged.

Bring it on, limp dick!
    En Garde sonny boy, I'm gonna whip you like a red-headed step child!
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner in Training
    Who tuned it previous to the rebuild? Was it rebuilt from burnt clutches or busted hardparts or what was the reason to be rebuilt?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LSX378 View Post
    DSteck has the answers to the questions?

Reset clears the adapt learn cells to zero. Preset sets the learn cells to nominal factory values.

What do you mean bucks? Normally bucking is the engine or GF.

2-3 bang you will know it once it returns it returns if it returns (sorry ). Was the trans re-built stock or modified? A6 experienced builder?

As for 2-3 bang does it happen at all throttle settings? i.e. cruise throttle, hard throttle, decel? Or only under load?
    Happens only at cruise and not on decel

Trans was replaced with brand new tranny, clutch packs replaced with alto red clutches.
    Drums and shafts were strengthened

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxecb View Post
    Who tuned it previous to the rebuild? Was it rebuilt from burnt clutches or busted hardparts or what was the reason to be rebuilt?
    tuned by builder previous to rebuild. Tranny tune prior to rebuild was simply increased line pressures.
    Installed a 434 all forged and 2300 maggy. Tranny had about 35 1/4 mile runs and held up well with more than frequent tranny flushes and increased line pressures. Strengthened as a precaution.
    Last edited by cbloveday; 12-01-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I know this is an old thread, but for those who find it in search like I did.......I've figured out how to fix this infamous 2-3 shift bang that everyone fights with.

If your car has a stock stall with a built 6L80, do the trans fast adapt "fast learn". This will ONLY work if you have a stock stall, but it will allow the TCM to accommodate any new modifications to the trans so it can function properly. Attempting to tune around these issues without doing this learn will only band aid the problem and not entirely fix it. I've been dealing with this for 12-14 months on several 6L80's we've done until I finally figured this out. I had 1 car that I had to pull the trans out of 3 times because attempting to tune around these issues kept hurting clutches. I did the learn on it, tuned the trans afterwards, haven't had a problem since!!

Good luck for those reading this having the infamous shift bang issues with built 6L80's.