Thread: 5.3 dyno tune

Advanced Tuner

5.3 dyno tune

I have a friend that got a dyno tune from a big name seattle area tuner on his 07 avalanche. I read the tune out and didn't find much changed. The tuner said that either I am inept or my software is out of date and I couldn't see all of the changes made to his tune. Here is a stock 07 avalanche tune and the "Dyno" tune. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by superwagon; 12-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Tuner in Training
    They arent licensed to my interface so i couldnt save and compare the differences, but quickly browsing over it i only saw the pe enrichment rate and the delay rpm for pe and that was it. Still had tq management, and no timing added, no trans tuning that i saw just glancing at it. This is pretty sickening knowing that people actually do this type of stuff. Would def get my money back.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxecb View Post
    They arent licensed to my interface so i couldnt save and compare the differences, .
    Just "save as" the file when you download it instead of opening it. If you save both files that way you can them open them both to compare whenever you want.

Potential Tuner
    Between the 2 tunes that you listed I see at least 5 parameters and 7 tables that were modified. They are mostly under Fuel and Spark. There are also some changes under transmission and speedometer.

I'm new at tuning so I can't say how much effect the changes had but there is a big difference in the spark advance tables and the fuel power enrich tables.
    Last edited by rnelson11; 12-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Shop X (Trifecta?) changed (17) individual tables vs. the stock tune. This is a typical copy/paste tune with a dyno sheet showing increase in power attached to a & a bill. The WOT Commanded AFR (PE Enrichment) is still way in the low 11's...weaksauce! VE/MAF are not touched, wtf? You would feel more of a seat of the pants increase just toying with the transmission setting alone than that entire tune is offering.
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 12-03-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Shop X (Trifecta?) changed (17) individual tables vs. the stock tune. This is a typical copy/paste tune with a dyno sheet showing increase in power attached to a & a bill. The WOT Commanded AFR (PE Enrichment) is still way in the low 11's...weaksauce! VE/MAF are not touched, wtf? You would feel more of a seat of the pants increase just toying with the transmission setting alone than that entire tune is offering.
    You and I agree 100%. I guess that makes us both inept tuners!

Advanced Tuner
    this is something you hear about more and more often, its sad but true, I'd already had vehicles with professional dyno tunes come to me where i still got another 150+ rwhp out of them.

The good tuners will be talked about, not by company but by name.

I'd go back to the shop and demand a refund, I personally can't let a vehicle leave the shop knowing it isn't right, I've spent 16+ hrs tuning some vehicles before because of either electrical or mechanical issues. Find a tuner that takes pride in their work and isn't hesitant to give you advice or answer any questions you may have. Customer Service goes a long way.

Advanced Tuner
    the PE is going more into mid tens with 1.38, why in the heck would one do that on a truck anyway?

Add me to the list of inept tuners too. That "Dyno" tune is B.S.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

that's it, i'm going to open a shop. btw, wtf is ve/maf?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    that's it, i'm going to open a shop. btw, wtf is ve/maf?
    Lol, VE is volumetric effeciency or (virtual engine) as I like to call it. MAF is Mass Air Flow.

The prediction values for oncoming X amount of air, and the fuel required to make Y air/fuel mixture burn at a certain ration. I.E. 12.5:1 AFR.

EDIT: Wait, WTF? You should know this! Quit pulling people's legs!
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Senior Tuner
    What has me miffed (more like pissed off!) is Trifecta is 1 of 2 competent shops in the United States that can tune 2010+ V6 Camaro's. Honestly, I just can't believe this is their work?
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT View Post
    Lol, VE is volumetric effeciency or (virtual engine) as I like to call it. MAF is Mass Air Flow.

The prediction values for oncoming X amount of air, and the fuel required to make Y air/fuel mixture burn at a certain ration. I.E. 12.5:1 AFR.

EDIT: Wait, WTF? You should know this! Quit pulling people's legs!
    Well at least now we know you know! Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Well at least now we know you know! Heh.
    I KNOW NOTHING!

618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Just curious, what where the dyno results?
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Advanced Tuner
    According to the owner of the truck he gained 35hp and 40tq. I have not seen the printout yet. I was excited to be able to read the tune because those sounded like very nice gains. I was hoping to be able to learn something seeing a dyno tune done by one of the best in the business. was very surprised when I started looking the tune over. I told the owner that not allot was changed and showed him what was changed and what could/should be adjusted. He contacted vince and questioned him about the tune, vince told him I was inept and has not responded to any further correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    According to the owner of the truck he gained 35hp and 40tq. I have not seen the printout yet. I was excited to be able to read the tune because those sounded like very nice gains. I was hoping to be able to learn something seeing a dyno tune done by one of the best in the business. was very surprised when I started looking the tune over. I told the owner that not allot was changed and showed him what was changed and what could/should be adjusted. He contacted vince and questioned him about the tune, vince told him I was inept and has not responded to any further correspondence.
    this is why sometimes better to do it on ur own and know wats going on
    4.8 222/224 pacesetter lts 3inch y pipe with magnaflow cai efan servo

Senior Tuner
    Sent a copy of this thread to Trifecta by email (http://www.trifectaperformance.com/email.aspx).

"Your email has been submitted, and a representative from Trifecta Performance will contact you soon."

Let's see what kind of customer service response we receive from Vince @ Trifecta.

Re-tune followed by re-post of corrections would be my request as a customer.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Cell 210-954-4985

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Potential Tuner

After superwagon sent me the link to this post, and reading all the comments, I felt a need to reply.

I am the owner of the vehicle superwagon is talking about. Unfortunatley, I have tried to address this with Vince. He is very resistant to supply me any information and states that superwagon's software is out of date, besides calling him an inept tuner. He seems to stick to that and when asked if he would provide screen shots or supply anything to prove I didn't receive just a fuel enrichment tune, he doesn't answer. So demanding a refund or a re-tune appears to be out of the question. And since Vince is a traveling tuner (no shop), it's not like I can go speak with him directly.

Not sure that I'd even demand a re-tune from someone who appears to have given me the run around, taken my money, and left me with a tune that appears to do more harm than any good. I don't know that I could trust the guy from this point forward. He is obviously on the defensive and most likely because he knows what he did was wrong. I will be getting together with superwagon to have a re-tune done. At least I know I'll be getting a correct tune from a trust worthy person.

Live and learn........to bad it has to be with Trifecta Performance, who I was told was a pretty reputable company in my area.

Potential Tuner
    I would also be interested in seeing how Trifecta / Vince replies to the link being sent to him by Cantalope Kid. What kind of back peddling will happen now?