Thread: 12200411 US PCM, Can it use Australian Tune ?

12200411 US PCM, Can it use Australian Tune ?

Ok i hope i am not re-posting something thats already been covered but i haven't found anything close to what i need to know in searches so here goes.

I have gotten a 12200411 PCM from USA for use in Aus. Its going to be used on an LS1 transplanted into a race car with a T350 tranny.

So my question is, i have 4 credits sitting here to use but i don't want to go and do anything until im sure of what im doing. So currently the PCM when i connect to it tells me its:

GM Firebird/Camaro (V8) 2001

and obviously it has the associated VIN from the donor vehicle.

So my plan is to run it mafless and i wanted to put a custom OS in it, but i am figuring being that its an Australian car that the motor came from i would be best off using an Australian tune ?

I'm not really sure how i have to go about it and i don't want to licence the current OS if that then means i can't licence it for australian tune etc ....

Any suggestions on what the process is to get this to where i want it would be appreciated ?
    No matter what the question is, the answer is always MORE HORSEPOWER!!

The 0411 PCMs are very flexible and are able to be written successfully with many different OSs. Unless you do not have unlimited licence capability or various unlimited year models and assuming you wish to change the OS you will need to licence the following:

- Current OS (2 credits)
    - New OS (2 credits)
    - Apply Enhanced OS (2 credits)

An LS1 for all intents and purposes is the same in Aus as the US, although there are many different variants they are the same motor so strictly speaking there is no need to apply an 'Australian' OS. Assuming there is an Enhanced OS available for the current Camaro OS there is no reason why you couldn't just stick the Camaro and apply the EnhOS to that.

The only advantage off the top of my you'd get with Aussie OS is functioning Lean Cruise and if the current file isn't already a M6 file then I'd be inclined to run a M6 file due to the T350. As to what you do for VSS I am not certain on your setup, but that would certainly be beneficial for the PCM to have a speed input for idle routines, Throttle Cracker etc.

I'll check my licences and see if the various unlimited years/models covers that OS and if it does I'd be happy to write entire an Aussie OS if that is what you'd prefer, I'm not sure that I have that one, but i'll check. The alternative is you can stick with the Camaro OS with Enh SD OS for 4 credits or use another Aus OS and then apply Enh SD for a total of 6 credits, but as I say there is limited point in using an Aus OS in my opinion unless I am missing something.

Cheers

I hope all that made sense

Can you confirm that the OS is 12225074 as I knew I'd seen it before, it is the same OS as 03 (VY series 1) LS1 (non HSV) Holdens so although the VIN is identifying the OS/Tune as Camaro it is already the same as a VY LS1 (non-HSV) so therefore you already have an Aussie OS.

Can you either post the tune here or email it to me if you'd prefer as I would like to compare it to some if you don't mind.

ok heres the info from HPT

and this is the tune i sucked out of it in above pic.
    12225074 - tune from pcm.zip
    Last edited by Sam272; 12-06-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Righto, comparing that tune to three other different tunes with the same OS; a VY SV8 M6, VY Berlina A4, and a VY SS Ute M6 it is almost identical to the SS Ute. I will attach them so you can compare for yourself, but you essentially have an 'Aussie' tune meaning that Lean Cruise should work and given there will be no VIN/OS mismatch you should be even able to change the VIN to that of a 03 Holden if that is what you would really like. Either way the OS you have is fine for what you want. You can apply the EnhOS and save 2 credits getting another Aus OS for no benefit.

Here are some std files using 12225074 OS to compare to with the Ute one being the closest:

Hope they help

sweet thanks man!

so i need to licence this one (2 credits) then to apply the enhanced os will be another 2 credits ?

as far as lean cruise etc, the motors going in a drag car so will be strip duties only so im not too worried about that sorta stuff.

I just got some info back from the guy i bought it from, its a US PCM but he got it from the states and put a LS1 Commodore tune on it before posting, so that probably explains why its got the Camaro VIN but Aussie OS ??

You will likely get a vin/os mismatch when you go to program it.

I was wondering why I did not recognize that OS as a camaro/firebird.

Ryan

what are the implications of the vin/os mismatch ?

sorry these are probably pretty basic questions, but i just don't want to go and torch my credits doing the wrong thing.

I don't have unlimited US licences so I cannot tell you conclusively. I must admit I assumed that it was a legitimate OS and VIN match and just a coincidence that it was used in other platforms; I didn't even think that someone may have used other software to create the mismatch.

Anyone with unlimited year/model for 01 Camaro/Firebird or unlimited Gen3 would be able to confirm whether or not it is in fact a mismatch. I didn't even think HPT would read a file with a mismatch (for example an EFILive file that's had the VIN changed to another year or model), but I am clearly wrong there.

Nah, they are valid questions for sure. The worst case scenario that I can see if there is a mismatch and you cannot get someone to correct it (with say EFILive or similar) then you would be able to Write Entire over the top an OS/VIN that does match; the downside is it would waste 2 credits to licence the file you have posted.

The project sounds interesting, what is it going in. I am not too far from your neck of the woods, sounds like a cool project.
    Last edited by SSUte01; 12-07-2011 at 03:56 AM.

This is the beast in question.

Currently its got a holden 202 straight 6 in it, running fuel injection with methanol, its backed by a trimatic, the plan is to run it as is for the time being and get the most out of the 202 i can while i piece together the LS1/T350 setup, then once i get to that stage i'll pull the 202 and slot the LS1 in.

The current setup is VN Commodore computer and wiring, with realtime mods to tune it.

That is very nice, light chassis and N/A, very nice recipe IMO. Are you running in Super Street? Do you think the T350 will be up to the task behind the LS1, I guess being very light eases the burden quite a lot.

What sort of arse end does it run, live axle or something more dedicated?

That is very cool. Best of luck, I'd be keen to see it run at WSID, it's quite the setup. What sort of ETs has it run thus far.

i haven't actually run in anything other than the wednesday night meeting but the car is Andra teched with the 202 for super street, got two runs then it was rained out, im trying to get back there but it keeps raining!! other than that only been to an 1/8th airport event.

the time i ran it was before i got the slicks and before i worked over the 202, was pretty much how the motor came out of my street car, it did a best of 14.5 with that setup, i know there was alot in it cause i got about 20 mtrs of wheel spin on street tyres and also had a powerglide with stock converter it was more to get a feel for what i needed.

so now its about 14:1 comp, bigger values, more cam and trimatic with converter to suit, add to that the slicks and im hoping to see a 13 of some sort with some tuning on methanol.

the rear end is gemini diff ends mated to a borg warner commodore centre, running 31 spline full spool and moser billet axles, and i had to fabricate upper control arms for it as the gemini diff uses a torque tube off the front.

i have been told a decently built T350 can handle 500hp odd, im not planning to go spatic with the LS1, just a mild work over, head work, cam and everything to go with it, and want to keep it pump fuel or maybe E85, i figure that way it should be fun and reliable!

oh and weather permitting you might see me at WSID on wednesday 21st Dec!
    Last edited by Sam272; 12-08-2011 at 05:41 AM.

so do i actually need to licence the PCM to change the VIN ?

i'm thinking if i change the VIN to that of the car the motor came out of then it should get all the right info in there ?

i guess what i'm hoping i can do is licence it as it is, change the vin and then only need to use more credits to apply the enhanced OS (mafless) ?

ok i've been able to licence the PCM with the help of support for a new version of the beta software, but now when i try to change the vin to the aussie vin that the motor came out of i get an error "unable to locate vcm, verify cable is connected and key is in run position"

so i have the pcm on the bench with no bcm or anything else connected to it, is the lack of bcm etc causing my issue or am i doing something wrong ?

i can use vcm scanner and logging works fine and doing a read entire works so i know the pcm is powered on properly ....

what am i missing ?