Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gm 3800 tuning help

Tuner in Training

gm 3800 tuning help

I'm new to tuning but not to cars I have spent a lot of time doing research on what to tune why to tune it and how it will help ur performance.

Well I have already changed the main things u read about speedo fans abuse tables I was just wondering if anyone has some input on where to go next as in a ve tune or skip that and go to maf tuning? And after maf tuning u adjust the timing tables?

At work now I will be posting my scans later today as a base line so maybe when there up somebody could give me a crash course on tuning

Do you have a wideband? Thats gonna be the deciding factor for "Whats Next"

Without a wideband you pretty much in the dark as far as anything fuel and air goes.

Advanced Tuner
    What Kind of car does your 3.8 move?
    PM me and I can email you a How to made just for our 3.8

Yes a Wideband is the best for tuning with WOT but, for the everyday drive, it's not totally necessary.
    The Regal has been laid to rest..... rust
    Now have an 06 Lucerne with the 3.8 and wishing HPT would cover that car
    Loved my 2001 Buick Regal GS.
    With more than 334,000K, 3.4 & 3.6 pulley, Change stats and pulleys with the seasons, Upgraded grounds & power wire, Volt booster, Caspers timing commander(AKA happy knob), Spectra intake-fender wall, PLog, 3" DP & 2.5 exhaust, HPTunner 12" Impala duel piston front brakes, New trans,GMPP suspension... yada, yada...

Care to PM me this 3800 Guide as well. I'm looking to buy a tuner with my Christmas Money for my 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and I do already have a wideband installed.

Tuner in Training
    What are the mods on the car? Supercharged or N/A?
    2002 GTP 11.90@114 - A few mods
    2003 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, Allison 5 spd - 285's, K&N intake (the toy hauler)

Tuner in Training
    It is a 99 Buick regal Gs with a l32 3.8 out of a 06 comp g I have headers Cai ls1 Tb lq4 maf it has the gen v sc I have pulleys to drop but want to try and get a base for tuning first

Tuner in Training
    Here's a question. Have you modified the pcm at all after these engine changes? With a maf change I've always put in generic perameters for the lq4 maf, then tuned from there. Not sure if HPT has these values available, but for DHP I've always done it that way (probably shouldn't talk that way but oh well lol). I've always left my VE tables stock and changed PE enable as well as commanded PE AFR. I also input the 2005 GTP good fuel spark tables for better part/mid throttle. Increase your KR Recovery rate. Torque management reduction... ect. Post your file off your car that you plan to modify

Tuner in Training
    the onlychanges ihave made were putting in the lq4 maf data and modifing speed limiters fans torque abuse etc here is my file as well

Tuner in Training
    I'll take a look at it when I get home from work, and compare it to some bins I have

I am going to beating a dead horse with a stick here, but with that much time and money in this already, you should really invest in a good wideband.

Tuner in Training
    i will take note that i need a wideband o2 gauge and im looking into getting one i know its needed i will prolly end up with one next week. any recomendations

I have personally use both PLX and Innovative brands and loved both, for the money you cant go wrong with the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. That's what I use with HPTuners, and I know tons of other guys who use them with the 3800's

Tuner in Training
    thank you for ur input i will see what is easiest

Tuner in Training
    My opinion is you really don't NEED a wideband at your mod stage now... Your on a stock cam, with a stock pulley. I'm not saying you don't need a wide band, but i guess i've been into 3800's long enough to beable to tune them successfully without a wideband.

I've used the innovate and I did not like it. The extra wiring required to calibrate the sensor turned me off. I use the PLX wideband, and love it. It's self calibrating, and I've had this unit in my car for 3 years and has not missed one single beat. Always spot on.

Tuner in Training
    well i know i have seen crazier 3800s and i plan on mine being pretty insane one day i eventually want to end up with new heads cam intercooler and supporting pulleys and parts. i dont have a lot of tuning experience and i figure that my lil beast would be a good learner for now but back on track. anyone have some basic 3800 tuning tips tricks for where im at i have a 3.6 pulley and a 3.5 but the stock pulley is on till i can figure out what im doing

Tuner in Training
    What kind of cam are you planning? I assume your sticking with the blower for the duration of the modding and not going turbo? If your planning on building big I guess I would spring for the wideband. I'm with you about HP Tuners being new to me. It seems like people that use this software tune completely different than DHP users.

Whats your HP and 1/4 mile goals for the car?

Tuner in Training
    Well with all I have read I was thinking bout intense stage 3 cam or zzp xpz. I think over all I'm planning on swapping the powertrain out a ways down the road and putting it in a Buick reatta with a five speed. I'd say myo goals for the regal would be low twelves high elevens. And yea I plan on staying with the blower I don't really want all the extra work
    Last edited by collinsrdtech; 12-06-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey gtp2k2 did u get a chance to look at my file

Tuner
    personally since my friend and i have the same wideband is the AEM UEGO self calibrating just plug and play

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AVM-30-4100/

Tuner in Training
    bah I worked late last night and didn't have a chance, sorry. For your goal you can save money and keep your stock heads and get an xp cam or an s1x cam. Do you have E85 in your area?