Thread: Need Basic Trans Tune for 03 4x4 s10 with lift

Tuner in Training

Need Basic Trans Tune for 03 4x4 s10 with lift

I have a 03 crew cab s10 with the 4.3L v6 and 4L60e. The engine is mostly stock, all I have done is a drop in K&N filter, and shaved the throttle blade. The truck has a small lift and bigger tires. I have been driving it for a while without correcting the speedo.

I figured out how to change the speedo for the bigger gears but I would also like to firm things up a bit to help it handle the bigger tires easier. I don't want it to be neck breaking or anything crazy just firmer shifts and to keep the converter locked more on the freeway(right now at 60-70 it tends to lock/unlock often) at 75+ it stays locked in and gets much better milage.

Thanks for any help.
    Kevin

Daily Driver: 03 Chevy Crew Cab S10, Zr5 (4.3/4L60e)

Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup (Vortec 454/4L80e) It likes gas, lots and lots of gas.
    Toy 1: 87 Camaro Iroc Z28, (soon to be TPI w vortec 0411 pcm/ T56).
    Toy 2: 98 BMW R1100R

Loud Pipes make people smile!

Tuner
    In the TCC engagement disengagement table, spread out your lock unlock speeds this will keep in engaged longer with more pedal travel before it unlocks. Example - if it engages and 33 and disengages as 31 change the 31 to say 29 or more. This will save your TC, especially if you didn't already kill it.

Transmission shift tables, just bump up the pressures and lower the shift times slightly.
    98 Buick GSX IS3 Heads/GenVblower/cammed/intercooled and stalled
    02 Collector Edition Trans Am WS6
    94 S-10 with Rancho 3" lift on 33's
    93 Typhoon
    07 Tahoe

Changes

Did you disable the EGR or was it like that. That will affect allot of stuff including milleage (worse) if you disabled it. You didnt mention if you had a wideband, do you?

You should always include a log, it tells allot. Make sure you log the neccessary PID's, not just what HPTuners put in. Search PID for logging for info. Or you can use mine attached. Mine is not for WOT tuning, just regular stuff - as it has allot of PID's You can include a WOT bit in the log if you like, but I dont suggest changing anything WOT wise without a wideband. Do a decent length log, so we can look for knock, rich/lean, etc. You will most likely find the VE table is excessively rich, especially in the midrange RPM's.

Your commanding 12.2 A/F at WOT, you may see a gain at 12.5 instead. Set the PE for 1.175 and try that. Watch for knock in the higher RPM's, I doubt you have any at only 18 degrees of timing, so there is gain to be had there. If you run 93 octain, add timing until you get to 25 degrees or hit knock. When you maximize the high octain, copy that over to the low octain table and subtract 4 degrees to the entire low octain table. Also while tuning, make sure the high and low octain tables are the same, as the computer reverts to low octain, when you fail the MAF and are tuning VE.

Read an article on transmission tuning. Your WOT shifts should match your part throttle speeds in the 100% throttle collumn. Yours doesn't match in all the gears. Change your shift times to .150 low & mid ft lbs, and .125 or .100 in hgher cells. Change TCC lock duty cycle % to 100% across the board in the max table. I like to fade from 30-50 in the min table. Dont set your lock/unlock speed so close. I prefer min 4mph to avoid lock/unlocking so much.

Spend allot of time tuning the VE, the drive-ability will be well worth it.

Im sure others will chime in with more info, I gotta scoot for now, G/L

Cya,

Walter
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

Senior Tuner
    Measure those tires and change it in your speedo tab. Don't just go by "advertised" height, actually measure them. Chalk mark on tire and marks on ground is the best way to go. Let the program do the rest for you as far as calcs go. Easy fix so you wont have to go changing a bunch of speed tables later, do it now and then follow advise there by Bandit and Beat...
    2000 Trans Am WS6