Thread: 4l60e/4l80e swap question

4l60e/4l80e swap question

Newbie here, just trying to find out some information before I start the swap. I have no tuning experience so please have some patience.

First, the vitals: I'm putting a junkyard 4l80e from a 1998 Chevy 3500 into a 1993 GMC S15 Jimmy 4.3 CPI [Vortec], a few months after the 4l60e burned out on me. The second time I've had a 4l60 burn out on me [to be specific, the problem they both have is getting into 3rd gear] and to make it worse I had only driven it for a week.

Some minor details: I've taken the floor shifter and overhead console from a second gen S10 blazer [also from a junkyard] and intend to use them in the Jimmy. I also have the 3500's computer that I took the 4l80e from.

Now, the question. How do I tune the Jimmy's computer to make the switch from controlling a 4l60e to a 4l80e? I first considered paying someone to do it [namely wait4me performance, but they haven't responded to my email and I'm on a bit of a tight schedule]. I'm looking first to just do the basic switch, no mods for anything other than the bare bones swap. I'll want to know how to make it more fuel efficient/higher torque/hp later after I get it running right.
    Last edited by Nove Fidelis Incendia; 08-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Needing to do the same. I know it can be done w an v8 ls, but cant find anthing for the 4.3l.