Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4L80E Wont shift

4L80E Wont shift

This is and LT1 engine running a LS1 computer, but I drove the car before the conversion with the TCI box (shifted fine). I swaped TQ converters and controllers and when I took it down the road today for the first time in a long time it doesn't shift.

Could it possibly be in my tune. I also want to add manually putting it into first to second does not shift either.

ANYONE care to take a look, I can get additional data.
    Last edited by Ben Charles; 12-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Ok I input my trans config and found this, stays in second gear regardless of what gear I put it into.
    Attached Files Attached Files

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    Try turning on all of the DTCs needed for a 4L80E. Maybe then the PCM can hint where the problem lies.

Slow you happen to know which ones?
    I put my car on my lift tonight, If this doesn't work I guess I will check for 12v power on the main trans connector plug

14 Gen 5 Viper

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the same problem, except mine seems to be stuck in 3rd. It only works when the shifter is in OD. If I pull it down to 1,2, or 3 it locks up. I blamed it on my wiring at first, but I believe its my transmission. Regardless if the wiring is right or wrong, it should go into the right gear if its pulled down to it. Am I right?

Your problem is different from mine, even in OD mode mine stays in 2nd. I might say your is a solenoid problem.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Potential Tuner
    Maybe. I pulled the transmission today to swap another one in. Where in Arkansas are you?

Advanced Tuner
    Just download a stock 4l80e file and use the compare feature.

Your tune is using authentic 4L80 segments (Cal - 9358280 & Dia - 16264369) for a 2002 truck (OS 12212156). Looks like you upgraded OS 12212156 to OS 1251002 (2 Bar Map - Speed Density).

Did the transmission shift using PCM control prior to upgrading the OS (or did you check this) ?

If you are using a wiring harness originally designed for a 4L60 - did you repin the PCM connectors (and add ISS inputs) for use with the 4L80, and did you also repin the transmission connector ?

Doubtful the problem is mechanical - as the transmission was working with the previous stand alone controller (TCI box).

When I upgraded to the LS1 ECU I went directly to the 2 bar so I never tried before the custom OS. The LS1 ECU conversion is by EFI connection and I bought a custom harness for them as well and they set it up for a 4L80E.

However at that time I mentioned I would probably still use the TCI box since the car has a twistmachine paddle shifter, so they set up a yellow wire from the ECU saying secondary VSS. I never hooked this up and just used their harness and ditched the TCI box. The TCI box BTW came with its own harness.

Going to use the VCM controls today and see if I can turn on the 2 shift solenoids in the trans, If I can't then there is my problem I suppose. I agree I believe it electrical and not mechanical since it worked find prior.

14 Gen 5 Viper

I live in Paragould, about 30min from Jonesboro.

Ok I looked at a stock file and nothing dramatically different IMO to cause this issue.

Just to see I took the trans plug and plugged it in upside down (thinking it may have been installed wrong) ran the scanner and still just stays in 2nd. For reference the arrow is on the top of the plug, not bottom.

I put my volt meter on the pink wire (main plug connector) with key on and it showed 10.8 volts. That seems find since on a running car it would show the normal 12v.

What next?
    Thanks for helping guys, trying to finish the car by the 1st

14 Gen 5 Viper

The transmission connector female plug should only fully seat if oriented properly. If you unplug it, and look at the end of the plug - with the arrow at the 12 o'clock position, look at the 3 o'clock position - you should see a small "square" on the circle - this ridge should mate to a slot in the transmission case male connector.

To install or release the plug - "pinch" it with your thumb and index finger, at the 12 o'clock (arrow) and 6 o'clock position - this will cause the plug to become circular - when you release, it will return to an oval shape - that's what holds it in position.

You may not be fully seating the plug.

Shrek I will go check, when I unplug it I have been pinching the 3 and 9 oclock positions. I feel that it was seated but I may not have pushed it on far enough (I'll double check)

14 Gen 5 Viper

Potential Tuner
    Well, I live in Blytheville. When I get mine lined out we'll have to meet up. I swapped another trans in mine today and it fixed my problems. Good luck with yours.

For Sure, PS I was born there on the Airforce base back in the day lol. Small world.

Bout to go check my trans again and the main harness plug seated on the trans connector.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Harness plug fully seated, started trans config and still only 2nd gear. Going to turn on the solenoids next (VCM controls) with someone under the car listening for them to kick on.

14 Gen 5 Viper

OK .. given the transmission worked with the TCI box, and the plug is confirmed seated, there may be an issue with the harness itself.

Do you have the schematics / pinouts for the transmission harness plug - to confirm the continuity of each circuit ?

I plan to call EFI connections tomarrow, they built the harness and see what they have to say? Wiring looks factory from the stock style 4L80E schematics ive seen.
    This has to be an electrical issue

Just wondering when I Click on DTC's nothing shows up but MAF codes (I'm SD)

14 Gen 5 Viper

EFI Connection does excellent work - they are always very helpful.

Attached are some schematics that should help out with confirming the continuity of the transmission wiring.

Yea I love this conversion. I really dont see anything wrong with the harness.

Any way to check the VSS (output and input) without buying new speed sensors?

Hope to have more info tomarrow, thanks again Shrek

14 Gen 5 Viper