Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4L80E Wont shift

Advanced Tuner
    Sure you can check them by driving the car. If your speedo works, the rear one is ok. If you have them switched, the speedo should move with engine rpm instead. You can also log Input Shaft RPM with the scanner.

Well I know the speedo works when I took it for a drive the other day, about to call EFI connection for advice.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

I talked to Mike and he helped me on some things to check, but something he mentioned is on the early 94-95 4L60E's you have to swap a few electrical parts to make it work with the newer Ls1 ECU's so I am waiting to hear from my trans builder to see if the 4L80E is the same way. If it is I just need to swap a few electrical parts to make it work.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Ok apparently 93-present are all the same internal wise, so it shouldn't have any problems working with the 02 ECU. Something I found is that my old tuner set all my DTC's for the trans are unchecked and are 3-No Error reported. I made all these stock again and hopefully now I will get a DTC.
    Unfortunately It wont be till tomarrow (family stuff)

Stay Tuned.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Ok made all the DTC's like the factory and still nothing reported when scanning. Next thing for me to do is pull the pan and look at the internal harness I suppose. Any other thoughts?

14 Gen 5 Viper

Did you confirm you have power (12 volts ignition fused) at the transmission plug ?

I would recommend confirming the continuity of the wiring between the transmission plug and the respective pins of the PCM connectors, and that each circuit is pinned to the appropriate location - easy to be off by one at the PCM connectors.

Shrek are you referrring to the plug from the ECU or the plug from the Trans? I checked the pink wire (E) at the ECU harness and it has 10.8 volts.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Yes sir .. pin E of the transmission plug - you have power - thats good. I would check the continuity (I use a volt meter with an audible tone) of the remaining transmission plug wires (pins A through S), and confirm these terminate at the correct PCM pin location - i.e transmission plug pin A connects to PCM C2 (red) pin 48 ... and so on.

Shrek I will check that, but I just checked voltage of the internal harness, all soleniods are getting correct voltage, however the Force motor is only getting 3.5 volts? Buddy has a tool to check to see if the solenoids are good or not, doing that later.

I figure since EFI connections did the harness its right, but I will varify it.

14 Gen 5 Viper

EFI Connection does excellent quality work. Eliminating possible variables is simply good diagnostic technique - once the harness checks out - then you can confidently move on to other possible causes.

Ok my mechanic friend came over, All the solenoids are working. He mentioned its not electrical. I thought about checking the wires at the ECU like you said Shrek, but he mentioned since there getting power they must be in the correct spot at the ECU.

We looked at the scanner and the OUTput and INput trans revolutions are showing trans revolutions so the speed sensors are working as well.

He thinks it may be something inside the valvebody like something could have been knocked Loose?

Any opinions now?

14 Gen 5 Viper

I don't have access to it, but it "appears" I have an 4L80E OS, but I wonder if there is a possibility some 4L60E stuff is still in the file???

I emailed support but I wont hear anything from them till the first of the year.

Anyone have access to look at this info, further than I do??

14 Gen 5 Viper

I believe the above is the problem, I unplugged the main transmission plug and both VSS and hp tuners still showed NO DTC's Detected. It should have showed something?

14 Gen 5 Viper

Re-checked your tune - 4L80 segments - not 4L60. As far as DTCs not being set - most of the transmission DTCs in your tune are set to "3 - No Error Reported".

Perhaps enable the transmission related DTCs (P0500, P0608, P0700 to P0724, P0740 to P0757, and P1504) and try again.

I had all of those like they would be from the factory, but I just switched them to Mil on first error and check marked them. I'll let you know

14 Gen 5 Viper

Did the transmission shift using PCM control prior to upgrading the OS (or did you check this) ?
    Decided to perform a write entire and go back to the original 4L80E file before the Custom 2 bar OS and still stays in 2nd gear

14 Gen 5 Viper

Still trying to figure this out (my shop has been occupied so car is waiting till Saturday) I talked to Jakes performance and I ordered 2 new Shift solenoids from GM. Going to install these and see what happens. Stay tune

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner

4l80e

here is my 4l80e tune with the proper DTCs and some wiring diagrams for you that worked for me.make sure the pins are in the proper position connector to PCM I used my ohm meter and rang out every wire to make sure they were all exact.
    2000 Firebird,2002 O.S.,LQ4 370,Borg Warner S475,truck mani.,Eagle crank,Callies Compstar Rods,Wiseco-11 4.030 pistons 9.4:1 comp.,LS3CNC heads,LS3 intake,NW92mm throttle body,ID1000 injectors,BTR trunion upgrade,LJMS STG3 cam,LS7 Lifters,ARP Studs-bolts,Frozen Boost A to W intercooler,JGS 60MM BOV,2 40mmJGS Wastegates,4L80E trans wth segment swap,CircleD 3400 single disk,MOSER 12 3.31gears ,BMR K-Mem.,2 Walboro 450 pumps,Returnstyle fuelsystem MAGNAFUEL regulator.
    LS1Tech sig KRAZY K 2000 TA

Throttle thanks for your info, I installed two new shift solenoids and I can hear them clicking now, but still only second gear. I can however change the gear with the VCM controls again hearing the solenoids clicking. I can change the gears using the VCM controls, but why does it not work without the VCM controls (manualling shifting)

Im going to look at your tune, maybe something I can find??
    Last edited by Ben Charles; 01-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.

14 Gen 5 Viper

I noticed you have your Performance option at one switch where mine is class 2? Also my steady state adapt is enabled and yours is disabled (don't even now what this is?)

14 Gen 5 Viper