Thread: Legal usage of HP tuner's software

Legal usage of HP tuner's software

Howdy,

I am on the fence at the moment about using Ls1edit of HP tuner's software. One of the questions I have. I'd like for someone I know (who has ls1edit) to be able to look at some files for us. So, what I'd like to do is send them a copy of HP tuners to load.

Without the cable, can they use the software?

The intent is not for them to flash cars, but to look over the changes we are making. Obviously it would be easier to do it with ls1edit and send files back and forth, but I just want to see if the software can be used in a standalone mode to look at and edit files.

Thanks.

Re: Legal usage of HP tuner's software

well according to this thread they can read our files... but you can't read an LS1edit file with VCM Editor.

it does violate our EULA to distribute the software in the manner you propose.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner

This is why a "crippleware" viewer would be so swell
    (as has been brought up before).

Well, I don't want to violate the EULA, I just simply wanted someone who already has edit to look over the tunes before we do them. So, I had planned to see if it was legal for them to load the software. My assumption was that without the right cable, its useless.

Is my understanding correct, that the software is locked to a certain cable (like ls1edit).

Again, my intention isn't to get something for nothing here, or pirate out your software. I simply have access to some folks who are a lot better at tuning than me. So, if Ican send them a file to look over, that helps me out. For them to look over the file would at least require the software to be loaded on a machine there.

I can just buy ls1edit and send stuff back and forth with no issues, but I was looking at going with HPTuners instead, as y'all have had pretty good press from folks since you released your software.

Or, as an addition to your software, you migfht consider a file import/export feature to read and save in ls1edit format.

If they have LS1edit, they can load the .bin files you save with our program directly. We cannot convert our files to LS1edit format (or load LS1edit files) because it is a proprietary encrypted format.

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

Chris, If I were you I would never allow what he is asking.
    Some cheap b****** could easily locate the additional tables you added, hex edit them, then read and download using an inferior program such as LS1 EDIT. LS1 Edit is DEAD. Don't you guys get it? You spend 10 of thousands of dollars of useless other items. Now buy the right software.

Just my opinion.

Tuner in Training

Its not like you can do changes to the ls1edit program...

if the ls1edit people would want to do that i bet they did by now...

I dont see the harm in it... as a matter of fact it will bring more costumers to hptuners.

Potential Tuner

i've got to believe if you take any approach near what ls1edit has you would alienate the customer base. i think what he wants to do is a legit request.

sorry, we just don't have any plans for this at the moment and not in the foreseeable future.

i think unencrypted binaries, non-VIN locked single user prog with auto recovery, full s/w environment control for tuner version and an inbuilt scan tool is a few steps ahead of the competition as it is. (we aren't stopping there, there is more good stuff to come

I count sheep in hex...