Thread: car leaning out at WOT please help

Tuner in Training

car leaning out at WOT please help

i installed a bap and a zr1 map on my 2011 vortech supercharged camaro ss im trying to get the afr where it needs to be its running about 14.3 give or take, at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle as soon as i push the peedle the rest of the way down it drops instantly to about 10.1,10.3 afr so i let off of it and ive been messing with it all day and the last tune i put in is better but now my ltft is way to high i useally have my tuner take care of this but im wanting to figure this out myself i know its a simple fix i just need to be pointed in the right direction

thanks for the help people and also what should the afr be on a supercharged ls3 motor 14.7??

Roughly 11.5 in boost. Leaner during low boost.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

11.5 is fine to start. 11.8 is what I'd shoot for once its all dialed in, and there is zero knock, etc.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

From my experience, the LS3 is happier on the rich side with more timing.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Roughly 11.5 in boost. Leaner during low boost.
    so roughly 11.5 at WOT? maybe im not as for off as i think then ive got it to 11.1to11.3 now at WOT but when the rpms are real low and im in a high gear its pulling KR., at WOT at starting about 4500rpms its pulling about 4to5 kr. it does good at about 2000rpm up to about 4500rpms and the car has twice the power from a dead stop but i can be stopped and rev up just a little and it will pull 1to2 kr not over 2 just from a rev any ideas? does it need less air or more fuel where its throwing kr? thanks once again!!

Sounds like burst knock.

Tuner in Training
    witch is?

burst knock isnt real knock. its a pre-set amount of timing the computer pulls to avoid knocking. its thier way to have a safety net under heavy load/acceleration, yet still being able to run the normal amount of timing in that area when up to speed.

If you want to see if its burst kr, just disable it, if it goes away, then you know.

If you do disable it, dont forget to set it back. If you leave it off entirely then you may have to do some major logging to dial back any real knock during real world driving, and accelerating, etc.

Tuner in Training
    if it is burst knock what do i need to do, pull a little timing, add fuel, add or subtract air where its showing the knock? would it help if i posted a scan that i took last night? its starting at around 4700rpms to red line and its going up to 6KR. but i cant hear anything thing, i also seen a post somewhere last night that burst knock want show up on the KR with hp tuners i take it that thats not true? thanks
    Last edited by casper sc/ss/rs; 01-03-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Always post a scan and tune - Always. If it is burst knock, either choose to leave it alone, or disable it and adjust your timing accordingly. You need to find if its real knock first, as you most likely wont hear any knock aduibly until its over 4-5 degrees of knock. (unless on a dyno) If its starting around 4700 that is around peak torque where its most susceptable to real knock. Allot of people put a dip in the timing there by a degree or two in that RPM range 4600-4800, others argue vehemently against it. I run 1 degree less only at 4800 column. In my tune I do not run burst knock, but I am OL SD and have everything dialed in 100%. Its up to you, read up on a camaro forum and find out what others do with your combo. Differant vehicles like differant things. Yours is lighter than a truck that may need burst knock. Or just try it and monitor your logs closely. When you do log, make sure you drive up some hills and accellerate briskly to try and induce knock (dont stab gas) just gradualy press harder without downshifting. Load the engine right after shifts, make 100% sure your not getting any real knock. Hope that helps. I prefer street tuning as you get real world results. Dyno tuning is great for peak hp, but tuning for drive-ability will be more enjoyable in the long run. So see what you like, and what the car likes. It takes allot of logging and changes to get it perfect, only a couple to get it just okay. Example: a canned tune might get you 20hp, a perfect tune you do yourself over a long period of time may get 30-40 depending on combo and mods.
    Last edited by gn2beatu; 01-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    thanks I will post my tune and scan this evening i dont have time right now thanks again for the help!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by casper sc/ss/rs View Post
    thanks I will post my tune and scan this evening i dont have time right now thanks again for the help!!

Tuner in Training
    any ideas?

Tuner in Training
    figured it out