Thread: tune recomendations 03 duramax

Tuner in Training

tune recomendations 03 duramax

finally have my 03 duramax ready for tuning, have a 4 inch straight through exhaust, K&N intake, and EGT guage, 167kms on the truck, looking for the max that the stock allison will handle, I dont tow and dont use the truck alot.

I am very familliar with gas tuning but diesel is fairly new to me, ive read up and have done some minor tuning with good results, looking for recomendations for a 100-120hp tune,

at this power level is it a good idea to get a boost fooler so I can go above the hardcoded boost?

add fuel at higher TPS settings, use 50/50 timing calc, and you will need a boost controller to add boost on an LB7.
    2006 LBZ Duramax
    5" Magnaflow turbo-back
    EGR blocked
    HP Tuned by yours truly

Senior Tuner
    Read the computer with high speed mode disabled...and flash it with high speed mode disabled as well. The computers in the older Dmax trucks are finicky with HPTuners...I've been fighting with one for a friend for forever.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replys

Ive got a good tune going somewhere in the 80HP range, fuel changes, used the timing calculator, etc

I have the shift kit on order and I lift on the 4-5 shift,

id like to take the tune to at least 100HP preferably 120HP if possible, I'll order the boost fooler if needed at this level,

Advanced Tuner
    I found a very cool DMax tutorial for another software on youtube. The video was informative regardless of which software you use because it is teaching you the basics and showing you how to understand the programming for it.

Most of the changes they make are good starting points and you can practically follow the videa verbatim in HPTuners, though the layout is different for HPTuners.

I don't want to post any links since it is 3rd party software on the video.

Tuner in Training
    got some great results so far, just installed the PPE boost increase valve, does anyone have some advice on adjusting the boost tables for this mod? or will the boost only be higher then stock at WOT or close too it? of course some added fuel to go with the boost

anyone have trouble logging fuel? my fuel will always top out at 79.7 Mm3 or something like that. even though I know its adding way more fuel

Tuner in Training
    If it's topping out at 79.7 try adjusting Engine-Torque Management-Engine- Base Torque vs. Fuel Qty vs. Rpm

Make sure your 100 Total Fuel column is set up for your max and then copy and past to 110 and 120 columns

Then also check your Engine-Fuel-Diesel-Base Qty vs. TPS

Make sure your 100% column is set up the way you want through the entire RPM range the factory graph decreases as you get up into the higher RPM's

Hope this helps
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 6.6L Duramax LBZ
    HPTuners, Transgo Jr., RDS EGR Delete Tube EGR and cooler removed with blocker plate at up pipe, PCV Reroute Kit
    Isspro A-pillar Boost and Pyro Gauges

2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
    HPTuners, Transgo Shift Kit, Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband

2001 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L
    HPTuners