Thread: what changes are needed to run a different MAF?

what changes are needed to run a different MAF?

Here is the situation I have, a vehicle came to me with a 5.3L in it. It has a 1998 Firebird PCM and harness

a tuner that I can't find tuned it to where it should run the 5.3L with no problem. There was some confusion as to what MAF would be used on the engine. I think the tuner might have tuned it for a 5.3 MAF, but then after everything was said and done a 1998 Firebird MAF was used and not a 5.3 MAF

what all would be changed in the tune to accommodate a 5.3 MAF instead of a Firebird MAF?

the problem that it is doing right now is that when you give it a little gas (above idle rpm) and hold it constant the engine acts a little weird, like revs high/low on and off by a few hundred rpms. You can see this in the STFT's in the scan I am attaching. I will also attach the .hpt file for it. I used the default imperial .cfg to scan it

Any GM MAF can be used, just need to tune the MAF sensor, either use the Fuel trims or WB.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Any GM MAF can be used, just need to tune the MAF sensor, either use the Fuel trims or WB.
    Damn, still a beginner, haven't messed with any of this. I guess just run a search "how to tune MAF sensor" ?

It will help, just read a lot. Look in the help files, but basically you use the scanner and historgrams to give you data, then you copy and paste the info in your tune.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

If I were you, I would start with a stock 5.3L calibration that you can get from the tune repository and then copy in the stock MAF curve from a 98 F-body since you are using the 3 wire MAF sensor. That should get you in the ballpark, then you can fine tune from there.