Thread: Q on frying PCM, and using with LS1Edit

Tuner

Q on frying PCM, and using with LS1Edit

Came across the website while doing research on diagnostic tools for my '99 Holden LS1. Had most of my questions answered by reading the site and forum, but just wanted to verify...

. I've read plenty of stories about users and tuners of earlier versions of LS1Edit 'frying their PCMs'. While some shops recover them from a fee, it wasn't uncommon to read about people having a second PCM laying around as a backup. I noted in the features list for this software : "Automated VCM/PCM recovery protection." What's that actual involve, and what level of risk is there with uploading calibration changes with this software?

. My favoured tuning workshop uses LS1Edit - and the car has had many tweaks and updates in the last year with each new mod. I will continue to use them as the primary tuner. My idea was to data log for a couple niggly issues that the usual verbal explanations and 10 minute road/dyno efilive sessions were not polishing off as well as I would like. (For example, where my aftermarket torque converter locks up and releases.) Your software actually gives me the chance to spend time on fine tuning these areas to suit. Can the workshop simply load my latest VCM Suite 'tweaked' tuned from the PCM into LS1Edit next time I use them for major work? (And can I download their latest tune when I get home?) Or will I be better off keeping a track of changes I make using VCM suite, and get them to replicate it in LS1Edit?

Hope that makes sense,

Cheers

Doug

Re: Q on frying PCM, and using with LS1Edit

There is no risk in uploading calibration changes using our software. The "fried" PCM is a myth. The issue is that the calibration has checksum errors or is totally blank depending on the type off error that was encountered during the write process (ie. loss of comms or noisy data line etc...). Our software is flexible enough to allow you to recover from this situation. (Note: ENtire VCM Rewrite feature in VCM Suite Pro is the only exception to this. If you interrupt comms during critical Operating System section writing and power off your VCM you will toast it. Then you have to desolder the chip.). Buta again for normal calibration writes there is no danger.

Sure your local tuner can still download your tune after you have played with things using VCM Suite. Just be sure to ask if they have "locked" the PCM, depending on the method used you may not be able to access the PCM.

We save our binary images unencrypted so your tuner cannot simply load that into LS1Edit.

HTH,

Chris... (aka gameover)
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Thanks Chris - knowing the normal uploads are safe is good to hear.

Thanks for the tip regards the PCM being locked, I'll check with my tuner. I assume your last statement meant you can not copy binary images directly between LS1Edit and VCM Suite (I wouldn't have expected that). To do so you need to upload to the PCM with one tool, download with the other.

Thanks for the prompt response - reflects well on the people and support behind the software.

(You wouldn't happen to be a Monaro owner and regular on the Oz LS1 Forum?)

Cheers, Doug

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Elmis

You wouldn't happen to be a Monaro owner and regular on the Oz LS1 Forum?
    He is. That's how i found this place. ;D

thats me.

Trying to get down to Thursday night pizza has been tough in the last 6 months due to tapping away at a keyboard most nights

I count sheep in hex...