Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MAF not dialing in

Advanced Tuner
    Im not really sure. Thats how i was told to set mine up, so i was helping out by setting someone elses up that way too. We are using a AUX input referencing PID-6001 for hi res... The standard one references sen120 and sen121 but really im not sure why. But we got his config files up and running so his tuning should be easier.

OK. Well as long as the the WB AUX PID is defined as an air fuel sensor then the built in PID knows to reference it for SEN.120 (AFR) and compare it to sens.121 (commanded AFR).
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    But whats the difference between sens 121 and a hi res commanded afr?

And now that you point that out to me, i think i will understand the histogram setup a tad better. I was having issues and now that explains alot.
    Last edited by Asylumwarp; 01-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Sens.121 is commanded afr. If you have the high res pid in the table it will use that but I see no reason for the high res. In my case I'm either commanding stoich or 11.5:1. No reason for high resolution. Low res commanded afr does the job fine and costs less bytes.
    Bill Winters

Advanced Tuner
    So pretty much the program is setup to work, its weather or not you put the stuff in the right place..

And to tune a MAF HZ without a wideband i want to use the STFT pid and leave on stft while i tune maf?

Yea a histo to plot STFT against the MAF curve would use the STFT sensor for the plot value which will average the STFT bank 1 and STFT bank 2 PIDs 2 which need to be defined in the table view.
    Bill Winters

Appears to keep getting worse. I logged 6 then used that data, relogged and came up with number 7 that looks further off than 6 did.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

and after reading what you guys just posted, now im totally lost.. lol

So should I go back to just dialing in the MAF with the stft enabled and use that and ditch the WB setup for this?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by domestic rice View Post
    and after reading what you guys just posted, now im totally lost.. lol

So should I go back to just dialing in the MAF with the stft enabled and use that and ditch the WB setup for this?
    Im with you im confused as hell im tring to dial my maf in to. The guide i looked and and printed out to tune the maf was in the stickies and shows to use the stft. i have a wideband also and the config i have has the afr error but im not sure If i have that histogram set up right because it only has a few hits in the cells for afr error. i was also data logging with the 4000 rpm in the column instaed of 0
    1993 reef blue Mustang coupe
    Ls1 conversion
    1 7/8 cooks headers
    AFR 205 heads
    Fast 92/92 intake
    PAT G./ EPS Custom cam 230/234 .600”/.602” 112LSA +2 advance
    century Built 4l60e with Circle D 3500 converter
    4.11 gears

Tried again and same results today. Can someone please tell me why when I copy and paste special by either mult% or mult % 1/2 my maf gets further off then it was before? This is getting rediculous, I am going on 10 attempts and appear to be getting no where.

Well you don't want OL STFT enabled. That negates any AFR error. You weren't doing that before so nothing was wrong with the process. Although STFTs will zero at WOT so it should not affect you when you get into PE, but dont' enable OL SFTF. Are you copying and pasting the whole thing or just parts? Don't use % - half until you start to get close. I see nothing that would indicate that it is not using the MAF. I don't particularly like the P0103 set to no MIL light. Set it to MIL on first error and make sure you're not seeing a P0103.
    Bill Winters

I saw that post above about usingthe stft to dial it in so though that might work better. I did have them off but for what ever reason it does not want to dial in. I will keep it off, set the 103 as you said and go do a few more runs. I was copying the whole thing. I tried to do both mult and 1/2 neither gets me closer.

I think you're using a user defined PID for AFR Error? Try using the built in one.

STFT is good to dial in the non-PE parts of the MAF curve. IF thats working for you then I think there may be something wrong with your AFR Error PID? Next time post the before and after tunes and logs although it's laborious.
    Bill Winters

I used that maf tune 9 from mylast post, put this OLMAF tune3 in with the changes you suggested and this is the latest log (#10). So far I have been using the same "everything config" that i just posted.

After 7,000 hz the numbers go to the double digets. They are the ones that appear to be not going down much at all. I looked at a few other peoples tunes and my maf numbers look way higher than theirs do.

Yea there are significant changes in the upper MAF range between tune 2 and tune 3...

And it's not like the WB is reading 10.0 and just cant read any richer to suggest more of a change....Are you sure you're not seeing a P0103 DTC?

Like you said the AFR error starts going wonky ~7000 Hz but I don't see a big deviation from the MAF curve there. Is the MAF in a custom tube that is maybe seeing turbulance?

As a test try cutting the MAF numbers in half from 7k on. Watch the log as it passes 7k Hz as it SHOULD go way lean. If so get off the throttle. This is just a test to make sure it's actually referencing the MAF.

You're using the built in PLX EIO PID right? How sure are you that it's configured the same as the built in PID? I ask because the narrow bands seem a lot richer than the 12's that the PLX is saying it is. Granted you cant tune WOT with the narrow bands but I'm seeing ~950 mV's which is far off from the ~890 mV's that 13:1 is said to be. Typically I'll see narrow band O2's in the mid to low 900's on a blown car at ~11:1. But then again you're commanding 10.86:1. Why so rich?
    Bill Winters

For WB tuning....comparing some of your other first file differences:

I disable DFCO

I set Open Loop EQ table to 1.0 across

I disable LTFT's

These can send you chasing your tail....especially the latter.
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

Advanced Tuner
    When was the MAF cleaned last? If it is dirty you are wasting your time.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Advanced Tuner
    Boy oh boy.. i just jumped back on. What a MESS! 6 hours on histogram setup just to switch to crappy STFT's.. I hope not. I went back and looked at your tune/log.. Heres what i found.. BTW everyone we are using a custom pid for AFR % error that we setup for his wideband. I know you can use the factory one, but at the time thats not how i was showed how to do it, and now i understand the factory PIDS BUT his is setup with a pic attached.. so if anyone is getting a unsupported pid its his AFR error and i attached a pic of how we set his up.

Pic #1, heres your MAF charted to your custom pid for error. If yours is matching this pic at the end of your latest log, your pid is working, and it IS out that much. When your above 10% or even 5%, i use Multiply by Percentage. When under 5% i use Mult by Percent - Half. Down low in your idle areas it looks ok, but when you get on it some its off, and lean. Dont worry, this is how it works.

Pic #2, This is your tune, i noticed your DFCO enable temp at -22, set this at 284, to disable this. Everything else in your tune is setup for MAF tuning. You should only be messing with the MAF curve from this point on in the tune. Set DFCO to 284, LEAVE TUNE ALONE from here out, only messing with MAF Table.

Pic #3, This is just a pic letting everyone see his custom PID we setup for his AFR error %. Please dont advise to change this, this took 6 hours to get working. Yes i know theres easier ways now. BUT this is working.
    Last edited by Asylumwarp; 01-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Made the changes suggested and will take it for a drive tomorrow. The one thing I am still wondering is why is my numbers so high. I just looked at at least 10 other tunes in the repository and my MAF A/F #s are at least 100-150 higher than EVERY tune in there. All the tunes I looked at were cars with at least a cam and some with heads and cam. Did I adjust something else too far to make these numbers too far outta wack?

Advanced Tuner
    If your that worried about it, copy your VE tables and MAF tables back to stock and start over from scratch and mess with your MAF first. Making such drastic changes to your VE Table when you were first trying may have something to do with it being way off too. Id leave the tune as is as far as our settings, but just start over on those two tables..