Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: MAF not dialing in

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah you should look at the most recent tune, and log, because his VE was screwed pretty bad at the beginning, the latest couple are by far way better then when we started. And i agree, fuel does affect knock, but it seems as if his trans is maybe triggering the knock from a harsh shift condition??

Well injectors are in, does not hit over 70% idc now! Also put on the ls6 intake with new seals. The tune appears to be close to before, just needs some tweeks now.

I put a brand new passenger O2 in there, as the driver side was only a year old. Think that driver side is actually looking bad.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

Quote Originally Posted by domestic rice View Post
    Well injectors are in, does not hit over 70% idc now! Also put on the ls6 intake with new seals. The tune appears to be close to before, just needs some tweeks now.

I put a brand new passenger O2 in there, as the driver side was only a year old. Think that driver side is actually looking bad.
    Awsome man. I know its been a long road but are you not glad that you didn't throw in the towel and pay to have all this stuff done? I know you have figured out alot.

So be ready to help me

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    VE is completely ignored when you set the high rpm dynamic airflow disable point below normal operating RPM's. This puts the calibration into MAF only mode, UNLESS you are running a custom OS. Some of the Custom OS's like this one will only work with SD. I looked at one of his logs earlier in the thread along with the tune file that went with it and even though the dynamic airflow high rpm disable was set to zero (to put the tune in MAF only mode) the log showed two completely different airflow readings. Dynamic airflow which is the filtered airflow calculation the PCM matches fuel to was reading nearly double that of the MAF readings. If the tune was truly running MAF only the dynamic airflow would be tracking the MAF more closely, not double!

If you want MAF put the stock OS back in it or put a 1bar MAF OS in it for RTT.

Some of the newer 01-up SD OS's will still work with MAF but in my experience some of the 99-00 SD OS's will completely ignore the MAF no matter the settings. My 2000 Camaro was this way... I didn't even have to fail the MAF in the eng diag tab to get SD.
    So I guess my question of the day is...... Do I need to spend more credits to do this, or can I just disable the RTT in the Editor inder the "Engine">"General"?
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

VE is completely ignored when you set the high rpm dynamic airflow disable point below normal operating RPM's. This puts the calibration into MAF only mode, UNLESS you are running a custom OS. Some of the Custom OS's like this one will only work with SD. I looked at one of his logs earlier in the thread along with the tune file that went with it and even though the dynamic airflow high rpm disable was set to zero (to put the tune in MAF only mode) the log showed two completely different airflow readings. Dynamic airflow which is the filtered airflow calculation the PCM matches fuel to was reading nearly double that of the MAF readings. If the tune was truly running MAF only the dynamic airflow would be tracking the MAF more closely, not double!

If you want MAF put the stock OS back in it or put a 1bar MAF OS in it for RTT.

Some of the newer 01-up SD OS's will still work with MAF but in my experience some of the 99-00 SD OS's will completely ignore the MAF no matter the settings. My 2000 Camaro was this way... I didn't even have to fail the MAF in the eng diag tab to get SD.

My question about this is if I was to take the 1 bar SD off and put the 1 bar MAF on there do I need to change anything else with the tune to be able to dial in the MAF or does it do it automatically for me? Like how the 1 bar SD automatically ignores the MAF.

It will take more credits to license the 1bar MAF Enhanced OS but it is basically the same thing you have only the MAF is not ignored. Also on the 99-00 OS's the secondary VE table is still there on the MAF OS. So you'll need to copy the primary VE to the secondary. RTT of the primary VE won't be possible either because when you fail the MAF it reads off of the secondary VE instead of the primary for whatever reason I don't know why.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

It will take more credits to license the 1bar MAF Enhanced OS but it is basically the same thing you have only the MAF is not ignored. Also on the 99-00 OS's the secondary VE table is still there on the MAF OS. So you'll need to copy the primary VE to the secondary. RTT of the primary VE won't be possible either because when you fail the MAF it reads off of the secondary VE instead of the primary for whatever reason I don't know why.
    I though once I spent the money on the 1bar SD i could swap to any of the others for free? This was a post by Bill

With the implimentation of 2.22 there were a few changes to how the Custom OS's are licensed because previously the licenses didn't make much sense to our customers and offered little to no future proofness so to speak.

for instance with the old system if you Licensed the 1 bar Speed Density custom os & then went to a supercharger setup 2 months later you would then need to license the 2 bar custom OS for another 2 credits which alot of our customers were upset about. Or if they licensed the 1 bar Speed Density custom OS thinking they would be able to still control fueling via maf only to realize they couldn't & then wanted the 1 bar MAF with RTT custom OS, again they would need to relicense it. So basically now what we've done is for 2 credits you get ALL the custom operating systems for that vcm id number that you licensed so if it has 1 bar SD, 2 bar SD, 3 bar SD & 1 bar maf available now you could apply any which one of them at no extra charge so you can try out which one is best for you & if you need to move up to a 2 or 3 bar at a later date you can do so without any relicensing.

You may be right on that... I'm not sure cause I bought unlimited suite for those model years so all the custom OS's are free to me now.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

All this time spent and parts changed and it was just a bad flux capacitor the whole time. Should see how nice it runs at 88 mph now!

Thanks everyone for the help, it's really running good and dialing in as it should!

Advanced Tuner
    I also want to add, for anyone wanting to now follow along this is what we have done. We have made a custom Wideband in the AUX with a voltage change. We found we had a .25 offset.

Correction, we made a wideband with a linear voltage of v / .5 + 10.25 In the aux input, but we did not reference this as the air fuel sensor because we made this!

For the AFR % Error, we made a custom PID, AFR % Error referencing in the function string as follows:

100*([AUX.20121]-[PID.6001])/[PID.6001]

Listed straight out of the help file, it says if you build your own pids or inputs/sensors, dont reference them to factory things, as it will still chart them if they are not hooked up. Thats why we stuck with building our own PID AFR % ERROR to reference the wideband.... Doing as the help file says here.. I've hit F1 alot..

We made a secondary ve table in the histograms for VE tuning made easy, we make our charts follow the AFR % ERROR PID so we know we are using our custom made user defined wideband... I hope this helps anyone that is getting conflicting readings looking at the logs we created.

From just a month ago, i think we have gotten really far, and we both are understanding this alot better with everyones help

I also wanna post, we moved to STFT makes tune wacked for latest post, and problems.

There isn't any issues with referencing the AUX inputs to Lambda or AFR as long as it is the only source of that type sensor you are logging in the table display. There is no factory AFR or Lambda sensor so you referencing the AUX will not cause it to read funny or show the wrong error%. But the way you have done it will also work.
    ShorTuning