Thread: Newb looking for some direction!

Potential Tuner

Need some help from the pros please.

I have a new setup that I am trying to get running right

motor:
    ls2/l92
    223/231 .610/.617 113LSA +4
    ls3 intake
    4 inch intake
    1 3/4 headers, full exhaust
    60 lb injectors
    return style fuel setup with vacuum line to intake manifoldK
    with a t56 transmission and ls1 pcm (gto)

I just got it to idle HALFWAY decent but i feel like it could be much better if the timing wasn't jumping all over the place. (IAC ~50 at 230 degrees with fans turned off)

I followed the ls1 tuning guide instructions and have the car in open loop. I haven't adjusted the fuel yet so that too may be an issue.

I don't know what the ethanol content is exactly so I set stoich to 14.4

I'm planning of tuning the VE table first then the maf.

I'm not sure which order to attack this thing from first.
    Idle AFR
    Idle timing
    RAF

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a copy of my tune,the config i'm using, and an idle log. I'm new to tuning so if you see I've made a bonehead mistake somewhere please feel free to point it out
    Last edited by ProjectD; 01-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Well I'm going to go ahead and tune the ve to get the idle afr dialed in first.

Does anyone see a problem with me setting a flat timing advance in all of the idle area cells?

I'll start with the idle afr and get back to you guys.

Advanced Tuner
    I can't see the tune on this pc but make sure you have the correct injector data in place and setup for the vac regulator you are using before you tune anything. Then since it some what idles. Tune the VE/MAF, timing and then finish up the idle.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    I can't see the tune on this pc but make sure you have the correct injector data in place and setup for the vac regulator you are using before you tune anything. Then since it some what idles. Tune the VE/MAF, timing and then finish up the idle.
    +1... Correct injector data is the most important thing when beginning.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ht=idle+tuning

That is an idle tuning guide that was based off of someones Silverado SS post. It worked great for me when tuning my 231/239 cam. Also one thing that I learned when idle tuning, is that the base running airflow is the backbone of a good idle. It really manipulates idle characteristics.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tips

I got my injector data from the the Banish DVDs so I should be good there. Flatlined the IFR table for my vac referenced regulator.

oakley: I've looked over those instructions you posted and I'll see how it works out. I'll go ahead and run the Russ K idle config and once I load that new data into the RAF table I'll go back and adjust the ve table for correct idle AFR.

Sounds good. I would run the Russ K config after any idle changes you make. It sounds excessive but the RAF is important. Good luck