Thread: Ability to Tune Trans Temp For Torque Convertor Lock-up

Ability to Tune Trans Temp For Torque Convertor Lock-up

Up here in my area of the world where it gets quite cool (it was -18 deg C yesterday morning), it can take a considerable amount of time before the trans. gets to the temp required for torque convertor lock-up (took 10 mins of city driving yesterday!). Would be fantastic to not have to wait for that magical temp (22 deg. C in my Sierra apparently) to come along before being able to enjoy the work I put into getting the shifts & convertor lock-up's just right. Its a small thing, but an annoyance I'd like to be rid of in any case!

You can add me to that list too.

But in all reality, there is probably a reason its done that way. Maybe a transmission guru could chime in with thy why.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

I'd imagine it is to heat up the trans faster. When I worked for Chrysler, I was dealing with S0 pilot trucks for the new 6.7 diesel that had an A6. I asked my trans engineer why it wouldn't shift into fifth until the trans was warm and the TCC wouldn't lock, and she told me it was to warm the fluid faster.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    yeah but with the higher stall it really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I'd imagine it is to heat up the trans faster. When I worked for Chrysler, I was dealing with S0 pilot trucks for the new 6.7 diesel that had an A6. I asked my trans engineer why it wouldn't shift into fifth until the trans was warm and the TCC wouldn't lock, and she told me it was to warm the fluid faster.
    That may be the case with Chrysler automatics and their immaculate history of reliability, but the major reasons that GM does it is for speedier cabin heating and NVH. It can be tuned out safely.

And might I add an X2 for this feature. It takes me 5 miles or so of highway driving before mine will lock up. Lots of wasted fuel.

The only car I was able to change this on was an old 87 GN, and I had to do that manualy via a hex editor. It would be really nice though, my 3600 Yank is a P.I.T.A. to drive on the freeway too til it locks.....sigh.

How bout it HP guys? Is it a known parameter that just needs to be added, or is it a mystery memory location that GM hides deep somewhere? If you guys know the address on an 06 E40 6.0, but dont want to add another tab, can you shoot me a PM with the address, I will edit it in a hex editor.
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

X1000000000!

I have a 4000 Circle D in mine and it is pretty crazy at cruising speeds unlocked. Takes roughly 5-6 miles of constant 60mph driving when it's around 40*F outside. This is even after I've let the car sit and warm up some before I take off in it haha.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I know that the table exists & can be edited (I'm currently looking at it with a competitor's software).

All of my vehicles would benefit from this.

Tuner in Training
    EFILive?
    2001 2500 silverado 4x4 ex. cab sb lq4 western 7.5' cable plow

Advanced Tuner
    Be nice but I can live without it
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

^ It was 32deg out this morning. I left my drive way at 110deg e.c.t. It took 3.4 miles for trans to reach 70deg when tcc locks up.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

It is that time of year again! Mileage has gone right in the pooper again in large part due to no torque convertor lock up for 2/3 of my trip to work & back each day.

Still keeping the hope/wish alive........

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Hewitt View Post
    It is that time of year again! Mileage has gone right in the pooper again in large part due to no torque convertor lock up for 2/3 of my trip to work & back each day.

Still keeping the hope/wish alive........
    Try this table.

T42 controller in my truck....that appears to be from a T43.

Senior Tuner
    Good reason to post your tune when asking for help.

Advanced Tuner
    There is a reason that it delays lock-up... Warm tranny temp for proper shifts.... buuuuut when comparing my older trucks to newer trucks... The cold tables must be a a little different. And yes I would like to see cold tables.. I guess a person just has to realize, though, that hptuners and other companies like them are designed for off-road use only, soo it is hard for them to make time to deliver table access like that. But I still wouldnt mind more tables like that, not to hijack, buuuut like cough 4l80e converter lockup cough. lol

Eric

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    Try this table.
    I know this is an old thread but its cold outside again.... Anyone know witch table to look for? 2002 silverado
    thanks

I am in for this too. For me it seems engine temp has to be warm as well. My trans will be over 150 with the engine cold and it won't lock. A 3000 stall in a Silverado warms the trans quick.

Tuner in Training
    yea woudl be nice.. on 20 deg mornings to no have to drive 30 miles to get lockup the gain you cna always keep laptop hooked up and force it into lockup!!!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm