Thread: 3500 Circle D/Built 4L60E - Intermittent Lockup in OD

Red face 3500 Circle D/Built 4L60E - Intermittent Lockup in OD

Trying to help a buddy figure out whats going on here. Recently swapped in the built tranny and has started having problems with the verter not locking up in overdrive. I know virtually nil about auto trans tuning so posting here in hopes to gain at least a similance of a direction in troubleshooting this. Attached are tune, log and config. The log is basically a casual cruise around the local interstate with a couple of wot blasts toward the end. About midway through the log I start manually locking between 3rd and 4th and also trying to manually lock the converter in 4th with no evident changes in logged values. Thanks in advance for any hints or tips.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    can't view the log on this pc but a couple things

The smaller diameter converter will throw off the pcm misfire calucation and if it detects a misfire real or not it will unlock the converter. The misfire tables need to be raised to avoid this. If you can't manualy get it to lock then the trans/converter is the prob. With the 4L60E there are 2 solenoid used for lock up. Both will need to be commanded to lock it.
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

I can't look at the tune here at work but in the TCC settings of the tranny tab there is a TCC minimum Duty % that from the factory is set fairly low so the lockup will somewhat slip into the lockup. Aftermarket convertors don't like this much so you need to fill the minimum table in with a value of ~95%-99% and fill the maximum table to 99%-100%. This will keep the PWM output from pulsing and slipping the convertor clutch into lockup and rather make it more of an on/off switch.

You will need to tune the lockup and un-lock tables quite a bit so that the convertor isn't trying to lockup when there is a load on the convertor. This usually causes an abrupt thud and is really harsh on the clutch. I usually wont let the convertor lockup on anything above 20% TPS and sometimes less than that so the convertor isn't slipping then trying to lockup. It's hard to explain until you feel it for yourself.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I appreciate the tips guys. Couple of minor details I neglected to mention:

1. The converter worked fine with the previous transmission, however the original transmission was thrashed...we're trying to rule out hardware failure without having to pull everything out again :/

2. The truck had been tuned for the converter prior to the swap.

We're starting to lean toward hardware failure. Would a transmission swap warrant any adjustments in the original tune, I guess is the long and short of all this. As I said earlier I'm pretty ignorant to the ins and outs of automatics.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure its full? Or filter seal and filter on correctly?
    Could have gotten lose in shipment
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

He says the fluid is good but he didn't check the filter. Could you elaborate on what the loose filter would do?

Advanced Tuner
    I had a problem with mine and a lose line that 6 months later i lost enough atf that it would hold lock up. I've seen wierd things from a lose filter. it will pull air i do believe if its not in all the way. with a deeper pan like mine has it could probably drop down. with the stock pan its really close to the bottom of the pan and not much room to fall
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85