Thread: '94 Camaro engine swap issue(s?)

Tuner in Training

Exclamation '94 Camaro engine swap issue(s?)

So, a little background first. I'm helping a friend swap a 5.3L from a 2004 Silverado into his Camaro. We're also using the transmission from the silverado minus the 4wd stuff and with a new bell housing (old one was broken). The truck was originally DWB but with an LS1 intake on the engine the DBW throttle body doesn't clear the water pump so we swapped it to DBC. As a result of this conversion we were required to run a 2004 GTO (also 4L60E automatic) tune to get a working tps signal. Using the "copy over differences" function in the HP Tuners comparison log between the two tunes we pulled over the calibrations from the silverado tune. The only issue here is that the silverado PCM can not run the IAC so we've manually (physically) adjusted the IAC for a stable, but high, idle.

The car runs but the fuel trims just keep climbing till they max out. We've richened the tune up significantly already and the trims are still very high. Yes the o2 sensors are plugged in and in the exhaust, we even welded some more pipe on the end of the header thinking they were reading lean because of being so close to the end of the exhaust system... no difference in readings. The car is clearly running rich, you can smell the unburnt fuel and inside the shop the fumes sting the eyes good (in a bad way).

We're running out of ideas on this one.

We also took the car for a short drive today and noticed that the transmission (when in D or OD) is stuck in 3rd gear. Moving the shift lever into 2 or L still has the appropriate affect but in D we're constantly in 3rd. This is new (though we've never driven the set up before) but I thought it might be somehow relevant here.

Included below is the current (richened up) tune on the car and a log from the drive today. The log was just run on the standard config from the VCM scanner. Any information you could pass along regarding our issues would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Nobody? Don't people do this?

I have done it a few times.
    If you want good idle control (very important with auto trans) you need a working IAC. Not every DBW PCM is able to control the IAC because a piece of hardware is needed. You need to open your PCM to check if it has the IAC driver.

Check this thread:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...v-hwd-nos.html

Tuner in Training
    Oh, I already know the PCM has no IAC driver... thats the least of my worries right now...

are you getting any codes? Hard to tell what is causing the trans issue, could be anything from wiring to speedo issue.

the rich trims could be exhaust leak etc. the O2's aren't oscillating and are hanging on the lean side which is why the trims are going rich.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    The o2s are sitting in the end of open headers with about a foot of 3" tube welded onto the back of them... is that enough space?

The speedo reads fine in the VCM scanner but is not connected in the car.

In the VCM controls on the scanner I can select and hear every solenoid except the 3rd gear one (tested in park, engine off).

I'll try and get a hold of any codes tomorrow.

Thanks

if this is a racecar just run in openloop mode and forget about the O2's.
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    Your engine is running way too lean. If the exhaust is burning your eyes, it is usually caused by high NOX levels, which tells me your condition is not a false one. You may have a fuel pressure issue or a MAF calibration issue or something went wrong on the copy/paste.

After looking at your log, I see your MAF g/sec stays at 1.58 g/sec. It could be that you havent properly failed the MAF. I would also recheck your injector data as you have some zero's in the offset table.
    Last edited by ElecTech; 01-30-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Jaime

Tuner in Training
    Checked the fuel pressure, varies between 61 and 64psi which I understand is normal.

There is no MAF actually connected, I set the MAF fail high to 0Hz, was there anything else I was supposed to change to properly fail the MAF? That would be a nice easy fix.

Where is this offset table located? What SHOULD it look like? I have no experience modifying this table so some light here would be appreciated ...

Thanks, as always.