Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6L80E TCC Lockup Questions

So for those looking for good street manner but fully-race lockup. You could raise the range of adaptive pressure +/-so you could avoid lugging and harsh city driving but have the offset to 90 psi and have lockup WOT. So just lower the -adaptive pressure the amount of offest to retain slip at low rpm on the street?

Anyone know if the 258mm twin-disk STS 6L80E converter will fit the LS Flywheel/Trans setup?

Quote Originally Posted by G8-4-speed View Post
    So for those looking for good street manner but fully-race lockup. You could raise the range of adaptive pressure +/-so you could avoid lugging and harsh city driving but have the offset to 90 psi and have lockup WOT. So just lower the -adaptive pressure the amount of offest to retain slip at low rpm on the street?
    Tried that, doesn't work. The TCM just lowers TCC pressure till it sees slip, then raises it a little, then lowers it back down till it slips again. You have to set the offset to the minimum value that your converter will stock locked up at or above.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Advanced Tuner
    Timc, i ditched the stocker, and went with a Yank 3200 SS, i've set the TCC offset to 90PSI, and it's been running great for close to a 1 month, 2 days ago i went to track on brand new Toyo Proxes TQ DR's, with 30 miles break-in in them, and i'm cutting 1.78 60's, still learning how to launch with the verter

Longslyde has also pointed out he went to 80 psi tcc offset, do you know, or anybody else, if 90PSI tcc offset would be too much for the locking clutch in the long run ? should i back that down to 60 psi, watching the tcc slip that should be 0? i want max longevity on the locking clutch, i'm only locking 5th and 6th at part throttle, and thought of asking if 90psi was fine or less psi would be better for the long run ?
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 10-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Too much pressure is not going to hurt the clutch, slippage does. You can play with it if you want but I wouldn't waste the time. Mine's been fine like this for over a year, 15,000 miles.
    1971 Corvette-LS3 swap with custom cam. Stainless headers and sheet metal intake built by the owner. 442rwhp.

2007 STS-V-Billet Precision 67mm turbo swap. 563rwhp@15psi.

1991 Camaro-6.0 swap with LS6 heads and custom cam. Headers and other swap bits fabricated by myself (wife's car)

Tuner
    Have any of you guys figured out how math on the apply pressure ramp table works? I had it at one time, but can't find my notes.
    Pretty sure that the values in it aren't pure final pressure values, that they are either percentages of current line pressure to add or line pressure to add to current.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Too much pressure is not going to hurt the clutch, slippage does. You can play with it if you want but I wouldn't waste the time. Mine's been fine like this for over a year, 15,000 miles.
    Cool, i'll keep at 90PSI. Thanks again Tim.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SICK WS 6 View Post
    Have any of you guys figured out how math on the apply pressure ramp table works? I had it at one time, but can't find my notes.
    Pretty sure that the values in it aren't pure final pressure values, that they are either percentages of current line pressure to add or line pressure to add to current.
    No idea how it works per se, only how it feels. the ramp seems to affect how quickly the clutch applies to lock the verter. I used a similar approach from others who have posted their apply ramp. i set it to 90psi in the areas of mid to high requested engine tq, and used the interporlate function to fill in the lower areas. this is my current apply ramp rate table. Do we know if we need to modify the negative slip cells ? why do we have negative slip in the verter ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    why do we have negative slip in the verter ?
    You don't.
    The offset and gain values set your initial (and from what I've seen, minimum) tcc line pressure. The tcc line pressure will then adjust as necessary by referencing the apply ramp pressure table.
    The negative slip side is probably a theoretical value that gets calculated based on current line pressure and calculated slip. Line pressure will then adjust down based on this calculated value referenced in the apply pressure ramp table.

For example, right now my offset is set at 60 and gain is 1.5. When my converter is commanded to lock, I see 40psi. At WOT, 40 psi doesn't budge my slip rpm so line pressure increases based on the apply ramp pressure table. It then continues to slowly adjust until it settles around 0. This is why the further you get away from 0 slip rpm, the more line pressure adjustment GM has built into the apply ramp pressure table.
    Like I said, I had figured out the math on exactly how it worked.....but I can't find my notes.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Advanced Tuner
    Ty for the explain Sick.

Tuner in Training
    I am having the same problem cruising, my TCC offset pressure is at 26.xx which is stock. I will change that higher and see if that helps. The lock and unlocking is annoying!
    2000 Maple Red Metallic Trans Am A4, Grandfather Left It To Me
    LME 440 LS7|TSP LXR 285cc LS7x|278/286 .718 .702 112+4|Becks Intake 115mm|Direct Port|D&D T56 Mag|McLeod RXT
    2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT SMR||KOOKs 1-7/8"|Corsa|VaraRam|223/231 .610/.617 115+4|3.45s

what if i wanted the stock convertor to never lock-up unless on 6th gear?
    any harm?
    i believe convertor locks up only to drop rpm for better fuel economy but slower throttle response and sluggish driving,, correct me if i am wrong please,,
    09 CTS-V A6

Advanced Tuner
    So the regulator gain actually figures into the math of how much pressure you get at wot? i.e. 90, 1.5

You would get a maximum of 60 right away.

Then your tables will take over. If the table said 90 at wot it would work up to 90?

I always thought the regulator gain was just how fast it initially got to 60 psi. I guess I was wrong.
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

BTW, I figured out my manual short shift issue. If you "enable" lockup at shifts, and adjust TCC lock/unlock to a low RPM, it will cause manual mode to short-shift and skip 4th. Put it back stock and issue went away. Not sure what TCC lockup has to do with MPH shift points, but it screwed up everything I had adjusted that way.

TCC negative pressure on the scale, if you adjust the -40 and -20 at 44ft.lbs and below it to 2 and blend over to the -5 rpm column, it can help if you have a converter nibble on decel. Helps with stock and stalls.
    Rick Crawford
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    11.65 @118.55 1.72 60ft DoD cam, 2600 stall, Crawford ported heads and intake, stock wheels and BFG-KDW tires
    9.95 @134.9 388, 3.45 gear, stock 6L80e ALL Motor!!
    [email protected] 417 LSA Blower-Only, 6L80e, 3.45

Advanced Tuner
    I think the TCC apply table is what is commanded if the tcc is slipping. IE 400 on the X axis means the TCC is slipping 400 rpms at a given torque level. Then a commanded pressure is given. However if you have the gain and offset set to where it is higher I do not think the TCC apply rate table is a factor.

If done correctly and there is virtually no slip the TCC apply rate table in most peoples tune is around 0 to 5 psi at an X axis value of 0. (0 slip). So obviously the TCC apply ramp table does not come into being. Your value from the regulator gain and offset is much higher.

The stock minimum on my 09 G8 is around 17. 26.69/1.5

I have a triple disc Circle D 3800 or so. When I lock in third and fourth at wot I get virtually no slip with a gain of only 40 and an offset of 1. I see a lot of guys commanding at least 60 or even 90. I do not think you need it that high. It is awfully harsh at that level. Especially with a triple disc.
    Last edited by CactusG8; 02-07-2016 at 04:41 PM.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    How would maxing out the TCC Desired Slip tables affect the stock verter? The tables only have cells up to 3k. Why? Would maxing out the tables let the verter flash up to its mechanical limit as oppose to having the tune limit it only 20 rpm?
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Advanced Tuner
    That x axis is "rpm for slip". That is what I was trying to explain. It has nothing to do with the rpm of your engine. This table has nothing to do with letting your converter flash or not. There are other tables to the right of this table which do that. These settings are the clamp force once you command lockup. What I was saying is that the setting that you give it along with the offset are higher values in the actual table for the most part. They exceed the values in the tables unless your converter clutches are slipping a lot and you have extremely high settings in those area of the table which I do. But hopefully your tcc is not slipping 300 or 400 rpms. IF they are not your tcc pressure lockup will never use those values.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    So it's commanding 20 rpm of slip in the converter in between lock/unlock to smooth out the transition?
    Last edited by HeavyChevy305; 02-08-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD