Thread: Carputing in Panic Mode

Tuner in Training

Carputing in Panic Mode

Looks like the makers of Edit are feeling the pain finally. They are offering their product for $450.00, :-/but it's still the same VIN/PCM locked, no scanning/logging capable software. Magnus you just might be able to put 2 companies out of business. ;D

Re: Carputing in Panic Mode

Where did you see that?

Tuner in Training

Yea, I saw that also on their mailing list, if you fill out a questionaire when you order their software, they give you 100$ rebate. People that just bought it are kinda mad that they are now offering this...
    from their site "We want to hear from you! For new LS1-edit customers, fill in our Customer Survey form, include it with your new order, and receive $100 off. This discount applies to all PCM-locked complete new orders for LS1-edit. Here is a link to the survey form. Customer Survey"

That gives yo ua total of 450 not $400

Potential Tuner

I lurk here but wanted to share an experience I had with one of my customers.

He had a locked version of LS1edit and I tuned his car for him with my own equipment. Sometimes I start with a fresh GM file before I start tuning.

Well as it happens his LS1 edit no longer will work with his PCM. Keep in mind the correct Vin # is in the PCM. Well carputing wants to charge my customer $200 to add a 2nd license because they tell him it's not the original PCM. They don't lock to Vin they lock to PCM. Not sure what else they look for in the PCM code and the customer was unable to get the info for me to reset it the way it was.

So I'm in a bind with my customer because I told him LS1 edit would work, but my understanding is it is Vin locked. Not true. Well I do what I can for my customer to rectify the situation, but no budging by carputing.

The bottom line is if you ever have to replace your PCM or want to have a 2nd PCM for your car as a backup you will need 2 licenses for your LS1 edit.

Something to think about.

Mike Morgan
    http://www.e-tune.net

Senior Tuner

This is exactly why I didn't buy Edit, and did dollar down
    for HPTuners (I already have logger software too).

I hope Carputing's ass-pain only grows, anyone with
    that kind of licensing policy deserves bankruptcy.

Potential Tuner

As a LS1Edit customer, I must also express my dissatisfaction with them. Their existing customers mean nothing to them. They send their upgrades by email, but won't send it to an MSN email address because MSN has file size limitations. Hogwash!! They make you give them a non-microsoft email address, then that person can forward it to you. They are very arrogant.

They would have been smart to extend their $100 discount to those that recently purchased. They should have helped the guy that could no longer access his CPU after having someone work on it, but they want their $200. Before you buy, they pretend to care. After you buy, you mean nothing. I have used all the licenses that I bought from them, and I will buy no more. Besides, their software is not totally without some glitches.

$ is their only driving force. I will be glad to see them disappear

Kudos to HP Tuners!!

I believe that charging 8k for a tuner package is outrageous... really... so is $5k-7K.

They do lock to additional stuff other than vin.

I do not like their greedyness nor their arrogant way of doing business. Nor do I like people that believe they are god. Everything is money to everyone and nothing given back to the community... Which is totally not fair.. I certeinly hope that with the advancement in a few companies competitiong gets stronger.

I read in another forum of a similar DIY Forum (like this one before) with the difference that it will not become a business (no attack intended) and the guy told me that they were going to post Detailed info on how to flash teh PCM. A complete log on how to flash the PCM for all those DIYs.

The converter schematics will be posted and there will be a converter for sale... Not sure whose, but all I say is what he told me.

I certainly hope that this brings price down from all computing software.

Aside to that 2004 will provide the J2534 standard where i believe companies must provide the API and the cal info..

Hope this helps...

Tuner in Training

Sorry about the price error. Regardless after reading your replies, I still think my money for VCM Suite was spent wisely. Check out the beta image of EFI Live 6. Looks like they want to tune as well. It just amazes me that Edit had the monopoly for almost 5 years.

[img][/img] How do you insert an image in a Post?

My replies where not meant to say that money wasn't wisely spent... I will/am a costumer.

Tuner in Training

I sent you a PM Highlander. No offense taken at all.

Tuner in Training

The_Highlander

I read in another forum of a similar DIY Forum (like this one before) with the difference that it will not become a business (no attack intended)
    That's how the world works, but nothing worth it's while should be free....

Advanced Tuner

Can you believe this post by Ken just to sell LS1Edit to someone > > >>

If you purchase a copy of LS1-edit from someone else, here are the costs:

1) $50 transfer fee to move the license from the original customer to you

If you get the PCM and software with it, that is all you would have to do.

If you don't have that PCM, then you would have to add another PCM to the Package that would be:

2) $150 for the new license
    3) $50 for shipping and handling (you have to return the interface to us for upgrading)
    4) if the initial order is over 6 months old (or if the update service was purchased more than 12 months ago) then you would need the update service ($100).

Ken

Brian Blackman wrote:

> I am going to sell my LS1Edit. What do I need to be telling a buyer?
    > What will he have to pay to have it switched to his VIN?
    >
    > Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

Loyde

Quote Originally Posted by fetumpsh

That's how the world works, but nothing worth it's while should be free....
    Sorry to disagree... but sometimes the best things in life are free... How would you feel if I told you I give you a flash programmer that costs the cost of the hardware? vin unlocked and all?

Carputing has a very tough and strong pricing and I believe they are very greedy. I was banned from their list for promoting this site...

I do not see why it would cost you $50 to ship you a freaking cable it costs $4.30 via USPS priority Mail.

I do not see why would you want to "transfer" the license... all you need to do is the original owner to add a pcm and sell it after the pcm was added.. Period.

They had the monopoly. I cant wait for the site to be up. All I have is rumors. If it will be up it will be nice and I will be posting there. Specially 98 ls1 stuff including commands to send to the pcm. seed/key algo and all calibration info. And I have to thank GAMEOVER for His help on the checksum calculation (which I haven't used yet) but it was useful info for all of us.

If it doesn't materialize... oh well... I shall wait... I only say its a bit tough to shell out 8.5k or 7k for a complete ls1 programmer when the market here is uncertain.