Thread: GM TSB regarding aftermarket tuning

Advanced Tuner

GM TSB regarding aftermarket tuning

Here is a GM TSB from 2009 about aftermarket tuning. Does HPTuner software zero out the Verification Number like this arcticle shows?

INFORMATIONBulletin No.: 09-06-04-026ADate: October 28, 2009Subject: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas EnginesModels:2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines OnlyAttention:This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For all other gas powered engine applications, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033C. For Duramax(TM) diesel powered engines, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006F.Supercede:This bulletin is being revised to add a graphic and information about the Tech 2(R) screen displaying all zeroes and add Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-026 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That's because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different from those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.In May 2009, the PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified.

the CVN's are not zero'd but they will not match the OEM CVN's.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    Chris,
    Is this after any write? or if stock tune is reapplied it returns?

if you load the stock tune the CVN's will also be stock. The CVN's are basically checksums for each segment of the calibration.
    I count sheep in hex...

Chris, Can you verify what, If any, ECM's have the dreaded "Flash Counter"? I know the Dmax stores the history of the last 10 flashes (rolling count) done to the ecm. I heard the new Camaros do also but cannot verify.
    Just hearsay at this point on this, but my buddy works at a GM dealer up here and a customer cracked a Dmax piston and GM sent a rep up to look it over before a warranty claim was issued. It had stock tuning in it at the time but something made him kick the claim. He did this after looking at the ecm info pretty hard. Maybe some other guys have more info whether the "Flash Counter" is real or not. Or which ECM's have it activated. Thanks!
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Forged 6.2L Flex Fuel Tuned
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Yes, it runs on E85 too and LOVES it! ;D

I don't keep up to date with that stuff, but the trend is to improve methods of tracking calibration changes.

I'm a "pay to play" kinda guy... new car warranty is for electric windows, doorlocks and filler caps that don't close
    I count sheep in hex...

LOL! I am in exactly the same boat. I've payed to play a few times in my life. I look at it this way, if something breaks, then it needs to be upgraded anyway. Thanks!
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Forged 6.2L Flex Fuel Tuned
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Yes, it runs on E85 too and LOVES it! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Longslyde View Post
    Chris, Can you verify what, If any, ECM's have the dreaded "Flash Counter"? I know the Dmax stores the history of the last 10 flashes (rolling count) done to the ecm. I heard the new Camaros do also but cannot verify.
    Just hearsay at this point on this, but my buddy works at a GM dealer up here and a customer cracked a Dmax piston and GM sent a rep up to look it over before a warranty claim was issued. It had stock tuning in it at the time but something made him kick the claim. He did this after looking at the ecm info pretty hard. Maybe some other guys have more info whether the "Flash Counter" is real or not. Or which ECM's have it activated. Thanks!
    Even if you reflash the stock calibrations in, the complete history of all calibrations in any module shows up as a histogram ?. therefore, they CAN see if you had an "aftermarket tune" in it ? even if that was 10 years ago!