Thread: Looking for tips for a towing tune for the 4L60

Potential Tuner

Looking for tips for a towing tune for the 4L60

Hey all, I've got an '04 Colorado 2WD Z85 with the 3.5L and 4L60, with a 3.42 rearend and 31" tires.

I'm getting to a point where more and more I'm using the truck for hauling a 16' enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it, and am looking for some tips for creating a tune specifically for towing, mainly interested in suggestions for modifications to trans/TCC settings.

I did try searching for "towing" looking for general tips, but wasn't able to find much, it seems most of the threads got started by people trying to resolve a current issue. I'm not specifically looking to get the rpms into a certain range or avoid shifts at certain times, but interested more generally in which way people have changed certain settings to improve a tune for towing, and, obviously, very interested in what not to do.

Right now I get about 10mpg towing the trailer, which I don't consider atrocious, but anything that could be done to improve that would be beneficial. Also, I've got 161k miles on the truck, and have a few years left on the loan for the G8, so getting a new truck isn't in my near future. With that in mind, any tips to preserve trans life would also be greatly appreciated.

Heat and slip (which generates heat) are the main causes of automatic transmission failures. More frequent shifts (especially 3>4 & 4>3 cycling) will also cause premature wear of the clutch packs - especially with a 4L60.

With many older vehicles running a 4L60, the owners manual would instruct you to tow in "D" (3rd) and not in O/D (4th) - to address the above issues.

With your setup I would recommend 4 things:
    • TransGo 4L60E-HD2 reprogramming kit
    • an auxiliary transmission oil cooler
    • towing in "D" (3rd) - especially with an I5
    • keeping the TC locked in 3rd as much as possible while towing
    This will reduce fuel economy marginally while towing, but will greatly increase transmission longevity.

and for my Canyon (same motor and tranny) i found that i am able to tweek the TC lock and unlock points. you should be able to with your 04
    Nick
    1997 Grand Am 2.4L. (gaownersclub.com)
    2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4x4 3.5L (355Naton.net)
    2009 Harley-Davidson XL883C (XLForum.net)