Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New scanner VCM Controls

Arrow VCM Controls - Fast Learn and Trans Cleaning

Guys,

I've added two new controls and new status PIDs to the scanner for the A6 trans. These are the same procedures the Tech2 commands.

Fast Learn:
    Trigger the transmission fast learn procedure. Before starting the procedure, you must log the PID "Fast Learn Status" in the scanner to be informed of various required operator actions and steps in the process. You have 2 seconds to comply with any instructions such as Selecting D or R, otherwise the test will be aborted. The engine must be running at idle, transmission temperature 70 - 95 DegC, vehicle not moving and brake pedal must be applied during the entire test. Please note during this test the engine speed will increase and decrease automatically and various clutch noises may be heard from the transmission.

Trans Cleaning Procedure:
    Begin the transmission cleaning procedure. Before starting the procedure, you must log the PID "Cleaning Status" in the scanner to be informed of the current process status. Enable conditions: Engine running at idle, vehicle not moving, transmission selector in Park, transmission temperature 70 - 110 DegC. Please note during this test the engine speed will increase and decrease automatically and various clutch noises may he heard from the transmission.

2.23.509 or later

Enjoy

Extra Info:

Fast Learn works by purging all the clutches, then asks you to select Drive calibrates pressures and then asks you to select Reverse and calibrates pressures. This is to reduce the time it takes for the transmission to purge all air from the lines and learn adaptive values, especially when new internal components have been fitted to the trans or the oil completely drained and refilled etc. There's no need to do this after every reflash, especially if you are just changing shift speeds or torque management.

Cleaning Procedure can help to remove residue from the individual clutch solenoids (pressure regulators). It does this by rapidly pulsing clutches. I have heard from service technicians that this procedure usually makes a higher mileage trans feel a little better, but can also be the final straw for a trans that is just about to fail.
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 01-31-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: changed name since this is a sticky, added extra info
    I count sheep in hex...

Very cool! Should fast learn be done after every reflash?

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

I've worked with Fast Learn for some time now. Although it's not necessary to do after every flash, it does decrease the time it takes to learn what your tune intended. This is the same procedure that GM uses after they install a new or reman'd transmission to get it to learn the correct clutch volumes, pressures, etc.
    Last edited by Longslyde; 01-31-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Forged 6.2L Flex Fuel Tuned
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Yes, it runs on E85 too and LOVES it! ;D

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thanks for the heads up Longslyde, I've stickied this post as it should help
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Guys,

I've added two new controls and new status PIDs to the scanner for the A6 trans. These are the same procedures the Tech2 commands.

Fast Learn:
    Trigger the transmission fast learn procedure. Before starting the procedure, you must log the PID "Fast Learn Status" in the scanner to be informed of various required operator actions and steps in the process. You have 2 seconds to comply with any instructions such as Selecting D or R, otherwise the test will be aborted. The engine must be running at idle, transmission temperature 70 - 95 DegC, vehicle not moving and brake pedal must be applied during the entire test. Please note during this test the engine speed will increase and decrease automatically and various clutch noises may be heard from the transmission.

Trans Cleaning Procedure:
    Begin the transmission cleaning procedure. Before starting the procedure, you must log the PID "Cleaning Status" in the scanner to be informed of the current process status. Enable conditions: Engine running at idle, vehicle not moving, transmission selector in Park, transmission temperature 70 - 110 DegC. Please note during this test the engine speed will increase and decrease automatically and various clutch noises may he heard from the transmission.

2.23.509 or later

Enjoy
    Where are they?

Fast Learn works by purging all the clutches, then asks you to select Drive calibrates pressures and then asks you to select Reverse and calibrates pressures. This is to reduce the time it takes for the transmission to purge all air from the lines and learn adaptive values, especially when new internal components have been fitted to the trans or the oil completely drained and refilled etc. There's no need to do this after every reflash, especially if you are just changing shift speeds or torque management.

Cleaning Procedure can help to remove residue from the individual clutch solenoids (pressure regulators). It does this by rapidly pulsing clutches. I have heard from service technicians that this procedure usually makes a higher mileage trans feel a little better, but can also be the final straw for a trans that is just about to fail.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

A good idea is to reset then preset all adapts before you do a Fast Learn.

Just so no one panics the first time they do this, when you initiate a fast learn, The vehicle will not move. This is normal. I've had a few guys think they messed up the tcm and reflashed to get it to move. Although a reflash works to get it to move again because it resets the tcm, there was no problem to begin with. It just needs to complete the process. Take care!
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

yes i've added the status PIDs to the scanner you can see the progress of the tests. It is required so that you know when to engage Drive or Reverse during the test.
    I count sheep in hex...

Thanks Chris! That's another bump above the other guys on this tranny!
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Advanced Tuner
    assume this is only for the 6lxxE transmissions?

As far as I know, the fast learn is only on the 6l's due to the clutch-to-clutch handoff...
    2017 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    Twin Turbo 13 PSI
    8L90E Transmission
    3.23 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    assume this is only for the 6lxxE transmissions?
    yes, only the A6's.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Excellent work guys, Chris, i'll shoot an email soon to get the new HPT version
    Same question as Dsteck, is fast learn needed after every reflash ? or just when when you feel the trans is not behaving good, ex, aflter one of those aftermarket handeld devices have messed with the way the trans work ?

Edited, i just read Chris "extra info" in the first post. thanks again.
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 02-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seevi View Post
    Where are they?
    I cannot find the new PID's in the latest version .509. Where are they?

Transmission Diagnostics
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Longslyde View Post
    A good idea is to reset then preset all adapts before you do a Fast Learn.

Just so no one panics the first time they do this, when you initiate a fast learn, The vehicle will not move. This is normal. I've had a few guys think they messed up the tcm and reflashed to get it to move. Although a reflash works to get it to move again because it resets the tcm, there was no problem to begin with. It just needs to complete the process. Take care!
    Lognslyde, can you expand a little ?
    On the first paragraph, should it be done like this ?

1.) click trans adapt reset
    2.) click trans fast adapt reset
    3.) click trans adapt preset
    4.) then Click Fast Learn, and go through the process layout by Chris

For the 2nd one,
    The vehicle will not move after the fast learn process have completed?, or if for any reason you stop the process in the middle of it?, like lifting from the brakes, Chris said brakes should be applied during the entire learn process.

Thanks again for your informative posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    Transmission Diagnostics

Advanced Tuner
    Seevi, look one more tab down, Trans diagnostics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
    Seevi, look one more tab down, Trans diagnostics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    My version doesn't have that option. Will check for update to the Beta.

That's for your assistance.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by seevi View Post
    My version doesn't have that option. Will check for update to the Beta.

That's for your assistance.
    Go into your "Documents/HPTuners/VCMScanner/Vehicles" folder and delete the .os files. This will force the scanner to re-poll the ECM for supported PID's and see if it comes up.
    Jaime