Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New scanner VCM Controls

Advanced Tuner
    Help with this fast learn procedure, i just did to my car to test 5min ago, went through the process, but it never asked me to put reverse, the procedure completed, as the status said completed. Then istopped the scanner, shutdown the engine, restarted the engine, and now the trans won't move, i can select D or R, and the trans acts like if it was in Neutral, is there something else i'm supposed to do ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 05-31-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Reflash the ECM/TCM
    TSP H/C 430WHP

Advanced Tuner
    I just came by from a test drive. i started the engine 5 minutes later after i made the post, so i figure 5-8 min went by, and i was going to do another fast learn, but i was curious to see if the TCM just needed a little time, so i switched the trans into reverse, and to my pleasant surprise, the trans was working as expected, then i just slapped the trans in D and went in for a test drive.

In the initial test drive, all shifts were acting up, the trans was flaring a little, specially the 2-3 shift, i figured the trans needed to go through all the gears to learn pressure/shit times etc,? anyways, i ran through the gears 3 times in normal mode, just cruising, before the flares went away. it did the same in Sport mode, so i just went through all the gears again, 3 times, and the flares went away for Sport mode. then did the same for Manual mode, but manual didn't appear ro be flaring anyways, still, i checked all the gears.

After that, i did a couple of power downshifts, just in case, and the first try, the 6-2, 3-2, 6-4 had a weird delay, 2nd time all of the downshifts were executed as they should.

Trans is a lot smoother, perhaps in my mind, but something i noticed for sure is that my 3-2 downshift in manual wasn't rev matching, never did it before, i changed stuff in the trans trying to get that 3-2 downshift to do the rev matching, and always bothered me with a regular 3-2 downshift, i've been driving the car for 70k miles, and i never got to enjoy a good 3-2 rev matching downshift, always had to wait to be doing 20 mph or so for it to happen. after the relearn, that's working now as i always thought it should work.
    did one at 40mph and holy cow that sounded good

Advanced Tuner
    Weird is that i never saw the switch the trans into Reverse.
    I saw
    Apply brakes
    put trans in D
    Purging, at this time the trans started making noises
    then Calibrating D, more noises
    after that the PID changed to completed.

There was a little time when i was staring at the tachometer, in between the purging status and calibrating D, but i figure if the process would've asked for reverse, and i didn't follow, then the process would've failed ?

Oh well, appears to be all good now.

the T43 is such a complicated beast that it wouldn't surprise me that even a scan tool feature acts weird once in a while.

The feature is intended to make the learn for a new trans faster so a service guy doesn't have to drive for miles to get things working about right. It holds the trans in gear and ramps up pressure until things stop slipping, supposedly in D and R. Once you start driving it will continue to learn the pressures.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the clarification Chris.

We tried this yesterday with a C6 500+ RWHP 3600 Stall.
    Seemed to go through the purging sequence, then stall after about 4 minutes of cycles.

We never got a completed test because the test car, normally a very good running C6, would just stall, but it was a weird stall. It wasnt a like im choking cough cough stall, It was like just cut off stop.

We tried three times, with the same results.

We took the car for a ride, and 3-4 seemed off, the other shifts stayed very smooth like that had before.

The owner is on this forum, so im sure he's jump in and say how the car learned on the 50 minute drive home.

Update:
    I just got a call from the owner and he said the car shifts much better now after some driving.

WOT is very crisp. Hell I thought it was before and now its better lol.
    Last edited by Phil'sC5Vette; 06-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    High stall converters won't pass the test IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil'sC5Vette View Post
    We tried this yesterday with a C6 500+ RWHP 3600 Stall.
    Seemed to go through the purging sequence, then stall after about 4 minutes of cycles.

We never got a completed test because the test car, normally a very good running C6, would just stall, but it was a weird stall. It wasnt a like im choking cough cough stall, It was like just cut off stop.

We tried three times, with the same results.

We took the car for a ride, and 3-4 seemed off, the other shifts stayed very smooth like that had before.

The owner is on this forum, so im sure he's jump in and say how the car learned on the 50 minute drive home.

Update:
    I just got a call from the owner and he said the car shifts much better now after some driving.

WOT is very crisp. Hell I thought it was before and now its better lol.
    11.49 @ 118 1.49 60' Bolt on 2010 IOM Camaro

www.6l80etuning.com 6L80/90 Tuning

this is correct, the ECM uses coverter slip in its calculations.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    this is correct, the ECM uses coverter slip in its calculations.
    Any way you can write VCM to allow for an adjustable TCC line value vs the 594 displayed when you engage the clutch with scanner. If I could apply a much lower value, I could limit the slip at idle and possibly get the high stall converters to pass the re-learn test.

Advanced Tuner
    I got some verification from a guy that uses Tech2 to do the trans learn procedures for GM cars at the dealer, that in G8's, the scanner doesn't ask for Reverse, only drive.
    This is what he said:

"Ive never seen it command me to put in reverse. Just drive. Sometimes it is done in Park. I know my G8 was just commanded to do drive. Then put in park, then it will tell you to cycle ignition in order to regain forward and reverse. If not done in order you will not have any gears "

Advanced Tuner
    gm actually took the re-learn/ fast learn out of the latest tech2/ tech2 win tis software for most vehicles.
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    gm actually took the re-learn/ fast learn out of the latest tech2/ tech2 win tis software for most vehicles.
    Didn't they move it to GWS or something like that. I remember having to show my dealership where it was. Lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Didn't they move it to GWS or something like that. I remember having to show my dealership where it was. Lol

No GDS is only for certain 2010 and newer vehicles,, they took it out of all the latest software updates, gm now says to just drive the vehicle after trans repair or tcm replacement/re-program
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
    No GDS is only for certain 2010 and newer vehicles,, they took it out of all the latest software updates, gm now says to just drive the vehicle after trans repair or tcm replacement/re-program
    GDS, that's it. Well at least HP still has it. EVERY car that was having serious issues worked perfect after the relearn. The HP adaptive reset seems to do nothing until the relearn process is accomplished. I actually use another software to clear TCM adapts if I feel a relearn is not necessary.

Senior Tuner
    when it dies, you can force it to keep it running, or let it die, stop the scanner, shut the vehicle off, and get out for 2-3 mins. this will reset everything and you can fire it up and drive away.

did this twice last night.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    when it dies, you can force it to keep it running, or let it die, stop the scanner, shut the vehicle off, and get out for 2-3 mins. this will reset everything and you can fire it up and drive away.

did this twice last night.
    reflash = 30 sec

Potential Tuner
    I have tried the fast learn in two separate cars with the trans temp in the 170s, in park with my foot on the brake and it says disabled. Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedkills View Post
    I have tried the fast learn in two separate cars with the trans temp in the 170s, in park with my foot on the brake and it says disabled. Any thoughts?
    Well it definitely should have worked in the Camaro. I'll do some more digging. Camaro1 is a GM tech, he may have seen this before. With the trans temp too low, you will get the message "trans temp too low" or something very similar.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedkills View Post
    Have you tried the trans clean procedure? I wonder if your just not communicating with the TCM correctly.