Thread: 4l80 segment swap question

Tuner in Training

4l80 segment swap question

Ok guys, I've searched through the trans section and I haven't seen the answer I need. Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but I can't find it.

Do I need to do a segment swap to convert an 02 2500 from the 5 speed manual to a 4l80? Or can I simply switch it to a 4l80 in the transmission shift properties menu since it is already a 2500 tune? Thanks for the info.

I'm in the process of replacing a th400 with a 4l80 and so i'm curious what you found in your journey? I too have noticed the selection in the transmission shift properties menu and was wondering if that's all it took when changing transmissions, or if i also had to do the segment swap, which i'd hate to spend a $100 just for a piece of another vcm.

Yes you need a segment swap.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

So i need a segment swap....got it. So what is the transmission shift properties menu for? Why does it even give me the option to change transmissions. And is there a reference for segment #'s so i can look up what my ecm segements are?

Tuner
    I've wondered that myself. What are those drop down menu's for? No one seems to have an answer either.

Here is the official word on segment swaps...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-Segment-swaps
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    I've wondered that myself. What are those drop down menu's for? No one seems to have an answer either......
    From what I read in some OS it may work, but may also have other tables that are not altered creating issue and anomalies.
    No guarantee it will work.

It appears the drop down menu is only for describing in the tune what you have. If you hit Ctrl-D it will pull up details on the controller the tune came from as well as the OS and segment ID's. In those details it also shows engine size and transmission type. The engine size drop down menu and tranny drop down menu selections I don't believe does anything but change that detail description.

You need to find a tune file with a 4L80E that has the same OS as your tune file.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Fair enough, that was my dreaded assumption, but i left a little room for hope that those drop downs might have more control. I did read a week or two ago that the segment swap ability for users is in Beta testing, that'll be a very convenient ability to have.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its been discussed so many times, makes me reconsider why we added it back in after taking it out of the software for so many years SMH
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

One more question i thought of on my trans swap. The 1st and 2nd gears that i put in my 4l80 is the lower 2.97 set. Will i be able to change the gear ratios via hp tuners via the transmission shift properties menu? Or am i going to need some custom work on the segment itself at the Bit level? Or would it be better to use a 4l60 segment since those are close in ratio (3.07 1st)?

bump?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    bump?
    email support your .hpt file and I'll see what I can do.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"